none
Contingency Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to present all possible contingency scenarios for a project. To do this, I would like to have a ghost contingency task that, when deactivated, does not affect the project timeline. However, when the contingency task is activated, it directly follows the decision task and delays all of the tasks that originally followed the decision task.

For example:

Say we originally plan to have an electrician survey a system (decision task) before having a technician service the system (original following task). The technician can not service the system until the electrician allows it (aka, the original following task cannot commence without approval). The electrician determines that the system needs work and will not approve until the work is done. Therefore, the electrical work (contingency task) must be completed before the technician can service the system (original following task). 

I foresee that the electrician may need to do electrical work and would like to analyze the different timing scenarios before the project begins. I understand that this can be displayed manually, but for the sake of ease, I would like to be able to quickly alter between different scenarios by activating and deactivating tasks.

Is this possible? If so, how would I do this?

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 8:59 PM

Answers

• alstontsmith,

How about this approach. I set up the scenario you describe as follows

Then by inactivating the contingency task via the Active field, that task is effectively removed from the sequence

This sequence can be repeated for multiple "what if" scenarios.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by alstontsmith Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:18 PM