none
Restrict specific resources from editing and deleting in Projects/project sites for the specific projects in Project Server 2013. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on Project Server 2013.

I have a list of some users who should only view projects/project sites but they should not be able to make any changes(No task editing, No list editing/deletion). 

I tried this with "Edit project permissions" option given in the projects ribbon but it's not helping as i can't deny anything from there.

I want to restrict a group/an individual from editing any project related information.

Let me know the way, I can implement this security.

Hope, I am clear.

sandeep

Monday, July 6, 2015 1:32 PM

Answers

• If the users are in the Portfolio Managers group, they will have access to edit. The Portfolio Viewers group has access to view, but not to edit. If you are using Project Server security, then you can customize your security matrix to support your goals. Designing a security matrix is not something we can do through a forum.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:55 PM
  • The users will have the permission to edit the project itself if they have the "save" permission to the project. Regarding the project site they will get modify permissions for the project site when they are in the project team. For viewing the site there is a separate category permission.

So you should not put these people into the project team if they should only read the site and not edit anything.

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:18 PM

All replies

• Sandeep, your post is missing much information. Assuming that these are SharePoint List projects, and not Enterprise Projects, you need to control these permissions at the Project Site level.

Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, July 6, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Hi Gar, Thanks for the prompt reply.

My question was for Enterprise projects not tasks list.

For more clarity, Suppose there are users(Say portfolio managers of different portfolio) who only want to go through the project tasks and project sites data(For Specific Projects), so therefore should not be able to edit anything. Only Project Managers should have edit rights on those projects.

Hope, I am clear now.

sandeep

Monday, July 6, 2015 3:57 PM
  • If the users are in the Portfolio Managers group, they will have access to edit. The Portfolio Viewers group has access to view, but not to edit. If you are using Project Server security, then you can customize your security matrix to support your goals. Designing a security matrix is not something we can do through a forum.

Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Agree with you Gary, But i am trying to restrict specific users from editing for specific projects. i have tried that using "Edit Project permissions" but it's not working.

Hoping your kind response.

sandeep

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:01 PM
  • If you agree with me, then you know that I cannot answer this question for you without studying your requirements and existing security. The most specific answer I can give you is you use groups and categories for this purpose.

Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 12:08 AM
  • Thanks so much for your guidance..

sandeep

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 5:06 AM
  • The users will have the permission to edit the project itself if they have the "save" permission to the project. Regarding the project site they will get modify permissions for the project site when they are in the project team. For viewing the site there is a separate category permission.

So you should not put these people into the project team if they should only read the site and not edit anything.

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Friday, July 10, 2015 12:18 PM