none
Windows 8 Hyper-V - Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine

Question

• I have Hyper-v running on Dell Precision T3600 with Windows 8 OS.  I am trying to start a VM (called Windows8VM) to install Windows 8 in the hyper-v virtual machine, but I keep getting the following message:

"Windows8VM" failed to start.

Failed to start the virtual machine "Windows8VM" because one of the Hyper-V components is not running.

"Windows8VM" failed to start.  (Virtual machine ID D670D3BB-9AE2-0453D-9191-EA6EFC242A9C)

The Virtual Machine Management Services failed to start the virtual machine "Windows8VM" because one of the Hyper-V components is not running.

I have turned the hyper-v feature on in the "Turn Windows feature on or off.  The BIOS has virtualization enable.  Help!!! driving me nuts for a week now.

Nick :(

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:20 PM

Answers

• Finally got it to work.  Our admin lock down the devices that could be installed on the computer.  It turned out that one of the vm devices was not allowed to be installed.  Thank community.

nick

• Marked as answer by nickpatel Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:26 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:26 PM

All replies

• you need to enable both VT / V and Trusted Execution Prevention / Data Execution Prevention (this goes by lots of names) in the BIOS.

Then you need to cold boot.  Full power off and power on, not just reboot.

Also, make sure your BIOS is up to date, and any other motherboard firmware.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:52 PM
  • I turned on both Intel Virtualization Technology and VT for direct I/O on the bios.  I did do a cold boot.  I looked at the log again and the following 4 logs showed up for Hyper-V-VMMS

1) 'Virtual Machine Bus' driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Check your settings or try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.

2) 'Storage Virtualization Service Provider' driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Check your settings or try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.

3) The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine 'Windows8VM' because one of the Hyper-V components is not running (Virtual machine ID B1530896-3D68-41C3-A039-DEB9D3C7DD42).

4) 'Windows8VM' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID B1530896-3D68-41C3-A039-DEB9D3C7DD42)

number 2 seem like an interesting message. Device manager doesn't show errors or show that device.  any suggestions?

nick

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Data Execution Prevention is required.  You have not menitoned that.  It is now generally seen in the Security section of many BIOSes.

Without it, the Role will install, but the hypervisor will not start.

And, as mentioned before.  Make sure you are at the latest BIOS revision as well.

Direct I/O is different.  It is an add-on that might of might not work properly depending on the age of your motherboard and BIOS.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Yeah, I saw that (DEP) on one of the websites, it is enabled in Windows 8.  The BIOS is current according to Dell website.  I went to security in the BIOS and didn't see anything talking about DEP.  The following items were in the security section of the bios.

Intel TXT(LT-SX) configuration  - this is disable, and I can't enabled it

TPM  Security - disable

Computrace - deactivated

and handful of other things, but nothing indicating DEP.  The only related thing I could set is Virtualization Support which includes Virtualization (enabled)  and VT for Direct I/O (i've enable and disable this, but make no difference).

In Windows 8, under performance options, DEP is turned on.  At the bottom it says "Your computer's supports hardware-based DEP."  

Nick

• Edited by nickpatel Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Your hardware might support it, but unless it is on in the BIOS it does not matter.

This is common with older BIOS revisions, a partial implementation in the BIOS that ends in the hypervisor not being able to initialize (the Sony VIAO was classic for this).

It can also be called Trusted Execution, NX, etc.  Not TPM.

Also, Client Hyper-V requires SLAT (Server Hyper-V does not).  But if you enabled using the GUI it would test for it.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:30 PM
  • On my Dell Latitudes there is a Virtualization Support section in the BIOS with "Trusted Execution"

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Okay,  I turned off hyper-v, went to bios and enabled Intel TXT(LT-SX) Configuration.  Made sure that both Virtualization and VT for Direct I/0 are on.  Next, I turned on Hyper-V and I create a brand new Virtual Machine call Windows8 and had the DVD point to Windows8 ISO file on hard drive.  When I clicked on start, it stayed in the Starting status mode for about 5 minutes.  Then of course it failed.  I looked at the Hyper-V-VMMS log and here is what it output:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS/Admin

1) Error: The virtualization infrastructure driver (VID) is not running.

2) Info:  Found a certificate for server authentication. Remote access to virtual machines is now possible.

3) Info:  Successfully started the Virtual Machine migration connection manager.

4) Info:  Virtual Machine Management service is started successfully.

5) Info:  The WMI provider 'VmmsWmiInstanceAndMethodProvider' has started.

6) Info:  The WMI provider 'VmmsWmiEventProvider' has started.

7) Info:  The WMI provider 'VmmsWmiInstanceAndMethodProvider' has started.

8) Info:  The WMI provider 'VmmsWmiEventProvider' has started.

9) Info:  The Integration Services Setup Disk image was successfully updated.

10) Error: The virtual machine bus is not running.

11) Error: 'Virtual Machine Bus' driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Check your settings or try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.

12) Error: 'Storage Virtualization Service Provider' driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Check your settings or try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.

13) Error:  The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to start the virtual machine 'Window8' because one of the Hyper-V components is not running (Virtual machine ID 2B393AF4-7B7E-4243-805B-23C09D20F4FB).

14) Error:  'Window8' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 2B393AF4-7B7E-4243-805B-23C09D20F4FB)

Nick

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

Please go to Services.msc and start Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service manually for a test.

If you encounter any error message, please let us know it.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Finally got it to work.  Our admin lock down the devices that could be installed on the computer.  It turned out that one of the vm devices was not allowed to be installed.  Thank community.

nick

• Marked as answer by nickpatel Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:26 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Nick I am facing a similar error message of yours ... please explain more on how to solve this issue.
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Nick - what was the fix for this?
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 12:36 PM
  • It has been awhile, but I believe it was a group policy implemented by our Network Admin.  When that policy was lifted, I believe it worked.

Best Regards,

Nick

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:12 PM