none
Exchange 2007 Server With Multiple Accepted Domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I am working on an exchange 2007 server which hosts multiple accepted domain names, lets say for example; domainA.com, domainB.com, domainC.com. And is part of a domain called domain.local. We are trying to setup a 3rd party application internally which sends out email notifications. Based on the logs authentication is established with exchange but emails do not go through. The log shows the following error. I have already set the defaultdomain on the receive connector to "domain.local". Has anyone seen this happen or has been able to resolve this ?

Sender user@domainA.com; is not accepted
    Server reports: [501 5.1.7 Invalid address]
    ERROR - The message has not been sent because server rejected it for some reason

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:36 PM

Answers

• Check the SMTP protocol log. Is there really a semicolon in the MAIL FROM address?

BTW, I don't think you'd want to use domain.local as your default domain. You should set it to one of the domains in the accepted domains list.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Maybe it does, but unless there's an e-mail address in your directory that matches the value in the MAIL FROM (i.e. the address with the semicolon in it) it's not going to work.

Honestly, I'd call "bull$shit" on the vendor's answer. I can't recall seeing a semicolon in an SMTP address in more than 15 years of looking at them. I've seen plenty of "+" and "%", but never a ";".

Most often, a ";" is used as an address separator in the e-mail client.

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:35 PM

All replies

• Check the SMTP protocol log. Is there really a semicolon in the MAIL FROM address?

BTW, I don't think you'd want to use domain.local as your default domain. You should set it to one of the domains in the accepted domains list.

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:44 AM
  • yes there is a semicolon there that could be a bug withing the 3rd party software no ? 
    Friday, December 20, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Yes, that's where the problem lies, not with Exchange. If I'm not mistaken, the ";" can be used (as can many other characters) in the "Mailbox" part of the SMTP address, but only if it's "escaped". Let's just say that it's an unusual character to include in an e-mail address.

You can check RFC 2821 and 2822 to see how to handle this, but the simplest way would be to remove it from the address. I expect it's a typo that never should have been there in the first place.

Friday, December 20, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Thanks Rich,

I dont know why the software would put a semi colon after the senders address, I will have to verify the error is not on the users end.

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:08 PM
  • So I was able to modify the EML file created by the application and by removing the semicolon after the senders address the email went through successfully , but Support for the application claim that their software email notifications work just fine for many other dealers.
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Maybe it does, but unless there's an e-mail address in your directory that matches the value in the MAIL FROM (i.e. the address with the semicolon in it) it's not going to work.

Honestly, I'd call "bull$shit" on the vendor's answer. I can't recall seeing a semicolon in an SMTP address in more than 15 years of looking at them. I've seen plenty of "+" and "%", but never a ";".

Most often, a ";" is used as an address separator in the e-mail client.

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Thanks for all the help Rich,

I found out that this software uses a field from the employee information section as the senders address but the problem is that more than one email address is permitted in this field. For that particular user there was more than one email address in there separated with a semi colon, so the software kept pulling the first email address together with a semi colon. You would think support would have pointed that out.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:35 PM