Vista Ultimate, Nvidia motherboard no sound RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently installed Vista Ultimate and have been unable to get any sound. I have XFX nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard with what I believe is arealtek audo.  No matter what I do I can't get sound.  I downloaded the most recent motherboard driver from Nvidia and still no luck.  When I check under system hardware I have no warnings or any indcation that the audio drivers are not installed.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 4:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use Device Manager to check if the driver for the sound card is properly installed:

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌

2. Expand the Sound, video, and game controllers section to see the sound card that you have installed. If that section isn't displayed or no sound card is listed, either your computer doesn't have a sound card, or the driver for the sound card hasn't been properly installed.

And then you can also check and test your speaker configuration with following steps:

1. Open Audio Devices and Sound Themes by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Sound.

2. On the Playback tab, select the device that you want to test, and then click Configure.

3. Select your speaker configuration, and then click Test.

If you aren't getting any sound at all, your computer may not recognize your sound card or there may be a problem with the driver for your sound card. Check to make sure your sound card is properly installed and that Windows recognizes your sound card. For more information, see

Tips for fixing common sound problems.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use Device Manager to check if the driver for the sound card is properly installed:

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌

2. Expand the Sound, video, and game controllers section to see the sound card that you have installed. If that section isn't displayed or no sound card is listed, either your computer doesn't have a sound card, or the driver for the sound card hasn't been properly installed.

And then you can also check and test your speaker configuration with following steps:

1. Open Audio Devices and Sound Themes by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Sound.

2. On the Playback tab, select the device that you want to test, and then click Configure.

3. Select your speaker configuration, and then click Test.

If you aren't getting any sound at all, your computer may not recognize your sound card or there may be a problem with the driver for your sound card. Check to make sure your sound card is properly installed and that Windows recognizes your sound card. For more information, see

Tips for fixing common sound problems.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:20 AM
  • I know the sound works because when I run my WIN XP drive I have no problems.  The only time I don't have soundis when I run the Vista drive. I have two seperate drives and can swap them out.  The sound card is built into the motherboard and it is a Realtek audio shipset (ALC885)  I ahve downloaded the most recent drivers from Nvidia and realtek with negative results.

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:58 PM