Brand new windows 7 computer shipped missing english. RRS feed

• Question

• Just purchased a brand new computer that amazingly has no English on it.  The closest I can find under regional/language is Frech Canadian... No english Canada and no English US

Of course this is windows 7 pro so it appears we are not able to load language packs... help!

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:46 AM

Answers

• In this case, you may want to contact with your seller and exchange an English version of OS.

English Language Pack is only available for Ultimate or Enterprise SKU, which you have to pay for upgrade. 

Language Interface Pack (LIP) is free though. However there is no English LIP.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:17 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:01 AM
  • And this Microsoft, is why you fail.  Turns out that Windows 7 doesn't allow a change to english if the person installing selects the wrong language.  In this case it seems that the default was french.  Microsoft decided if you make that mistake you must pay for an upgrade.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:26 AM

All replies

• If the computer didn't come with English you need to upgrade to Ultimate to switch.

Install complete language - MUI
    To install a different language - Multilingual User Interface (MUI) - you need to have Windows 7 Ultimate. If you don't have Ultimate you can do an Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate. There are 35 languages to chose from, they are listed under "Language Packs" at this website:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744369%28WS.10%29.aspx

Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate
    Type Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box in the Start menu and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon.  From there, you can buy an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. Then your can enter your Anytime Upgrade product key and perform a simple upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate so you can install a different language. All programs and files will stay on the computer. If you're unable to buy online in your area a local store may sell Anytime Upgrades, or you can buy the version of Windows 7 you want.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade

Install New Multilingual User Interface (MUI) in Windows 7 Ultimate:

1. Start -> All Programs --> Windows Update --> Optional Updates.
    2. Open optional Updates and go to the section Windows 7 Language Packs.
    3. Tick the Multilingual User Interface (MUI) you want and click OK
    4. Proceed with Install Updates

How to change the Windows 7 Display Language:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region / Change the display language
    2. Switch the display language in the Choose a display language drop down menu.
    3. Click OK
    4. Restart for the changes to take effect (this will affect only the user profile under which you are currently logged on).

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:29 AM
  • But that isn't free is it?  Why would i have to pay to use windows in english?  there isn't a way to change my default language?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:22 AM
  • The only version of Windows 7 that supports changing the language to English is Ultimate.

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:57 AM
  • In this case, you may want to contact with your seller and exchange an English version of OS.

English Language Pack is only available for Ultimate or Enterprise SKU, which you have to pay for upgrade. 

Language Interface Pack (LIP) is free though. However there is no English LIP.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:17 AM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Incredible that a software vendor can charge for the English language.  If Microsoft is interested in constructive feed back I would suggest allowing people to download English LIP.

My vendor would not help me, but I contacted Acer and it sounds like they might send out a restore disc, no word back yet though.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:21 AM
  •  

Just purchased a brand new computer that amazingly has no English on it.  The closest I can find under regional/language is Frech Canadian... No english Canada and no English US

Of course this is windows 7 pro so it appears we are not able to load language packs... help!

Download languages for Windows 7 (Ultimate or Enterprise) :  : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/languages

Regards, 

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:46 AM
  • There is no English LIP (Language Interface Pack ). There is English LP (Language Pack), but all LPs are required Ultimate or Enterprise SKU. English is just one of the 36 LP languages. So there is no difference for it.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Incredible that a software vendor can charge for the English language.  If Microsoft is interested in constructive feed back I would suggest allowing people to download English LIP.

My vendor would not help me, but I contacted Acer and it sounds like they might send out a restore disc, no word back yet though.

Electro-magnetic pulses from French above ground nuke testing caused the problem. The Feature is not yet implemented and the retail Vendor no longer supports the product.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:07 AM
  • And this Microsoft, is why you fail.  Turns out that Windows 7 doesn't allow a change to english if the person installing selects the wrong language.  In this case it seems that the default was french.  Microsoft decided if you make that mistake you must pay for an upgrade.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 4:26 AM