windows vista clock and date not working RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone help me with windows vista date and time, anytime I change it in  regional settings it just stays there and doesn't update to real time and date. Even when it does move it's always hours behind normal time. I changed the time & date in BIOS, date & time is still 10mins behind normal time and this affects my avg antivirus  daily updates
    Is there a fault with software or my clock battery, just bought thelaptop only 3 month old.
    Thanks
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

First I would like to confirm the following points:

1.    Are you trying to change the system date and time or the time zone?

2.    What’s the exact wording of the error message when changing it?

Currently, if you have not install Windows Vista Service Pack 1, I suggest installing it first.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

If the issue persists, the issue can be probably caused by incorrect BIOS settings or the BIOS battery. You may need to contact your computer manufacturer to check it.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:56 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for the resposne, there is no error message, I'm just changing the date & time in regional settings (control panel) as the clock doesn't keep current time.

Also I have been in the BIOS and set date and time which worked for 1 hour and then started to revert to 22:00 - 22:30 and then goes to 21:00 and to 22:30 and the cycle continues. 
    I just wanted to know whether it's hardware or software fault. I will download windows Vista service pack 1 and see what happens. If that fails then it's going back to Dell.I wanted to see if anyone else using vista home edition had the same problem??
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:30 PM
  • I am also having the same issue with Vista Ultimate (SP1).  This is a machine that has run XP Pro for the last year.  Stuck a new battery in just for laughs.  It's no laughing matter however how much pain and suffering this experience has been.  If someone has a remedy for the date and time issue that would be great, then I will give you several other issues to work on.

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:42 PM
  • I am having the same issue with Vista Home Premium edition with SP1 installed. Each time I turn the computer back on the date has gone backwards by several years and the time changes too. It's a brand new Sony laptop only purchased one month ago and it was fine until 2 days ago, now this keeps happening.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:53 AM