Need clarification on Hyperthreading and Exchange 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• I fully understand the following link recommends not to do it because of "planning and monitoring challenges", but somehow that just doesn't sit right with me as a justification for turning off a performance enhancement.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd346699.aspx

If memory serves me right, turning on hyperthreading gives an additional 20-30% perfornance increase. We have it on with our full Exchange 2007 infrastructure now and see 0 issues.

Does anyone have any real world scenarios where leaving hyperthreading turned on with Exchange 2010 has caused issues/performance degradation? If I can find some real world scenarios, then I would be inclined to turn it off, otherwise this just seems like potentially "scared of the unknown" advice.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:39 PM

Answers

• I would spec out my CPU requirements in that I didn't have hyper-threading, and just consider it a mini-boost to performance that I would never count on.

So essentially there is no evidence that it causes problems which was the initial question. I appreciate you both chiming in.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Hotfix,

I would advise you to have a look of below link where very good coments are added by Brian.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/f0786eaf-3bd0-4511-87c8-fffbbdd98417/

Anil
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thanks Anil,

I had seen that post, but basically said the same thing. I was looking for someone to provide evidence that it actually caused harm/negative performance to Exchange 2010. I don't think there are any cases of this happening probably because it hasn't hurt anything.

Anyone have any negative experience to speak of?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:25 PM
  • There's nothing there or in Brian's post saying it will cause problems, just that it makes it hard to spec out your CPU requirements. 20-30% is not a guaranteed figure, and it depends on the application.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:01 AM
  • I would spec out my CPU requirements in that I didn't have hyper-threading, and just consider it a mini-boost to performance that I would never count on.

So essentially there is no evidence that it causes problems which was the initial question. I appreciate you both chiming in.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:55 PM