Creation of new ssp partially completed, now Shared Services Admin won't open RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new ssp via UI in Central Administration and while the creation was processing in the browser, my browswer crashed and the ssp failed to complete.

Now when I click on Shared Services Administration, the page won't open and thus in Central Admin > Application Management the link to "Create or configure this farm's shared services" will not open either. 

If I click on the old ssp, it will open yet none of the services are still running with the ssp so I have to remove the new ssp remnants which seem to be a database connection string to the new ssp which wasn't really created.  The ULS log files are trying to open the new database which doesn't exist.  If only I could redirect it back to old ssp database I think everything would be good. 

To resolve, I attempted to create new ssp via stsadm command "createssp" and after several unsuccessful trys,I have 4 ssp's now with no databases and no way to open them to change the default etc etc etc.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

dms
    • Moved by star.warsModerator Friday, December 2, 2011 3:09 AM admin issue (From:SharePoint - Search (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:36 PM

Answers

• Ok, I understand you cant open Shared Services Administration page. However, does  stsadm -o deletessp command with -force switch (after taking appropriate backups) help? (as mentioned above)
    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You could click on "Shared Services Administration" (/_admin/managessp.aspx) in Central Admin site and click on Change Associations and move the concerned web applications back to old functional SSP.

You could also use stsadm -o deletessp command to get rid of old non-functional SSPs after moving the web applications to different SSP. If a non-functional SSP wouldn't delete, you can run the same command with -force parameter as documented in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263248(office.12).aspx

Once cleanup is done, you could create new web applications (if needed) and new SSP hosted on those web applicatons via GUI or stsadm. Here's the documentation for stsadm -o createssp command. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262773(office.12).aspx

Note: Please make sure there are no dependancies before deleting an SSP as this action is not reversible.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Monday, December 5, 2011 3:51 PM
  • If I could open Shared Services Administration, that would be ideal but that is the problem. I cannot open ssp from Central Admin via the link or via the URL.  When I try, I get error message: "An unhandled exception occured in the user interface. Exception Information: The given key was not present in the dictionary.  The ULS log files report that it's trying to open non-existant database that was created (and later deleted) using stsadm createssp command. It is stuck with this wrong database connection string.
    dms
    • Edited by dms.WebDev Monday, December 5, 2011 8:06 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Ok, I understand you cant open Shared Services Administration page. However, does  stsadm -o deletessp command with -force switch (after taking appropriate backups) help? (as mentioned above)

Regards,
    Nishant Shah

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:48 AM