dial plann rules - formating phone number outside US RRS feed

• Question

• There is a rule to format phone number when you typed in MOC. Example:
    normalization rule: ^8()\d{4}$
    translation: +142512
    result: +14251285555
    interesting part is when you type phone in MOC example 85555
    and phone number is formating like this +1 (425) 128-5555
    My question is: where is this formatin rule because i use international calls begin with 0 and this kind of formating work only with pfone numbers begin with 1

• Moved by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 14, 2009 1:00 AM the old forum will be closed (From:User Replicator & Address Book)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:19 AM

Answers

• Hello Mihail,

Hope that I understood your question/issue.
    When you are dialing a North America number, OCs will always normalize these numbers with the US format: +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx
    This may be surprising but this is normal. But the actual number that will be sent over the Mediation Server, Gateway or PSTN will be +1xxxxxxxxxx.
    This is the way how OCS is hard coded. Noway to remove this behavior.

If you are dialing any other international number (not a Norteh America number) then OCS will not add the () and - characters.
    For example if you are dialing a French number starting with +33 then OCS will keep every thing and will not add the () and - characters.

-QD

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Mihail,
    So just to clarify what you are looking to do, you would like the users to dial a 5 digit extension that OCS translates the number to +142512xxxxx and then you want to prefix that number 2 with a 0 to dial an international number.

Is that right?

Matt.
    Matt Nixon | http://unifiedmatt.blogspot.com
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Sori if i was unklear. I try to explain more practical my question.
    Ok, when i type 5 digit numbers begin with 8 (rule ^8()\d{4}$) in text line in MOC under is displayed row with +1 (425) 128-5555 in left side and button to dial in right side.
    When i rewrite rules to fit my area rule just add prefix and do not put space and brackets and dash.

My conclusion: when telephone number begin witn +1 then MOC format numbers with space brackets end dash. 
    Is there way to format phone numbers not begining with +1?

Mihail

Monday, December 14, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Are you using Enterprise Voice normalization rules or Addess book normalization rules?  I can't tell if you mean to normale numbers using the 425 area code prefix (Redmond, Washington) or you are just using a generic example in your question.  It almost sounds like to me that you have enabled the Sample_ Addres Book normalization file and are using some of those sample rules.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:41 PM
  • It looks like he is getting hung up on the  spaces and ( ) .

In my experience, standard US numbers will be formatted like this. However when you throw in a 9 as an outside access code, or start any international number formatting they will not be formatted with spaces and brackets, might be something to make this happen with MOC versions, but in all of my experiences this has been the case.

Is that what you were asking about?

Randy Wintle | MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:02 PM
  • First i give this examples becouse it's from virtual machines downloaded from MS and preconfigured rules for Redmond. I look for somting in  normalization rules but everything is by default. Then i create rule on my production environment to add +142512 and result was the same: phone was formated like this +1 (425) 128-5555. Is there settings on windows for phone formating or MOC is hardcoded to format only US (+1) phones.
    Randy gat the situation correct.

Monday, December 14, 2009 5:28 PM
  • i am not sure if i understand you very well.

but if you are storing your number in Active Directory with (),- and spaces, then you want to remove this from the communicator so you have to check the below article for Jeff; which explains how you can do so using Sample_ Addres Book normalization file

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Hello Mihail,

Hope that I understood your question/issue.
    When you are dialing a North America number, OCs will always normalize these numbers with the US format: +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx
    This may be surprising but this is normal. But the actual number that will be sent over the Mediation Server, Gateway or PSTN will be +1xxxxxxxxxx.
    This is the way how OCS is hard coded. Noway to remove this behavior.

If you are dialing any other international number (not a Norteh America number) then OCS will not add the () and - characters.
    For example if you are dialing a French number starting with +33 then OCS will keep every thing and will not add the () and - characters.

-QD

Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Hi Mihail,
    Any update for your issue?

Regards!
    gavin
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Hello Quang Duong,

I have a suspicion that is hard coded. Thanks.

If some try mui in other language and formating is different, pleas share information with us.

_MM

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hi Mihail,

OK. First of all:
    You have written that you have a normalization rule as below:
      normalization rule: ^8()\d{4}$
      translation: +142512

I think it is a mistake. It should not be working. I gues that you should have instead:

normalization rule: ^8(\d{4})$
      translation: +142512$1

Right, the testing tool within the Normalization wizard provide you the right E.164 format number: +14251285555
    But if you dial the same number (85555) from the communicator, it gives you +1 (425) 128-5555. As I said, it is a "normal" behavior for a North American number.

Now, if you change your normalization rule

translation: +142512$1

To:

translation: +3342512$1
      result: +334251285555

Then when dialing from MOC 85555 you will get the number normalized as +334251285555

Hope it could help.

-QD

Friday, December 18, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Hi

I there any way to add the formatting behaviour for other contries than US?

I mean like US has +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx, I would like to create for my country.

Thanx

Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:12 PM