none
Renaming Project Server 2010 database server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have Project Server 2010 + SQL Server 2008 R2, but we need to upgrade DB to cluster SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition SP1 CU7.
    Is it ok if we rename Project Server DB server , for example from DBSER05 to DBSRVCL07\APPDB ?

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

if you are only planning to move PWA to new cluster, then migrate 5db set to new SQL instant, and re-provision PWA by providing new db name and that should be enough.

in case you want to move the whole farm, please see this thorough technet article consist of all the steps required to be executed to move Farm from 1 database server to another.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(v=office.14).aspx

Additionally since you have project server installed as well, just follow the same i have mentioned at the start for project server migration.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

• Marked as answer by Denis F Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:19 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

if you are only planning to move PWA to new cluster, then migrate 5db set to new SQL instant, and re-provision PWA by providing new db name and that should be enough.

in case you want to move the whole farm, please see this thorough technet article consist of all the steps required to be executed to move Farm from 1 database server to another.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725(v=office.14).aspx

Additionally since you have project server installed as well, just follow the same i have mentioned at the start for project server migration.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

• Marked as answer by Denis F Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:19 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:10 AM
  • As you planning to upgrade SQL server from 2008 r2 to sql server 2012 enterprise edition SP1 CU7.

In this case you have to create your farm from scratch. You have to Create your APP server and FE server all together from scratch and then you have to give your new DB server name DBSRVCL07\APPDB  while creating farm.Once you run the configuration wizard their you have to specify the NEW DB name DBSRVCL07\APPDB it will create Sharepoint config and content.

then you can restore your current project server DBs on new DB cluster server DBSRVCL07\APPDB  and create project WEB  APP where you can point restored project server DBs.

It means it would be all together back up and restore on new hardware.

i am just guessing if you think you will only upgrade Sql server, create cluster and rename proejct server DB server name in the existing farm that will not work.

Only approach is take back up and restore onto new infrastructure.

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/06/07/project-server-2010-database-restore-part-i/ 

if we rename Project Server DB server , for example from DBSER05 to DBSRVCL07\APPDB-- If you will only rename project server DB server name then it wont work as project server also uses sharepoint config and content DB which are setting on old DB server name(we give db server name while running wizard) and it will throw errors.

kirtesh

Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Hi

Why should he?

I should be no problem to use the detach/attach approach with SQL aliases to move the databases. I have done that several times. And also from 2008R2 to SQL 2012.

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCTS, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Saturday, February 8, 2014 4:06 PM