Joing Vista to 2003 AD domain RRS feed

• Question

• IIs there a domain prep or a forest prep that I need to do first?

I am getting a dns error (Domain not found) when I try to join with Vista. XP joins fine.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:23 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Dillhole,

Thank you for the post.

First I would like to explain that Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium cannot join domain. What’s the version about of your operation system?

In addition, please help confirm the following three points:

1. Computers are unable to join domain? All of the Windows Vista machines or one of them?

2. Have you configured the DNS server IP address in Windows Vista?

3. Can you ping the other computers?

Sometimes firewalls can be the cause this issue. Please turn off firewalls (including Windows Firewall) to test the result issue.

Please also make sure the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is started and its startup type is Automatic.

The Debugnetsetup.log file in C:\Windows logs more detailed information. In this case, please send me the file to SCEDATA@microsoft.com, and I will perform further research on this issue.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Joing Vista to 2003 AD domain

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2401254&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Please understand in our Vista forum, we only focus on the Windows Vista side. If the issue is related to Windows Server 2003 domain controller, you may need to contact our Windows Server 2003 support group. In this case, I recommend contacting them as soon as possible to get the issue resolved in an efficient manner. Thank you for your understanding. For your reference, I've included the following contact information for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:36 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Dillhole,

Thank you for the post.

First I would like to explain that Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium cannot join domain. What’s the version about of your operation system?

In addition, please help confirm the following three points:

1. Computers are unable to join domain? All of the Windows Vista machines or one of them?

2. Have you configured the DNS server IP address in Windows Vista?

3. Can you ping the other computers?

Sometimes firewalls can be the cause this issue. Please turn off firewalls (including Windows Firewall) to test the result issue.

Please also make sure the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is started and its startup type is Automatic.

The Debugnetsetup.log file in C:\Windows logs more detailed information. In this case, please send me the file to SCEDATA@microsoft.com, and I will perform further research on this issue.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Joing Vista to 2003 AD domain

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2401254&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Please understand in our Vista forum, we only focus on the Windows Vista side. If the issue is related to Windows Server 2003 domain controller, you may need to contact our Windows Server 2003 support group. In this case, I recommend contacting them as soon as possible to get the issue resolved in an efficient manner. Thank you for your understanding. For your reference, I've included the following contact information for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:36 AM
  •  

Hi Dillhole,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 19, 2007 9:04 AM
  • Hello Tim,

I'm facing the same problem with Windows Vista.

We have a Network at the office in wich till now all the computers have Win XP on them.

We got 2 new computers with Vista preinstalled on them and now I'm facing problems

getting this computers in the domain. We hav a Windows Server 2003, on wich a DHCP

server is running. We have a second Server on linux for mail and web.

I checked your list and Vista is business, I have not configured the DNS Server - it got

configured automatically by DCHP and yes I can ping the other computers from the

network, but I get an error when I try to set up the domain.

The Firewall is turned off, but i could not install TCP/IP NetBIOS helper. When I tried

to install this service the list with services is empty and on the installtion CD got with

the new computer (its not the traditional Windows CD, it is a FUjitsu Siemens CD -

Operating system - Recovery DVD).

Can you please give me a usefull hint?

King regards,

Gabriel

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:16 AM