Is it possible to change the product key on vista to a retail version, from an OEM preloaded Key? RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a clean install on my pc. I lost my retail disk so i borrowed one from a friend which was from dell. it setup properly with the key preloaded. i tried changing the key from system properties which was accepted from microsoft but it immediately reverted back to the OEM key. Further to this I changed the product key through command prompt which ended with the same result. It said the key was updated but when i checked system properties, it was not. 
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:29 AM

Answers

• Since the release of Windows 7, unfortunately, Windows Vista is no longer available.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:06 AM

All replies

• You cannot use a Dell Windows Vista Reinstallation disc on a non-Dell computer. You will need to obtain the correct replacement disc and start over with a "clean install". Please see:

How to replace lost or missing Microsoft software

Carey Frisch
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:50 PM
  • is it possible to download a trial version of vista basic from microsoft. i can then use my product key.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 11:22 PM
  • Since the release of Windows 7, unfortunately, Windows Vista is no longer available.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Thats cool, i did install with the dell disk. the product id was from dell but when i put my product key in it was accepted and validasted. i rang microsoft to confirm that i was the only one using my product key. Apparently the product id is for dell troubleshooting. Also, i did manage to get a hold of a retail disk and did a clean install again to get rid of the dell logo and all is well..

Thanks for the feed back,

Tem

Monday, June 27, 2011 5:47 AM