Deploy Appv-5 applications to provisioned Xenapp servers, how ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !

First off all, a brief history of how we deployed app-v 4.6 SP3 packages till today :

We have about 50 Citrix Xenapp 6.5 servers which are streamed with Citrix provisioning services 6.1.
    We use a golden image for this, and each server reboots once a week to return to a clean state.

With app-v 4.6 we simply created packages and put them on a fileserver, inside Citrix Appcenter we point to the appv client on the Xenapp server and use the app-v package location as a parameter, example : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sfttray.exe" "\\test.com\shares\AppV\testapplication\testapplication.osd".

We also created a static partition on the Xenapp server which is excluded from provisioning services.
    This partition is used for storing the streamed app-v 4.6 applications, so they dont have to be streamed again each time a server reboots.

Now for the problems with App-v 5.0 :

1) We cannot use the above approach anymore, it is not supported to point to the app-v client and give the app-v application location as a parameter.

2) Now we need an appv-v management server and publishing server, we tried using SCCM 2012 R2 for this but there are several problems with this : 

a) If a Citrix Xenapp server reboots it loses all app-v applications because the appv 5 references with the c:\programdata\appv directory (we also redirected this to the second partition)

+ SCCM doesnt detect this on time, the Citrix server reboots and people connected to it cannot launch appv-5 applications.

b) There seems to be a GUID bug with provisioned citrix servers in combination with SCSM.

I also looked at powershell-only without a management server / publishing server but didnt manage to get the solution we need on that approach.

Can anyone please help us out a bit ?

thank you !

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:56 PM

Answers

• Are you deploying all your apps to every user? Or are you deploying to the machine (global)?
    In both cases you could enable Shared Content Store Mode, and keep everything on your persistent drive. So if you're deploying all to all, you could use a simple powershell cmd to add, publish, and mount all.... you could even trigger this script at startup:

(Get-ChildItem -path \\smb3share\content  -Recurse -filter *.appv -File).FullName | ForEach-Object {Add-AppvClientPackage | Publish-AppvClientPackage -Global | Mount-AppvClientPackage}
    If you're planning on working with connectiongroups, you need some advanced scripting, or use AppV native infra.
    Also take a look at the following 3th party tool: App-V Scheduler.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:05 PM
  • No, with SCS mode, you just create "sparse files" on your client, the actual data will not be downloaded. So 100Gb must be more than enough. You need a big pipe to handle all the traffic though, but if I suppose your Xenapp servers are in the data-center, close to your file servers. Using SMB3 is advised for optimal performance.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:11 PM

All replies

• Are you deploying all your apps to every user? Or are you deploying to the machine (global)?
    In both cases you could enable Shared Content Store Mode, and keep everything on your persistent drive. So if you're deploying all to all, you could use a simple powershell cmd to add, publish, and mount all.... you could even trigger this script at startup:

(Get-ChildItem -path \\smb3share\content  -Recurse -filter *.appv -File).FullName | ForEach-Object {Add-AppvClientPackage | Publish-AppvClientPackage -Global | Mount-AppvClientPackage}
    If you're planning on working with connectiongroups, you need some advanced scripting, or use AppV native infra.
    Also take a look at the following 3th party tool: App-V Scheduler.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:05 PM
  • hi

thank for the feedback.

im deploying to the xenapp servers in general, so I think i could just use that script on startup and assign the apps to the users using Citrix Appcenter.

My understanding in shared content store mode was that this is a space-saving feature allowing you to use the networkshare and just stream the apps in memory, but we have 100 GB per server as cache so I dont think we need this feature.

thanks !

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:24 PM
  • No, with SCS mode, you just create "sparse files" on your client, the actual data will not be downloaded. So 100Gb must be more than enough. You need a big pipe to handle all the traffic though, but if I suppose your Xenapp servers are in the data-center, close to your file servers. Using SMB3 is advised for optimal performance.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:11 PM