none
Windows Update - Scheduled reboot not working.

Question

• Hi,

I have 2 group policy that are applied to the servers. One is site dependant and specifies the WSUS source. It only sets:

• Set the intranet update service for detecting updates
    • Set the intranet statistics server

The second policy sets the rest:

• Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation: Enabled
    • Always automatically restart at the scheduled time: Enabled
    • Configure Automatic Updates: Enabled  
    •      Configure automatic updating: 4 - Auto download and schedule the install
    •      The following settings are only required and applicable if 4 is selected. 
    •      Install during automatic maintenance Enabled 
    •      Scheduled install day:  1 - Every Sunday 
    •      Scheduled install time: 01:00
    • No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations: Disabled 
    • Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update: Enabled 
    • Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates: Enabled

However, at the moment, some of the servers that have both GPO applying are not rebooting. The last time the GPO were applied is less than a day. And I can see the GPO in the gpresult for the computer:

Applied Group Policy Objects
        -----------------------------
            Update - Windows Update - Servers
            Update - Windows Update - NamedSite

The servers (windows 2012 R2 DC) that have the issue show that the updates were installed on the date it was supposed to be installed. However, I also have a message specifying that: We'll finish installing some updates the next time your PC is restarted.

Any idea why the server is not restarting ?

Thanks,

Olivier

• Edited by O.Ragain Monday, November 30, 2015 7:25 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Olivier,

Could you please check whether the correct registry key below has been created on the problematic machines?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Value: AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime

Type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 1 (force a restart)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:35 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately the key is present.

Fun fact, yesterday, on one of the problematic server, I installed a new batch of updates and the message saying that the server needs to reboot disappeared even though the server did not reboot.

Olivier

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Hi Olivier,

Thanks for the update.

This is odd. Group Policy applied successfully on these machines, seems the server just doesn’t read the registry key. Any applications or settings on these servers which might be preventing server from rebooting? It could also be due to some specific updates, maybe monitor until next round update, and see if everything is going well then.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Ok, I'll post back mostly after sunday in 2 weeks as patch Tuesday is coming :)

Thanks

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:59 PM
  • Hi Olivier

did you find anything on this issue? cos i also have a bunch of servers that doesnt autorestart after patches... some works but some doesnt... everyting are correct in the gpo.

All the servers are Windows Server 2012 R2 both working and nonworking ones

Thanks

• Edited by tsor Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:24 PM edit
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Hi Tsor,

Found nothing. I still have the issue but it is pretty much never the same servers. So after 2 or 3 rounds of updates they are kind of all updated but at different spots.

Even worse, sometimes windows update will show no update at all pending or awaiting a restart and I restart the server and boom updates getting installed.

And same here, windows server 2012 R2 datacenter.

Olivier

Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Hi Oliver
    Thank you for the information. 
    I got this in the eventlog:

Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 15 minutes:
    - Update Rollup 8 for Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 - Operations Manager Agent (KB3096382)
    - Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3109103)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3112336)
    - Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3108381)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3100919)
    - Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3109094)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3099834)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3101183)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3103696)
    - Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - December 2015 (KB890830)
    - Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB3099864)
    - Security Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3108347)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3096411)
    - Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB3106614)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3112148)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3100956)
    - Update for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3102429)
    - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB3104002)

So the server says restart in 15min but then nothing...

ill call MS after the holidays to get a case on this.

Regards Tsor

tsor

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:20 AM
  • Hi Tsor,

Just to make sure, you do have:

* No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations: Disabled 

Otherwise, it is normal that the server does not reboot if someone is logged onto it.

Let us know if Microsoft finds anything.

Happy holidays

Olivier

Friday, December 18, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Hi Oliver.

About your tip so should disable and not configure be the same.
    "If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, Automatic Updates will notify the user that the computer will automatically restart in 5 minutes to complete the installation."

But i can inform you that i have a case with MS and wer not alone :)
    It can be a bug of some sort.

Regards tsor

tsor

Monday, January 4, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Hi Tsor,

Great to know we ain't alone having that issue!

As for that GPO, to me it is only to let the user know that there will be a reboot. If it has an impact and blocks a reboot I do not know. At the moment this is not set on my side.

Best regards,

Olivier

Monday, January 4, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Hi Oliver

Some updates from me:
    There are 12 cases that my ms support engineer confirms.
    and it all falls down on: Logged on user/service account via rdp or locally faults the machine to not reboot after patches.

Will keep you informed

Have a nice weekend

tsor

Friday, January 15, 2016 1:03 PM
  • New info

"We have now confirmed that this is a bug – a regression that was introduced from one of our previous updates. The fix is scheduled for March – no information if we will be able to get our hands on a private yet but I will continue to ask.

I will keep you updated with any news that arrives to my desk but next update will be no later than Friday next week."

Regards

Tsor

tsor

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Well that is good if they fix that one.

I think I got another one too, one of the server rebooted outside of the schedule to install the updates :)

Thanks for keeping us informed

Friday, January 22, 2016 8:40 PM
  • Hi again more news:

This is from ms support:

"I have now got an confirmation update from the escalation engineer that I am working with. The issue started with the WU client Oct update and is included in all later updates to the Windows Update Client - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083711   and e.g. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3112336

We have not done any testing with removing the updates – but in theory if you can lower the versions of the files you will most likely mitigate the issue (the key file seems to be wuaueng.dll) – now with that being said as a result of doing this you will of course lose the changes/fixes in the update which means that you can run into other problems that could be more severe.

So if you want to remove the updates you need to do it in the reverse order which means if you have installed more than one Windows Update Client you need to remove them with the latest first. This to give you another workaround option while we wait for the fix

The best workaround is still in my opinion to make sure that no one is logged on to the systems at the schedule install time. This will for sure remove the issue from happening

Finally – I have also been informed that the fix is still scheduled for March but there will be no testing of any privates."

Regards tsor

tsor

Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:49 AM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138615

About this update
    This update fixes the following issue with previous versions of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2:
    • Windows Update would sometimes not restart the computer as expected when the “Always automatically restart at the scheduled time” policy was set.

Lets hope this fixes that now :)

Thanks again Tsor

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Great. Got that answer from MS support aswell... gonna test it right away :)
    Have a nice weekend

tsor

Friday, March 4, 2016 8:23 AM
  • And it does not fix the issue :(
    Thursday, March 10, 2016 11:10 PM