updating power query tables RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. If I have tables that are input into power query can I change the setup? IT seems like I can't. I added a few columns into my table and tried to press refresh but not it shows an error message and an X. 
    Friday, November 4, 2016 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

Genenally, the refresh is used when the source data is changed. So the table loaded will be refresh when you click refresh.

As I tested, if you load the date to excel, you can change the date and add column. While, you only filter and add calculated column if you load the data to power pivot model. You can't change the data once they are added into model. I click the refresh, it returns errors because the source data is not changed.

Best Regards,
    Angelia
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi AlexMartini,

Yes, you can filter, sort, group and shape data using the Query Editor. For example, sorting a table, filtering a table, removing duplicates and so on.

>> I added a few columns into my table and tried to press refresh but not it shows an error message and an X.
    How do you add the columns? Could you please post the error massage for further analysis? Based on my understanding, I try to reproduce it and it works fine.

1. Add a custom column in Query Editor, close and load it. The date model refresh automatically.

2. Enter columns in the excel table, and refresh the data model in Power Pivot Window.

3. In PowerPivot window, create several calculated columns in the data model. And it refresh and works normally.

Best Regards,
    Angelia
    Monday, November 7, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Hi Angelia. I meant to make changes to the tables themselves. The tables that power query grabs from (not inside power query). 
    Monday, November 7, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Genenally, the refresh is used when the source data is changed. So the table loaded will be refresh when you click refresh.

As I tested, if you load the date to excel, you can change the date and add column. While, you only filter and add calculated column if you load the data to power pivot model. You can't change the data once they are added into model. I click the refresh, it returns errors because the source data is not changed.

Best Regards,
    Angelia
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:27 AM