SQL server instance name RRS feed

• Question

• all,

what is the impact on changing the name of a sql server instance on a production server.

what shoud be changed within sql server to get the new name recognized

thanks for any response
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Actually, SQL Server doesn’t support renaming an instance. However, you could rename the part of the instance name that corresponds to the computer name that Lekss mentioned above. To rename an instance, you need to uninstall and install SQL Server instance again.

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    ***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Just SQL restart will allow you to access the sql server without requiring any other changes. Have a look at the heading additional considerations,from this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx.
    Thanks, Leks
    • Proposed as answer by Ekrem Önsoy Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

As leks said just restart sql service .
    Restart SQL Server service. I prefer the command prompt for this, but you can just as easily do it in Services under the Control Panel
    net stop mssqlserver
    net start mssqlserver 

As you said this is a production server sending out notification to the users stating about the change will be best in practice :)  . 

---------------------

Thanks,Suhas v 

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Actually, SQL Server doesn’t support renaming an instance. However, you could rename the part of the instance name that corresponds to the computer name that Lekss mentioned above. To rename an instance, you need to uninstall and install SQL Server instance again.

If there are any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.
    ***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:41 AM