none
Win 8.1 Pro, Event Viewer cannot open event logs. The request is not supported (50) RRS feed

• Question

• After too many unexplained problems, I decided to reinstall Windows 8.1 Pro x64, and migrate off of SBS 2011 Standard. In addition to the primary workstation that can't read any event logs, I built five Server 2012 R2 servers (Hyper-V host, Active Directory VM, Exchange 2013 VM, SQL Server 2014 VM, and WSUS VM).

I was diagnosing why my workstation's Outlook cannot reach the local Exchange Server.   I tried to look at the event logs, and found the Event Viewer cannot open the event log or custom view.  Verify that Event Log service is running (it is) or the query is too long (whatever that indicates).  The request is not supported (50)

Looking at the directory of the event logs folder.  It appears that most logs are empty, which is understandable since it's a rebuilt installation.  I found a small number of Applications and Services Logs and it appears nothing was logged since six days ago on 4/4/2016.   On support forums, I found many have this exact problem on Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10.  Of the solutions posted none of them would even execute on my Win 8.1 Pro x64 machine.  I tried clearing the event logs (WEVTUTIL CL logfilename) and am told Failed to clear log .... The request is not supported

It's very difficult to diagnose why Outlook 2013 cannot reach Exchange 2013, even if Outlook is installed on the Exchange server machine (just as a test).  The web-based Outlook owa, ecp, ... all work fine.  Email is coming and going.   

This may appear cynical, but I'm sure Microsoft would tell me to refresh the Windows 8.1 Pro X64 machine, even though I just reinstalled from scratch.  Let's clarify, I had to Install Win 7 Pro to upgrade to 8.0 Pro, in order to upgrade that to Windows 8.1 Pro.  I tested the refresh some time ago and found it left my machine in a mess.  That is why I'm doing a complete new installation.

I already tried SFC.  Someone must understand the problem so a solution can be found and documented.

When I discuss this rebuild effort of workstation and servers, I tell people if this doesn't work out, then I'll make the move to Linux.  I have many Linux and UNIX workstations and servers sitting around here, so the temptation is eating away at me.

- Michael Faklis

Sunday, April 10, 2016 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Are there any error messages when running SFC commands?

For Event View issues, according to the error message, this issue could be related to Windows Event Log service.

I would suggest you to check if Windows Event Log service is started and automatic.

Please run "services.msc" in the run box to open service windows.

In services windows check for 'Windows event log' service. If it is stopped, please manually start it and set it to automatic.

Also, I notice that you have tried to clear event logs using WEVTUTIL commands.

Please also right click the event logs in Event View and clear log to have a test.

If there are Access is denied error reported, then it is related to security permissions.

Please kindly refer to the following link to fix it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2751670  

For Outlook cannot reach the local Exchange Server issue, we could try to disable firewall to have a test.

If the issue persists, for exchange issue, we have a specific form, they may have more suggestions for you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 11, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Yes there were some non-specific messages.  I ran an offline SFC also, with the same non-specific messages.

The Event Log service is starting automatically.  Restarting the service does not fix the problem.

I tried clearing the logs with WEVTUTIL as well as right-clicking on the log in the event viewer to clear the log, but I get the same error message I'm reporting.

2751670 had a fix-it that said it wasn't for my machine, so I followed the "Let me fix it myself" instructions.  I restarted the event log service and I still get the same errors.

I'll follow-up on your Exchange Server reference.

- Michael Faklis

Monday, April 11, 2016 5:23 PM
  • Hi Michael,

“I'll follow-up on your Exchange Server reference.”

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:24 AM
  • I am hesitating doing a refresh on this workstation I just rebuilt from scratch.  I have to wonder about an OS that self-destructs so soon.  It'll take me three days to rebuild it again and if I don't know what caused the problem, its likely to reoccur.

As far as Exchange, I deleted all of my certificates from the AD and Exchange machine, and will reapply them more carefully.

- Michael Faklis

Monday, April 18, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Hi Michael,

As far as I know, Refreshing PC act like reinstall Windows, so the Event View issue will be fixed at least.

Refreshing will keep your files, personal settings, it just removes Apps installed from websites and reinstall store APPs. So our personal data will not be lost.

Before Refreshing, we could create an image backup, so we could recover it back to current system quickly if you want.

Best regards.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:36 AM
  • I did a test refresh of Win 8 when it came out and it did not go as smooth as Microsoft makes it sound.  My world isn't centered on Microsoft Store Apps, but even there many store apps were missing and the groupings and group titles were all gone.  I have a high-speed DSL line and it takes a couple of long days downloading and installing updates for Microsoft software and non-Microsoft software.

Restoring a system image would put me back where the event viewer is broken again.  System restore itself isn't a smooth process.  That is why I rebuilt this machine a few short weeks ago.  The system got some disk errors after I rebooted the system after Windows 8.1 froze.  The image restore refused to run.  I could not reinstall 8.1 since it was an upgrade from 8.0.  I could nor reinstall 8.0 since it was an upgrade from 7.  I had to reinstall 7, and apply hundreds of windows updates before I could upgrade to 8.0.  Then I had to apply hundreds of updates before 8.0 would upgrade to 8.1.  By that time I decided to forgo the system image restore I was originally going to do, and went with reinstalling everything from the original media.  This required reapplying hundreds more Windows Updates and scores of non-Microsoft updates.  This took days of failed update attempts with Windows Updates backing out of mass updates because it wouldn't install all of the updates identified en-mass.  I ended up applying just 20 updates at a time.  Then I had all of the configuration that could not be done with Group Policies.

That was many days of brainless non-productive time which turned out to be less-productive than non-productive since a couple weeks later I discovered that I could not view the event logs, which made it impossible to diagnose new problems.  This is what I have to deal with once I do a refresh.  It is not as simple a procedure than Microsoft makes it out to be.

Because I don't know the root cause of why I can't view the event logs, repeating this trial by fire is likely to just recreate the problem preventing me from viewing the event logs, thereby wasting another week and putting me in the same situation I'm already in.  Without the ability to diagnose the root cause of the problem makes a refresh analogous to repeated self-flagellation and expecting the next strike not to hurt.  Redoing the same procedure and expecting different results just makes no sense to me.

- Michael Faklis

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:16 PM