Unable to change Primary Site Collection administrator in central admin RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are trying to change Primary Site colletcion administrator in central admin, but when clicks on "Ok", get "Unknown Error".

Can you please help me out of this.

Thanking in advance.

Regards,

Jayashri

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I believe you SCA was not farm admin if so then you need to follow below procedure:

I think before removing that user from central admin, first you need to change the account identity in your SP server services, application pool identity in IIS, service.msc etc.

So first create new service account then check all of the above one by one and wherever you find old admin name then replace it with new service account.

If user was only SCA then remove from CA site is enough.

Hope it could help 

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Jayashri,

What is your sharepoint version? Can you add new site collection admin in site collection administrator link from site settings page? If you again get same error then do not hesitate to look ULS log in 14 hive for more detail about this error.

Let us know your result

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Thanks Hemendra.

We are successfully able to update "SCA" through Site settings page in site.

The original Primary SCA is no longer with the organisation, so need to change it in Central Admin also, as we have already change in  Site settings page.

What steps needs to be taken further?

Regard,

Jayashri

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

I believe you SCA was not farm admin if so then you need to follow below procedure:

I think before removing that user from central admin, first you need to change the account identity in your SP server services, application pool identity in IIS, service.msc etc.

So first create new service account then check all of the above one by one and wherever you find old admin name then replace it with new service account.

If user was only SCA then remove from CA site is enough.

Hope it could help 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 10:08 AM