taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone can tell how to complete delete the task bar pop up.

It is a little annoyed when I am doing my business. My mouse hover on the taskbar and the thumbnails keep showing. I DON'T WANT THAT.

I have tried to change thumbnails in some settings, I searched online, but no success. I have no idea right now. Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

By default, Windows 7 shows thumbnails if 16 or less windows are open and you're using the Aero theme with desktop composition enabled. You can configure the maximum number of thumbnails from the registry value "NumThumbnails" 

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband)

but the minimum is "1", so this won't disable taskbar thumbnails. Unfortunately, there isn't any registry setting in Windows 7 to disable taskbar thumbnails and always show a list.

Please refer to:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/999532ef-fc62-4a53-975a-dadf4a8f4610/solved-disable-taskbar-thumbnail-show-list-instead-revisited?forum=w7itproui

You can edit the registry below to max the time when your mouse hover on the taskbar icon. By editing the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.

Create a new DWORD value ExtendUIHoverTime, and set its value to 100

Then restart your machine.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Mike_juce Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

By default, Windows 7 shows thumbnails if 16 or less windows are open and you're using the Aero theme with desktop composition enabled. You can configure the maximum number of thumbnails from the registry value "NumThumbnails" 

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband)

but the minimum is "1", so this won't disable taskbar thumbnails. Unfortunately, there isn't any registry setting in Windows 7 to disable taskbar thumbnails and always show a list.

Please refer to:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/999532ef-fc62-4a53-975a-dadf4a8f4610/solved-disable-taskbar-thumbnail-show-list-instead-revisited?forum=w7itproui

You can edit the registry below to max the time when your mouse hover on the taskbar icon. By editing the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.

Create a new DWORD value ExtendUIHoverTime, and set its value to 100

Then restart your machine.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Mike_juce Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:01 AM
  • Really helpful!!!

When I modify the first registry, it will show in text mode when I open two more windows.

I want to upload the picture but I can't.

When I modify the second registry, it will show the icon name only.

Good.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:02 AM