none
Multiple Volume License Keys on CustomSettings.ini RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a Windows 10 image that I use to deploy through MDT 2013. On the CustomSettings.ini I have the Volume License Key as shown below to activate Win 10.

SkipProductKey=YES
    OverrideProductKey=AAAA-BBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE

After the build is completed, I usually restart the machine and connect to the internet to activate Windows. 

We have few desktops that are required to be deployed with Win 7 SP1.  I have created a image of Windows 7 and the build is working fine. 

Could someone please suggest if it is possible to have both the keys in the CustomeSettings.ini so that when I choose the Task Sequence for Win 10 it should use the Windows 10 VL key and when I choose the Task Sequence for Window 7 it should use the Win 7 VL key. 

Also, kindly suggest if there are any better options that are available. 

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Pankaj
    Sunday, April 2, 2017 11:49 PM

All replies

• Since they are different task sequences, just add the key to your unattend file for each OS.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, April 3, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Hi Dan_Vega,

Thanks for your reply.
    As you have suggested, I have included the Vol key in the unattened file and this is working fine. 

When I had only one version of Windows OS to activate, I had included that in the CustomSettings.ini in MDT as follows:

SkipProductKey=YES
    OverrideProductKey=AAAA-BBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE

After deploying the image, the activation used to be without user intervention ie after deployment of OS when the new computer was connected to the network Windows got activated automatically in the background. 

With the method of using the Vol key in unattended file, after the image is deployed I have to force Windows activation by going through the System -> Windows activation.

Is it possible to get the activation done in your suggested method transparently without user intervention. 

Thanks.

Cheers,

Pankaj

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:25 PM
  • That's easily done by creating your own script or run command line and adding it to your task sequence.

In my example below, you can leave the MAK out of the unattend file and have the script add the key. Otherwise all you need is the last command which activates windows.

cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    NET STOP "SOFTWARE PROTECTION"
    NET START "SOFTWARE PROTECTION"
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:37 PM