none
DPM 2007 Doesn´t end backup with ID 24050 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble backing up a PG in DPM 2007.
    The backup starts normally, but one break point, and calls for "a tape that is not available in Libray (ID: 1240)"
    Apparently seems to be space on the tapes, but I'm only three RP's in the tapes, totaling 150 GB, while my tapes are 400 GB.
    The environment configuration is as follows:
    A single PG configured with a retention range of four weeks and with encryption enabled.
    Driver is a standalone, IBM Ultrium 3 Tape Drive
    BarCode not recognize the tape (hardware limitation), with this limitation, I need to run a script, always before backing up to erase the old RP's (maintains 30 days of RP).
    what can I do to solve this problem?
    Heinz H. R. Krüger
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Not enought detail to know how the PG is configured.  Is this Short term disk to tape backup, or long term disk to disk to tape backup that is failing ?

If short term disk to tape, are you doing both full and incremental backups ?

What are the data sources in the PG, File data and application data ?

Please review the following: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653493.aspx

Are you receiving alert to insert a new Free tape ?

For standalone tape drives, for each protection group all SHORT TERM backups are appended on a single tape , and for each protection group all LONG TERM backups are appended to a single tape (different from the short term tapes). As tapes fill up, DPM will raise an alert to add a new free tape.

DPM will prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job. This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry "PromptingTimeOut" under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting"
    PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000 (dec) = 12hrs

=-=-=Value is in milliseconds=-=-=
    3600000 = 1 hour
    43200000 = 12 hours
    86400000 = 24 hours
    129600000 = 36 hours
    172800000 = 48 hours

SHORT TERM TAPE PROTECTION
    ==============================
    A) Short-term tape "full" option - backup jobs will require a FREE tape for each scheduled job.
    B) Short-term tape "full and incremental" option - the FULL backup will require a FREE tape for each scheduled job and the Incremental backup for all data sources will be appended to different tape.

As tapes fill up, new free tapes will be allocated.

When the next FULL backup occurs, that will require another FREE tape, and subsequent Incremental will be appended to another FREE tape.

Example: If Full is scheduled weekly and incremental daily- then the first full will go to a new free tape and all subsequent incrementals for 6 days will be appended to different new free tape.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Please download the tape test tools and follow the tests outlined in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98

let me know if the tape drive reports i/o errors or actually fills a tape - you can just post the results of the writeforspanning command.

Closing thread - re-open when you get results.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Not enought detail to know how the PG is configured.  Is this Short term disk to tape backup, or long term disk to disk to tape backup that is failing ?

If short term disk to tape, are you doing both full and incremental backups ?

What are the data sources in the PG, File data and application data ?

Please review the following: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff653493.aspx

Are you receiving alert to insert a new Free tape ?

For standalone tape drives, for each protection group all SHORT TERM backups are appended on a single tape , and for each protection group all LONG TERM backups are appended to a single tape (different from the short term tapes). As tapes fill up, DPM will raise an alert to add a new free tape.

DPM will prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job. This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry "PromptingTimeOut" under "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting"
    PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000 (dec) = 12hrs

=-=-=Value is in milliseconds=-=-=
    3600000 = 1 hour
    43200000 = 12 hours
    86400000 = 24 hours
    129600000 = 36 hours
    172800000 = 48 hours

SHORT TERM TAPE PROTECTION
    ==============================
    A) Short-term tape "full" option - backup jobs will require a FREE tape for each scheduled job.
    B) Short-term tape "full and incremental" option - the FULL backup will require a FREE tape for each scheduled job and the Incremental backup for all data sources will be appended to different tape.

As tapes fill up, new free tapes will be allocated.

When the next FULL backup occurs, that will require another FREE tape, and subsequent Incremental will be appended to another FREE tape.

Example: If Full is scheduled weekly and incremental daily- then the first full will go to a new free tape and all subsequent incrementals for 6 days will be appended to different new free tape.

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Hello Mike,

i set to tape using Long Term

the source files are all data files, the Exchange databases and files from the servers system state.

need more information?

Thanks

Heinz H. R. Krüger
    Monday, August 23, 2010 8:37 PM
  • OK - DPM should continue writing to the tape until it's full, but if we encounter an i/o error before reaching end of tape, we may ask for a new tape.

Save the save the below in notepad then save as BufferQ.REG on the DPM server.
    Right-click BufferQ.REG and choose the "merge" option.  See if that helps future backups.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
         "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000002

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Mike

I did the procedures to change the registry key as you now, look at the scenario that happened yesterday:
    I did the procedures, I put another tape that apparently was in trouble, ran a large backup of 22 GB, completed successfully. I let the routine run normally 23.00, made up of a RP, and the other has not completed successfully.
    Again, it might be space on the tape, then put out some RP, and tried again to run a RP, he began, but stopped at 400 MB and put the message to insert a new tape.
    It is as already mentioned, as if the tape fills, it deleted the RP's, but the DPM still think the tape is full.
    Any idea?

Thanks

Heinz H. R. Krüger
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

Please download the tape test tools and follow the tests outlined in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98

let me know if the tape drive reports i/o errors or actually fills a tape - you can just post the results of the writeforspanning command.

Closing thread - re-open when you get results.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Sorry about the delay needed to test the proposed solutions on a tape that had problems.
    I did as requested, below is the information reported by MyTape.
    How did the request, after completion of testing, the tape is prevented from being reused, with the only alternative format the tape, but as has been reported, after formatting the tape, the backup is successful. My concern is when the tape starts to get filled again, because that is what is happening, while there is still space on the tape, the backup is done smoothly, but when the space starts to diminish or end the problem "returns."
    Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

\\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>loadtape

\\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>taperewind

\\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>locktape

\\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>setdriveinfo

Hardware error correction  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Hardware data compression  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Data padding  [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Setmark reporting   [y]-Enable / [n] Disable : n
    Number of bytes between the end-of-tape warning and the physical end of the tape
    : 0

\\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>settapeinfo 65536

Enter BlockSize: Status: Setting Tape Information...Success

\\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>writeforspanning

Error_ID reported: 1100
    Number of bytes written: 5832704
    Giving up
    Time taken: 5321141ms
    \\.\tape0>TapeConsole_1.0>gettapeposition

------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tape Position
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Absolute Position:
    Current tape partition: 0
    Current tape position: 0,6497589
    Logical Position:
    Current tape partition: 0
    Current tape position: 0,6497589

Heinz H. R. Krüger
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Heinz,

That test pass completed successfully and filled the tape with 425,825,992,704 bytes written.  Since it's an intermittent problem, you may need to rewind the tape and redo the test several times to make sure the drive is behaving properly over time.  The more passes that complete without errors the better, but if juist one test fails, then something is wrong.  Can you redo the test several times and also look at past backup jobs and try to get a sence on how ofter the problem occurs.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:02 PM