SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash DDrive RRS feed

• Question

• When I insert my flash drive into my Vista PC it wants to install a driver and of course can't find one.  I have checked the version number and it is supposed to be compatiable with Vista.  Any help?

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:54 PM

All replies

• I got these instructions form sandisk support and my cruzer micro finally works as a regular storage device! Ready Boost works too!

If the device is not recognized in Vista, first you will need to uninstall the device from the device manager. To do this right click My Computer and select manage, then on the left hand side of the computer management window select device manager.

Next expand Universal Serial Bus Controller or Other devices and look for a SanDisk device showing a yellow question mark (?). Once you locate the SanDisk device, right click it and select Uninstall.

Finally navigate to C:\Windows\INF and delete the infcache.1 file. Reboot the PC. Once the PC has restarted reconnect the device and Vista will rebuild the driver database and install the device

The only additional thing I had to do was find the device with device manager (which said the device was not working properly, and had it listed under dvd/cd drives but who cares) , right click and select properties, then repair/find a solution. That's it!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Hi- Found you discussion & tried it on my SanDisk Cruzer micro 2gb FlashDrive as well....but--- how do I delete the infcache.1 file?  I have signed in as administrator but the system tellls me that I need permission to perform this action.  Multiple clicks do nothing but redisplay the unrelenting window!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:32 AM
  • The problem has been solved.  It wasn't only my cruzer that would not install, but no flash drive would.  My tech guys updated my motherboard drivers and all is well now.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:43 PM
  • Instructions here for deleting infcache.1:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc48c88

Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:04 PM
  • i have tried all these step,its finally work. But after i unplug my flash drive and plug in 2nd time, my flash drive cant be found again.HELP!

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:10 AM
  • i jus want to say thank you, i have tried and returned several flash drives before finding this solution and this worked with ease.....im going to email this to dell because they argued with me for 20 minutes about how i had a bad flash drive...every time i got a new 1, new brand and everything, that didnt work

Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:54 AM
  • ationmyself - I experienced that the first time I used my drive. I would try returning vista to the state it was in before you started trying the flash drive. remove all devices, reset all settings, etc... then try again.

yungdrel - great news. Anyone else have any luck? Please reply if you do have luck. If this works in another case or two I would say it's worth copying the fix to other message boards...

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:24 AM
  • honda00- i m trying to use my new sandisk cruzer micro 4 gig , on my upgraded vista laptop but

m unable to do so. i tried ur steps, uninstalled it from device mngr, deleted inf file, rebooted and when reinserted the drive again it tries to install but unable to do so.......my driver pack even says 'enhanced for ready boost'.... i understand that u3 cant be used in vista right now, but i cant even use this as a normal flash drive.. any ideas..??
    Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:59 AM
  •  sunnyzip wrote:

honda00- i m trying to use my new sandisk cruzer micro 4 gig , on my upgraded vista laptop but

m unable to do so. i tried ur steps, uninstalled it from device mngr, deleted inf file, rebooted and when reinserted the drive again it tries to install but unable to do so.......my driver pack even says 'enhanced for ready boost'.... i understand that u3 cant be used in vista right now, but i cant even use this as a normal flash drive.. any ideas..??

hey i tried once more, and its DONE man. even u3 is working.. thanks a lot for that tip man.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 9:20 AM
  • Yes, It is worth mentioning (as with all of these types of problems I have experienced) that it is always worth trying the same fix twice.... for some reason the second time is a charm!

Sunday, September 2, 2007 12:35 PM
  • I just wanted to mention that these instructions worked for me the first time.  I was getting pretty frustrated, but once I deleted the INFOCACHE1 file and rebooted, my flash drive worked great.  I think this is worth posting elsewhere! Thanks.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:28 PM
  •  

I want to know how long did it take u guys to uninstall the deviece, cuz i waited for a reall LONG LONG time, and it stil wouldn't finish uninstalling.  also, mine doesn't have a BIG YELLOW QUESTION MARK on the device, do I still uninstall it??

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:23 AM
  • Just tried this and in my case it did not work. When I rebooted and plugged my 4gb Microdrive in it just went through the installing drivers, Oops can't find them bit again. Device manager just finds it as; Other devices, U3 Cruzer Micro - so Windows knows what it is but for some reson can't sort it out. I have found out that I need Launchpad 1.4 for Vista but SanDisk have not released this yet. Don't know if this would help though as I can't get my computer to show it as anything at all. Tried to remove Launchpad but once again it asked me to insert a U3 devide in a USB port - but that goes back to not showing in the first place.

Any ideas would help as when I reurned the drive to the store it worked fine on 3 Vista computers, so mine has something stopping it. If the drive was a little larger I could use it as a door stop or coat hanger...

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:37 PM
  • I am case this worked but then Windows Vista was showing that it had no free space on the Cruzer Micro and Dos 'dir' command was showing space so I had to reformat the disk to.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  

well all you have to do is right click the file and then click sercurity and then click on your windows user name and then check all the boxes listed below to allow you permision
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:53 PM
  •  honda00 wrote:

I got these instructions form sandisk support and my cruzer micro finally works as a regular storage device! Ready Boost works too!

If the device is not recognized in Vista, first you will need to uninstall the device from the device manager. To do this right click My Computer and select manage, then on the left hand side of the computer management window select device manager.

Next expand Universal Serial Bus Controller or Other devices and look for a SanDisk device showing a yellow question mark (?). Once you locate the SanDisk device, right click it and select Uninstall.

Finally navigate to C:\Windows\INF and delete the infcache.1 file. Reboot the PC. Once the PC has restarted reconnect the device and Vista will rebuild the driver database and install the device

The only additional thing I had to do was find the device with device manager (which said the device was not working properly, and had it listed under dvd/cd drives but who cares) , right click and select properties, then repair/find a solution. That's it!

This worked Perfect !!!  Thank you !!!   (if everyone would follow your instructions exactly...  as you wrote it, then it would work every time).  Only thing different, was i did not reboot, i just inserted the SanDisk device, & told device manager (must be in device manager first) to scan for hardware changes) and it installed great.  Thanks again.

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:17 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. They don't work for me. I am running Vista Business SP1 as a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion. My hardware is a Mac Pro with two Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz dual-core CPUs and 5 GB memory (2.5 GB dedicated to the Vista virtual machine). My Cruzers (two 4 GB models with U3) worked great on this installation for many months, until yesterday. I made the following changes immediately prior to Vista no longer recognizing the Cruzer:

1. installed .NET 3 (prerequisite for MS Expression Studio 2)
    2. installed
    MS Expression Studio 2

Prior to installing these I had disconnected all USB devices (a printer, a smart card reader, and the Cruzer that was attached). After the successful installation, I reconnected the Cruzer. Vista searched for a driver for "unknown USB device". This was a new behavior. Vista had continouosly recognized the Cruzer since the first time it successfully found a driver, many months ago. Apparently, something about installing .NET 3 or Expression Studio had caused Vista to lose the Cruzer's dirver information.

Unfortunately, I updated the virtual machine (Vista Business) snapshot before reailizing that the Cruzer's were not working.

I followed the steps suggested here (twice), with no resolution. I did test the Cruzer in two other PCs (one with XP SP2 and one with Vista Home Premium SP1) and it worked fine, including U3.

By the way, I have encountered no differences in device support with Vista running as a VMWare virtual machine rather than as a physical machine. I doubt that this issue stems from it running virtually. Thanks.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 4:59 PM
  • I forgot to say that the Cruzer does not show up by name anywhere in the device manager. Under the USB devices was an "unknown device" that I assumed is the Cruzer. That is the device I used when applying the instructions. When right-clicking it and checking properties, there was no option for "frepair" or "fix" or anything similar.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 5:17 PM