I'm starting a new thread, I apologize if this is actually the same issue.
I have followed the MS Migraton steps, have no erros, all seems to be going well. I am at the point of moving mailboxes. I want to test and be sure mailboxes are available before moving. I moved 3 mailboxes in my test - no errors.
Outlook appears to still be looking at the old server. When I change the setting in Outlook - trying both 2003 and 2007 versions of Outlook, it appears to change back to the old (source) server.
I dont' want to move any more mailboxes till I know they will be available to users.
Is this a new profile or are you using an exisitng Outlook Profile for the migrated user. If so, Outlook will (should) automatically detect that the mailbox was moved to a different server.
If creating a new profile Outlook should detect the correct mailbox server for the user profile.
How does it appear to be going back to the old server? - by not finding the user mailbox?
Thanks for the help, I'm coming up completely blank on this one.
Existing profile. This is what I have read that Outlook will automatically find the new server. It is going back to the old server, when I go into configure outlook, the old server is displayed, when I manually change to the new server, open outlook and go back into the mailbox configuration, the old server is back.
I have migrated 3 mailboxes, all have the same issue. I also created a new user, still the same issue.
This isn't just an outlook problem as I can't access OWA either.
Any mailbox moved to the new server becomes inaccessible.
But the mailbox move shows to be complete, without errors.
interesting. So you shouldn't need to even modify an existing users existing outlook profile. Outlook should detect and make the adustment automatically. Suspect something with the new exchange instance in the existing org didnt go right.
If you move the mailbox back to the sbs 03 server , is the mailbox good again?
So, I'm unable to move he mailbox back, just tried this step.
<Result IsWarning="False" ErrorCode="-1056749046">Error occurred in the step: Approving object. This mailbox is already on the destination database.</Result>
Yet when I moved the mailbox from source to destination there were no errors.
After seeing this result, I tried moving again - doesn't make sense if it was already moved successfully but since this error says the mailbox is still on the source server.
here is the result
<Result IsWarning="False" ErrorCode="-1056749262">Error occurred in the step: Opening source mailbox. Failed to open mailbox with error: The operation failed.</Result>
I was able to move 2 mailboxes successfully!!! I had checked the destination server as GC and DC on the previous attempts, I selected the source server on the last 2 attempts and the move is successful. So - would selecting the destination server as DC and GC in the mailbox move wizard kill the mailbox? One of the mailboxes - is mine. I have GFI archiving, still archiving successfully, so if my mailbox is gone I havne't lost anything.
Well this is a mess! So the mailboxes I moved are not receiving email.
Every step I take to try to find what is wrong or change something produces another problem. I tried to create a new user on the new server, as with moving the mailbox, it appears to be successful but there is no new user to be found, even when I search active directory.
I think I'm going to try to do a system state restore from before starting sbs08- but I imagine that will also be a problem.
Given what you're describing and where you're at, consider calling on Microsoft support before taking any additional actions like system state restore. If everything went according to the migration document and you followed it precisely, your most expedient resolution warrants the fixed price charge of a MS support call.