Windows Server 2016 on Laptops RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all! I tried to install Windows Server 2016 on my Dell's laptop and everything is working fine, except touchpad. None drivers became from Windows Update, but I install all Windows 10 drivers from Dell's support page and only touchpad's driver not working. Dell's support page hasn't drivers for none of Windows server OS, just supports from Win 7 to 10, not servers. Also tried install driver from Touchpad's support page, but there is not drivers for Windows Servers and Windows 10 driver is not working.

I know that server OS is not for laptop pc's, but I like it and have you any ideas, is it possible to activate touchpad on my laptop? It worked OS installing process, but after that it not working and I'm using mouse. Touchpad hasn't defect. I have dual boot with Windows 10 and there it working, not problems. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 (3542), i3 4005U.

Friday, November 4, 2016 6:19 AM

All replies

• Make sure the chipset was installed. The chipset allows the OS to find and use devices integrated into motherboard.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Saturday, November 5, 2016 7:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, November 21, 2016 5:26 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Hi Chalicha,

I suppose you may consult the manufacturer of the touchpad.

They are familiar with the product and they may know how to make it work with Server 2016.

Besides, is it for production? It yes, you'd better install Server OS on certified devices.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi Chalicha,

Are there any updates on the issue?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 5:26 AM
  • On Insyde Bios on a lot of laptops the internal pointing device is disabled by default.. It continues to work on Windows 7 - 10 with that setting, however on all the devices I've installed 2016 server onto the internal device has to be enabled in the bios for it to function.  I had this exact problem on a Toshiba and on a HP touch book.  It might be worth checking on your bios configuration also.  Good Luck!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:16 AM
  • Excuse me,but have you sloved the problem?
    Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:50 AM
  • same issue

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 10:46 PM