none
Saving attachments in Outlook 2016 (Office 365)

Question

• Hello!

When I try to SAVE ALL ATTACHMENTS from a mail, Outlook is now saving only files that do not exist in the selected folder. If a file with the same name exits in the selected folder, Outlook down not prompt for Overwrite, but just does not save.

If I now select a specific file, and select the same folder as above, and click OK, it then prompts for overwrite.

This is happening since yesterday: 23 Mar 2017.

Before that, the prompt was appearing. In fact, I use that prompt to ensure the correct folder has been selected (If there was no prompt, the folder was wrongly selected)

Can someone if I have inadvertently changed any setting?

Mohan

MohanSQL

Friday, March 24, 2017 3:47 AM

All replies

• I am now finding that Outlook is adding a counter to the file name (abcd.txt, abcd (1).txt, abcd (2).txt....) while saving, if the filename existed.

I do not think permissions are an issue, as if I try to save a specific file, it prompts for overwrite

This is new behavior: how can I stop this renaming?

Mohan

MohanSQL

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:50 AM
  • Hello Mohan,

This forum is used for discussing development issues about Outlook Object Model. Since your issue is related to product feature of Outlook, I would move this thread into Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:39 AM
  • Thank you: I am sorry I could not locate the correct forum to post my query.

Thank you again

Mohan

MohanSQL

Monday, March 27, 2017 3:54 AM
  • where you able to resolve this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem.
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:19 PM
  • No: I am hoping Office 365 will rectify itself: but so far: no joy, no resolution.

This behavior is specific to Outlook: if a zip attachment is opened and extracted, Windows prompts for overwriting.

Outlook appears to be checking for the filename, and renaming the attachment before saving.

Mohan

MohanSQL

Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:14 AM
  • I have the same problem. All used to work fine but suddenly stopped towards the end of March
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Is it possible to get any clarification from Office 365 support?

I am finding myself making errors when Outlook does not prompt me that a file with the same name as an attachment exists, and saves the attachment under a different name, and this is not noticed.

MohanSQL

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:27 AM
  • Hi!

Haven't found a solution or got any reply: wonder if something is wrong on my installation........

Mohan

MohanSQL

Friday, May 26, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Since yesterday or 31st May 2017, this problem appears to have been cleared. Now I get a prompt to overwrite when I try to save all attachments.

Along with this, the Autocomplete of Date (Press Enter to insert) has also come back: this was missing for nearly a year.  !!! :-)

And it appears my instant search has got messed up   :-(

MohanSQL

Friday, June 2, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Saving attachments has gone bust again today 13th Sep 2017!!

File(n) is created if File exists in destination folder.

So Sad.

MohanSQL

• Edited by MohanSQL Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:15 AM Typo
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:15 AM
  • Hi MohanSQL,

I have same problem..... Wish there was some support from Microsoft?

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:06 AM