none
Mouse listed as "device unavailable" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Last night everything was working fine but as of this morning my machine will not recognize any mouse.  My OS is Windows 10.  I have three separate mice I have tried and all with the same result.  The system installs them and says they are ready.  They do not work though.  I have tried two wireless and 1 wired mouse.  The USB ports do work as I was able to use my flash drive.  I go into the device manager and the mouse/mice are not listed there as part of the "mice and other pointing devices" they get listed as "other devices".  If I go into the control panel it says "device unavailable".  In the control panel, I am unable to right click to search for drivers (it is greyed out). From the device manager, I have tried updating the drivers automatically and none of the drivers can be located according to Windows--yet last night I was using one of these mice (and for the last year or so).  I have downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer's websites and attempted to install those via that method but the results do not change--it tells me the drivers cannot be installed.  I have tried deleting the devices and re-starting.  I have searched the forums and found nothing.

So the USB ports are fine, the touch pad works, but I am unable to use any external mouse as they all end up listed under other devices and the drivers cannot be located.

Windows is up to date as is anti-virus software (Norton).

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:22 PM

All replies

• Windows is up to date as is anti-virus software (Norton).

Did you try rebooting?  Symptoms like this always make me think that there is an update waiting... 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:54 PM
  • Hello!  Yes, I have rebooted numerous times.  I have uninstalled the device then rebooted, rebooted without uninstalling etc.  Thanks for the response!
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:22 PM
  • Hi,

If USB port is OK and mice are also no problem, please check in Device Manger if all devices are OK.
    Are there some devices with yellow/red mark in [Mice and other pointing devices]?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:55 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  I just verified that all of the mice are functional.  There are marks where the mouse is displaying in other devices (small yellow triangles with a question mark) but nothing displayed under mice.
    Friday, February 16, 2018 12:13 AM
  •  have rebooted numerous times.

So, was there an update that you could tie this symptom change to?  That brings up another thing that I have to do frequently:  uninstall an update, uninstall any suspected interferer, reinstall the update and test without the suspected interferer.  In your case I would at least disable, if not uninstall, your Norton package.

Otherwise (faint hope) try the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.  There doesn't seem to be a specific one for pointer devices nor does it allow me to pick a specific device to be checked.

Or, if you are aware of the implementation of mouse support on your system, you could try investigating your symptom from that side.  For example, with Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center (or IntelliPoint support) I know that ipoint.exe must be running.  If it wasn't or if it was being inhibited somehow it would reproduce your symptom.  Here's another possibility on that tack.  Both support packages include the diagnostic utility mousinfo.exe.  Then running it would give a clue about the status of the mouse.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:24 AM
  • Hi

If you find a device displaying small yellow/red mark on it, you need to update/install a driver.
    If you cannot specify the driver, please provide the device name where you see a yellow/red mark on.
    Regards,

Ashidacchi

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for your response.  I just verified that all of the mice are functional.  There are marks where the mouse is displaying in other devices (small yellow triangles with a question mark) but nothing displayed under mice.

Did you get any changes before this issue? That could be including Windows updates, new device installed, or firmware update. If so, please do the system restore back the point before this issue, then try updates again to fix this issue.

Also, please make sure the battery has enough power to supply to your mouse.

The next step is to check the BIOS and see if somehow USB mouse was disabled. If so, enable it and restart the computer. Since the BIOS settings depends on the manufacturer, please refer to manual book to find the related settings.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 16, 2018 7:46 AM
    Owner
  • Ashidacchi,

Thanks for your response.  The device is a Victsing MM057  The hardware ID from device manager is 

USB\VID_062A&PID_5918&REV_0102&MI_01
    USB\VID_062A&PID_5918&MI_01

In the device manger it is just listed as 2.4 Wireless Mouse.  

The wired mouse is an HP  Listed as LOgitech USB Optical mouse in the device manager.  Hardware ID is

USB\VID_046D&PID_C018&REV_4300
    USB\VID_046D&PID_C018

I have attempted to locate the driver for the wireless with no luck.  I have found the other driver listed on sites but it all appears to be sketchy spyware/malware sites.

Friday, February 16, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Hello, 

Thank you for your reply.  There have been no updates between when the devices were functional and when they stopped working.  :(

The battery is fully charged...so I think am good there.

I will check the BIOS.  Definitely a possibility.

Thanks again.

Friday, February 16, 2018 1:36 PM
  • Robert,

Thanks for your response.  

There have been no updates.  Unfortunately. It would probably be a quicker fix than most things.

I ran the troubleshooter and all of the mice came back as not having drivers but it will still not locate any drivers and I cannot seem to locate any reliable drivers on-line for the devices.  The two main devices are 

a Victsing MM057  The hardware ID from device manager is 

USB\VID_062A&PID_5918&REV_0102&MI_01
    USB\VID_062A&PID_5918&MI_01

In the device manger it is just listed as 2.4 Wireless Mouse.  

The wired mouse is an HP  Listed as LOgitech USB Optical mouse in the device manager.  Hardware ID is

USB\VID_046D&PID_C018

I downloaded intellipoint and attempted to run mouseinfo.exe but when I do, the mice are not even displaying in there--just the touchpad.

Friday, February 16, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Victsing MM057 is a wireless mouse, that reqires a small receiver on PC side. Did you insert a receiver into a USB port of your computer?  And did you check if battery in the mouse has enough power?

If HP wired USB mouse won't work,  connect it to other USB port.  (I suspect a USB port is corrupted, or bad connection elctronically.)

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Friday, February 16, 2018 7:42 PM
    Friday, February 16, 2018 2:21 PM
  • The receiver is plugged in.  I have tried all the usb ports with all of the mice (including the HP wired).  Still no luck.  I checked the mice on another machine and all functioned properly.  

My flash drive works in the USB drives on the machine.

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Do you connect two mice (wireless and wided) at the same time? If so, disconnect one, and reboot your computer.

Ashidacchi

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:46 PM
  • No.  I have just tried them separately.  Uninstalling them before connecting another.  Sorry for the confusion.
    Friday, February 16, 2018 3:10 PM
  • The wired mouse is an HP  Listed as LOgitech USB Optical mouse in the device manager.  Hardware ID is

USB\VID_046D&PID_C018

Surely you could get a driver for that.  It may not show up in mousinfo because it is not from Microsoft.  However, LogiTech have a similar tool.  Also, when I do a quick search with that Hardware ID at logitech.com it comes up wireless too?  It looks as if at LogiTech "corded" would be a better search term to use than "wired".

Otherwise, what driver are you seeing if you use the "update" option which says "browse my computer" and "let me pick" to find something?

BTW although it appears that you are managing well enough without a mouse, I would curious, if you have a full keyboard (or at least a numeric keypad of some kind) to see if you could use MouseKeys with it.  That would be a "mouse driver" too but mousinfo doesn't give me any sign of it either.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, February 16, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

This will be my last post about this issue.
    Please try to Disable [USB Selected Suspend Setting].

(1) [Control Panel] > type "power" (in upper right corner and [Enter]
         > [Edit power plan]

(2) > [Change advanced power settings]

(3) Disable [USB selective suspend setting]

Good luck !!

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Friday, February 16, 2018 11:52 PM
  • I have this exact same issue. This has hit 4 systems so far on our network. The only things that have fixed the issue is to use system restore or to restore an image backup. So far I can't figure out a cause and I don't understand why it hits some systems and not others, I run a network of around 70 systems.

• Edited by Mud Diver Saturday, February 17, 2018 12:01 AM
    Friday, February 16, 2018 11:59 PM
  • can't figure out a cause

This has reminded me that Device Manager sometimes gets polluted with too many references to my USB hub; so then eventually my USB hub is declared an "unrecognized device" and hence anything attached to it is unseen and unusable.  The necessary workaround for that is to use Device Manager with Show hidden... to remove everything associated with the USB hub, then shut down, power off everything, detach everything, restart and once the system is running again, start attaching things the way I want them used.  I have had to do this at least 3 times, usually in some kind of loose relation to an update.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:09 AM
  • I have this exact same issue. This has hit 4 systems so far on our network. The only things that have fixed the issue is to use system restore or to restore an image backup. So far I can't figure out a cause and I don't understand why it hits some systems and not others, I run a network of around 70 systems.

I am also having this problem.  Yesterday my Win10 laptop and mouse were perfectly fine.  After bootup this morning the mouse no longer works.  It shows up in the device manager as unavailable (Frustratingly it will list in the device manager, and then be removed when I unplug it, so it sees it). I have tried loading new drivers, I have tried updating the drivers. I get the error message 10 saying it can't start the device. I have tried different mice.  I have tested the mice in other machines (they work). I have rebooted *many* times.  I have plugged the mouse into different usb ports. The usb ports work, I have a an external drive that loads every time.  I have run windows update. I have run MS Store updates.  I have tried with my Norton turned off.  I have tried the disabling the energy plan USB selective suspend setting listed previously.  

The only thing NEW I can offer to this thread is that the mouse optical scanner does LIGHT up for a second upon booting the laptop up, and when it passes the BIOS post it dies.  So I am guessing that something is preventing the usb mouse driver from loading at startup.  But I have tried booting in safe (diagnostic) mode, and still no mouse.   What is going on?

Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:19 AM
  • guessing that something is preventing the usb mouse driver from loading at startup.

In that case couldn't you try loading it manually after startup?  Then you could be tracing with ProcMon to see if it gave any clues.  In fact, you could also use ProcMon's Boot Logging option to try to capture what was happening at startup.  Also, I think there is a Boot logging option available from Advanced Boot Options... -- and by msconfig! 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, February 17, 2018 3:52 AM
  • having exact same problem 6 hours ago. 
    Anyone found a way to solve this ? or will incoming window update solve this?
    • Edited by swaitsme Sunday, February 18, 2018 6:20 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Londark Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Londark Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:26 PM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 6:19 AM
  • I had the same problem as all of us in here. Yesterday night all was fine. Today, my mouse did not work, flashed its led during BIOS screen, then at startup it was "dead". I tried everything I read on every forum or solution I've found on internet. What DID solve it to me right away, was uninstalling the following update: KB4074588.
    After it restarted, device worked fine like nothing happen. Suffice to say, I was about to format my entire disk to fix this goddamn software that they dare to call "OS". Hope that helps :)

• Edited by Londark Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:31 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Londark Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:57 PM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 2:30 PM
  • Hello All,

Exact same issue here.  Mouse was working fine this morning but completely stopped working after reboot.  Devices show up in list but indicate "driver not available" (same issue for Universal Logitech or wired mouse). Have attempted numerous reboots since, but no success.

After deleted devices from device manager, Windows manages to successfully "reinstall" devices, but they still don't work. Devices remain in "driver is unavailable" mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

K

Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:04 PM
  • Hi zombie_breeder,

Good morning (in Japan), how is your issue? 
    Let me confirm:
    Do you use a USB hub to connect your mouse and computer?
    If so, please try to connect your mouse directly to computer, without using a USB hub.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:48 PM
  • I read on every forum or solution I've found on internet. What DID solve it to me right away, was uninstalling the following update: KB4074588.
    After it restarted, device worked fine like nothing happen

After much web searching I also found a pretty good article that gave a solution: https://www.askwoody.com/2018/report-of-the-win10-1709-cumulative-update-kb-4074588-disabling-usb-devices/

!! Uninstall update KB4074588.

Once I rebooted my mouse started working again!

I am using an MSI laptop, and this is what sold me on there being a problem with the update on 2/13:

February 16, 2018 at 12:45 pm #167876 Reply

anonymous

There seems to be confusion of an MSI hardware device inside MSI laptop and a file format used by the Windows certutil program. In this MSI EPF device flashing manual (PDF file) it shows a laptop being used with a USB hub. Here is the documentation for Unified Write Filter.

Sorry, I can only vaguely guess at what really happened to those users. One of my guesses is it looks like USB driver filtering is being broken with the update?

• Proposed as answer by Jennyjbe Friday, February 23, 2018 1:33 AM
    Sunday, February 18, 2018 11:24 PM
  • After going through my network today I can confirm that removing KB407588 resolves this problem. I have done this on 7 PCs so far and all have returned to normal after removing that patch.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 9:59 PM
  • This fix worked for me with about 5 different users, but by the time I finished with #5 and went back to double check #1, the update had reinstalled and was waiting for a reboot.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 11:24 PM
  • I had the same issue and now after uninstalling the KB4074588 updates, the external devices are recovered.

Thank you

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:36 PM
  • I had the same problem as all of us in here. Yesterday night all was fine. Today, my mouse did not work, flashed its led during BIOS screen, then at startup it was "dead". I tried everything I read on every forum or solution I've found on internet. What DID solve it to me right away, was uninstalling the following update: KB4074588.
    After it restarted, device worked fine like nothing happen. Suffice to say, I was about to format my entire disk to fix this goddamn software that they dare to call "OS". Hope that helps :)

How did you find the update and uninstall it? I've been dealing with this issue for two days now. Thanks for sharing! 
    Friday, February 23, 2018 1:31 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue but I am unable to find update KB4074588 in my desktop PC under add remove programs. Can some one help me how to find it and uninstall?
    Friday, February 23, 2018 7:55 AM
  • Please try: uninstall KB4074588 (released with February Patch Tuesday, 13, Feb. 2018)

[Control Panel] > [Programs] > [Programs and Features]

> [View installed updates] (upper left side of window) > find KB4074588 and uninstall it     
    Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Proposed as answer by Ashidacchi Saturday, February 24, 2018 3:34 AM
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:12 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Thank you Ashidacchi,

This solve my problem with USB devices. :)

Friday, February 23, 2018 2:20 PM
  • Same problem here. That's a major flaw and a total shame - it's worse than a "virus". Unexpectedly the Microsoft (!!!) wireless mouse stopped working - Microsoft (!!!) Nano Transceiver driver not present. Still listed in devices, though. Tried everything, from plug/unplug the transceiver - the os recognized it and said "installed and ready to use" (!!!), to driver update, restart, than full restart, finally updating any driver on my laptop - including video! Nothing worked. Thank you for the solution provided here - I figured out either that's something related to the update. Uninstalled the latest "security" update (KB4074588) and now it's all back to normal. 

What next? Skip every update from now on?! MS, please find a solution soon!

Regards,

Sunday, February 25, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Uninstalled the latest "security" update (KB4074588) and now it's all back to normal. 

The KB article has been updated with a workaround.

After installing this update, some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard or mouse, may stop working.  This may occur when the windows update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Workaround steps are available in KB4091240.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, February 25, 2018 9:22 PM
  • Hey Robert,

This is exactly the issue that I found.  On both my Dell OptiPlex 990 and my wife's Lenovo laptop, the update removed the input.inf and input.PNF files, which have the drivers for our devices that stopped working.  I recovered copies of the two files and was able to reinstall the drivers for my mouse and KVM, and her touchscreen and a device I didn't recognize.

Thanks,

David L. Smith

P.S. For any of you that may not know, the inf files are in the C:\Windows\INF folder.
    • Edited by DataLAN Monday, February 26, 2018 6:47 AM Postscript
    Monday, February 26, 2018 12:01 AM
  • Thanks for the info dataLan. I have make sure to backup a copy of our basic INF files in C:\windows\INF at work to ensure if these disappear, we can promptly restore them.

I have also downloaded a driver and driverstore files a user had uploaded, mentioned on this page: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3256218/microsoft-windows/buggy-win10-1709-cumulative-update-kb-4074588-redlining-bluescreening-borking-usb.html.

This is just in case those that need the HID drivers can also restore those as well. These go into the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository. Look for input.inf..... and Keyboard.inf....and msmouse.inf..... Copy those as well. That should be a good start to having a back up files driver files in place.

Monday, February 26, 2018 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

After installing update February 13, 2018—KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248), some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard or mouse, may stop working. This may occur when the windows update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Here is the workaround for your reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091240/usb-devices-may-stop-working-after-installing-the-february-13-2018-upd

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:08 AM
    Owner
  • I have a Del Inspiron 3464 that is only a couple of months old. OS is Windows Home. It was set up by me as simply as possible. 

After this update USB keyboard and Mouse are only working in Bios.

I have been locked out of windows by Bitlocker?

I do not have a recovery key. I do not know how Bitlocker was enabled on my PC. I do not have a RK on my MS account.

Unable to move past recovery screen without RK. Unable to access hard drive without RK

Without keyboard and mouse cannot access Windows. I cannot uninstall or even back up. I cannot turn BitLocker OFF.

I have 12 years of work and irreplaceable personal data on this PC. My livelihood depends on this.

Please help. I am desperate and cannot believe this update has caused so much turmoil for me.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:11 AM
  • I have a Del Inspiron 3464 that is only a couple of months old. OS is Windows Home. It was set up by me as simply as possible. 

I do not have a recovery key. I do not know how Bitlocker was enabled on my PC. I do not have a RK on my MS account.

Unable to move past recovery screen without RK. Unable to access hard drive without RK

Without keyboard and mouse cannot access Windows. I cannot back up. I cannot turn BitLocker OFF.

I have 12 years of work and irreplaceable personal data on this PC. My livelihood depends on this.

Please help. I am desperate and cannot believe this update has caused so much turmoil for me.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:13 AM

Without keyboard and mouse cannot access Windows. I cannot back up. I cannot turn BitLocker OFF.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:27 AM
  • Hi Isabel965,

Would you please create a new thread about your issue?

There are many threads in this matter, and your issue is related with BitLocker (+ USB issue). So, it would be answered easier, if you create a new thread.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:32 AM
  • Hi Isabel965,

You must have misunderstood what I mentioned. (for my poor English)
    Please post your question as a new question (not in this thread).
    And provide the exact model name of your Dell computer (there are many models in Inspiron 3464). 

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:08 AM
  • Hello

THis should be addressed in this update which went out yesterday

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:15 PM