none
Backing up virtual machines in a cluster using dpm 2010 (passthrough iscsi drives used for vm drives) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hyperv vm that is in a failover cluster. The hyperv configuration file sits on a csv clustered drive. Beside the conf file, there is also a file that is the size of how much ram I give the vm. I then have iscsi drives attached at the host level that are added to the vm settings as passthrough for c:, d: and e:.  The drives are luns hosted on an EMC VNXe 3100.

I have created a protection group for the cluster in DPM and chose to backup a vm within the cluster.  If I have the hardware vss provider from emc installed and try a backup, dpm cannot backup the drives attached the the vm with the following error:

DPM failed to synchronize changes for Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\vmexchange02 on vmexchange02.pghvmc01.seegrid.local because the snapshot volume did not have sufficient storage space to hold the churn on the protected computer (ID 30115 Details: VssError:Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.
     (0x8004231F))

If I dont have the EMC vss hardware provider running, dpm says it successfully backups the vm in the cluster but really is only backing up the data on the csv (the vm conf file and the ram file). 

Is there a way to have the passthrough disks backed within the hyperv vm in the cluster protection group or do I need to install the dpm client within the vm and backup only within the vm?

I also found that if I create a snapshot of the drive within the EMC VNXe, I can mount that snapshot to the dpm server via isci and backup the drive.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When doing host level protection we cannot backup the passthru disks connected inside the guests.   As noted the only way to protect passthru disks data is to install the DPM agent inside the guest and backup the volumes that way.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:16 AM