Best practice for SCEP definition ADR? RRS feed

• Question

• This is how I understand the best practice to be for configuring the SCEP definition ADR:

• Have synchronization run once per day during non peak hours 
    • Configure the SCEP definition ADR to run after each synchronization rather than running in intervals such as every 6 hours
    • Do not run synchronizations multiple times per day because it can add extra load on the server and cause the software update package version to increase too quickly and impact the definition deployment success rate

Is this true?

If so, then if Microsoft releases SCEP definitions 3 times per day and the synchronization runs only once per day, then obviously SCEP clients will not be able to download the latest, most current SCEP definition due to the fact that the sync process is what actually grabs the metadata from Microsoft's catalog. 

Is it even possible to run multiple synchronizations per day? I am running SCCM 2012 R2 in my environment and I DO NOT see anywhere where one can configure multiple software update synchronizations to take place. It is possible from what I understand to do this using 3rd party tools, but I really do not want to go there. 

Can someone please help me with this?

As always, thanks so much. 

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That changed after Sp1 so it was true but now with sp1 and R2 you can schedule them three times a day. If you have infrastructure that can't handle that, that is another topic. But from Sp1 and further synchronizing the SUP three times a day and set the ADR to trigger after a synchronization is the best practice.

"For performance reasons, in Configuration Manager with no Service Pack, do not schedule automatic deployment rules to deliver definition updates more than once each day. In Configuration Manager SP1, do not schedule automatic deployment rules to deliver definition updates more than three times a day."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822983.aspx

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:11 AM
  • HI,

You can configure it under Administration, Site Configuration, Sites, "sitename", Configure Site COmponents, Software Update Point and under the tab "Synch Schedule"

Regards,
    Jörgen

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

That changed after Sp1 so it was true but now with sp1 and R2 you can schedule them three times a day. If you have infrastructure that can't handle that, that is another topic. But from Sp1 and further synchronizing the SUP three times a day and set the ADR to trigger after a synchronization is the best practice.

"For performance reasons, in Configuration Manager with no Service Pack, do not schedule automatic deployment rules to deliver definition updates more than once each day. In Configuration Manager SP1, do not schedule automatic deployment rules to deliver definition updates more than three times a day."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822983.aspx

Regards,
    Jörgen

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:11 AM
  • Thanks

But where can I configure a synchronization to take place 3x per day? Is that done in the Software Update Point Component properties wizard on the Sync Schedule tab? I guess I would remove the Simple Schedule of run every 1 days and create a custom schedule to run every so many hours throughout the day?

I have the infrastructure to support multiple synchronizations per day. Given that, as an SCCM MVP what would you recommend to be the best practice in this case? Keep it as is, or run a sync in intervals throughout the day?

Thanks Jorgen

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:29 AM
  • HI,

You can configure it under Administration, Site Configuration, Sites, "sitename", Configure Site COmponents, Software Update Point and under the tab "Synch Schedule"

Regards,
    Jörgen

Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:39 AM