Searching for devices in CM produces varied results RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Got a strange issue that i need some direction in resolving.

When we perform a search for a device in CM using the computer name the device doesn't show up, if i then get the Unique ID using CM support centre and search with that it appears but with a completely different device name. Looking at the properties it shows a few correct properties (MAC, IP, User ect.) but all other properties are from other devices so far 3 different computers. 

Now it gets even stranger, if i then perform the original search for the computer name it appears, the properties are still incorrect but it actually shows up.

Let me know if anything is unclear, any help would be great.

• Edited by Milo3971 Monday, March 16, 2015 7:54 AM Missing word.
    Monday, March 16, 2015 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Joyce,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have not checked the database directly ill do that today. A few other things I have found there are a few workstations with duplicate uniquie ID's listed in the SMSCFG.ini file under c:\windows, these machines are the machines that show incorrect information in the CM console.

I downloaded another copy of windows and used the .wim to build / rebuild a few test machines and found that these display correctly. I'm not sure if the image we have been using was causing the problem but so far this seems to have sorted it. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:54 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 12:58 AM

All replies

• Have you deployed those clients using an image?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Our workstations are deployed via OSD from a base windows 7 sp1 .wim, I built a workgroup workstation today from the same .wim to double check that the CM client wasn't present before the workstation is renamed and joined to the domain.
    Monday, March 16, 2015 10:25 AM
  • By base WIM, do you mean off of the media or one that you created? If created, how did you create it?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, March 16, 2015 7:13 PM
  • Straight off the media, the only changes to it are updates applied via CM.
    Monday, March 16, 2015 10:13 PM
  • I guess that's something that cannot be solved here in the forums. You would have to sit in front of the system to perform various checks.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the device information in Database according to the resource ID or computer name? Are they correct?

Does this error only happens when you perform a search? The device information shows correct when you find the device without search?

Best Regards,

Joyce

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Milo3971 Friday, March 27, 2015 12:54 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:59 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have not checked the database directly ill do that today. A few other things I have found there are a few workstations with duplicate uniquie ID's listed in the SMSCFG.ini file under c:\windows, these machines are the machines that show incorrect information in the CM console.

I downloaded another copy of windows and used the .wim to build / rebuild a few test machines and found that these display correctly. I'm not sure if the image we have been using was causing the problem but so far this seems to have sorted it. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:54 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 12:58 AM