Will Windows 2003 WSUS server stop downloading in 14 days? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon All,

Myself and a colleague have just thought we still have a few 2003 servers still running. I know its not the best but these run some of our WSUS services for selected applications. I was wondering with 2003 becoming end of line will this stop the WSUS server from downloading updates from the catalog for newer operating systems such as Windows 7 and above. I can not seem to see anything anywhere to indicate this apart from migrate away as soon as possible.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi

It will not stop running.But the 2003 server not under Support of ms,means could not install security&critical etc updates,this about server 2003 site.

Your 2003 wsus server will run.I strongly recommned that you should upgrade your server 2003 environment to newest version servers.(also 2012r2),for security reasons.

Also check detailed informaiton Windows server 2003 Support is ending july14,2015 article;

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2003/

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:45 AM
  • Hi Burak,

So from this I assume Microsoft will support the WSUS instance assuming they do not close the catalog but they will not cover the OS

I assume the response would be upgrade the OS first from Microsoft? 

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:01 PM
  • Hi

Correct;WSUS server will continue to runing.But your server 2003 OS will not cover supported.

On WSUS catalog there will no longer avaible new updates for XP and server 2003 update also.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015 3:07 PM