none
Update Baseline RRS feed

• Question

• I use Baseline plan as my target date or deadline to submit work to customers. I use Finish date as estimated completion date which could be different date from Baseline.

I add Baseline start/finish date columns to the view. However, when I make changes these dates manually (without going to Tools->Tracking->Set Baseline), the other data e.g. duration and work doesn't change according to the new baseline finish date.

It's not possible to set Baseline from the menu everytime because my finish date and baseline date is usually not the same. If I set Baseline through the menu, software will copy Finish date to Baseline Finish. Is there a way that I can update Baseline start/finish date manually and other related baseline fields will be updated automatically?

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:07 AM

Answers

• Mimi,

It looks like Andrew has been tied up for the day. To answer your question, no, as long as a user has access to the file, there is no way to prevent them from making changes. The best approach is training, having a set of operational ground rules, and a little file auditing, (often preformed by some macros), to keep everybody "honest". Yes, you could write protect the file with a password but that locks out all updating for users.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:16 AM

All replies

• Why don't you use the Deadline field for that purpose?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:38 AM
  • I were considering using Deadline before because of its flexibility. However, deadline only gives me the finish date, not start/duration/work/EV. So, I think Baseline plan is very useful to meet my goal. However, I can't get other fields to automacally calculated when I manually change baseline finish. If that's the case, why the software allows user to change this data on the table?
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Fair enough.  What if you baseline only selected tasks?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:04 PM
  • I thought about it too but both all the tasks and selected tasks option will face the same problem if my finish plan date is different than my deadline date (that will be used as baseline finish date). Is there a way to prevent users to change baseline date manually?
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Mimi,

It looks like Andrew has been tied up for the day. To answer your question, no, as long as a user has access to the file, there is no way to prevent them from making changes. The best approach is training, having a set of operational ground rules, and a little file auditing, (often preformed by some macros), to keep everybody "honest". Yes, you could write protect the file with a password but that locks out all updating for users.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, November 4, 2011 2:16 AM