Windows XP file renaming by double clicking filename RRS feed

• Question

• When in a folder attempting to open a file by double clicking on it, instead of opening I'm prompted to rename the file.  This will happen the first time I attempt to open a file then the next time the file will open without issue.  This happens for all files, attempt to open and get prompted to rename, disselect the file and double click it again and it opens fine.  This problem happens if I'm double clicking the file name or the icon. 

Now, at first I assumed it was because I was not clicking fast enough but that was not the case, I even enabled the single-click open feature and it still happens. I'm not really sure what else to do as it is not possible to disable the double click filename to rename feature. 

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you install software that add things to the right-click menu or something like that ?

If so, it seems to be registry related.

Did you try tp modify your double-click speed settings in control panel ?

You have the same thing with folders ?

Cheers,

http://blog.simaju.fr - Partage de connaissances et retour d'expériences.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

Did you install software that add things to the right-click menu or something like that ?

No - the most recent change made was physically moving the computer from one desk to another

Did you try tp modify your double-click speed settings in control panel ?

Yes, after the single-click setting failed I tried the click speed.  It still has the same behavior.

You have the same thing with folders ?

I should have mentioned this in the initial post, it only happens with PDF documents.  I've tried reinstalling Adobe reader, Adobe Writer, and various older versions of reader.  I've also posted this question on Adobe help forums.  

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:29 PM