Outlook search finds emails even OL is disconnected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Like the topic says, my Outlook was on disconnected mode, all emails I sent stays in Outbox. That is - kind of - fine :)

The funny part was the "search". When I search emails from inbox I was actually able to find emails which were in my inbox, but not on Outlook as was still disconnected. The preview of course did not show the messages.

The question to you, how Outlook can find the emails even it is disconnected state? Obviously the network connectivity works, but does Outlook use EWS to find the emails and indexes and in that sence bypass the disconnect status?

Petri

ps. Outlook 365 and mailbox in Exchange online.

• Edited by Petri X Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:01 PM Clarify OL and EXO
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:00 PM

All replies

• The question to you, how Outlook can find the emails even it is disconnected state? Obviously the network connectivity works, but does Outlook use EWS to find the emails and indexes and in that sence bypass the disconnect status?

Hi Petri X,

If the Exchange server isn’t available or when working offline, Outlook will automatically fall back to the Windows Search Index to display the Search results. 

Please refer to the forum article and blog below for more explanations about how the Search feature works in Outlook 2016 or Outlook for Office 365:

Outlook 2016 now uses the Exchange Search Index in priority 
    How Outlook 2016 utilizes Exchange Server 2016 FAST Search

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Hi Petri X,

Just checked in to see how everything is going on with the issue. If the reply above was useful, could you please help mark it as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 17, 2018 11:01 AM