Can BranchCache work in stand-alome (local cache) mode? RRS feed

• Question

• In a simple testing setup where a content server and a client machine is BranchCache enabled, would the client be able to leverage branchcache through the local cache?

I am asking because I see no performance gain at all in my little lab, and like to figure out if I have missed out something.

And can I assume opening a document at local cache is something close to opening the document at a local folder when it comes to performance?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Quick answer is no. I think you may misunderstand the BranchCache mechanism.

To optimize WAN bandwidth, BranchCache copies content from your main office content servers and caches the content at branch office locations, allowing client computers at branch offices to access the content locally rather than over the WAN.

At branch offices, content is stored either on servers that are running the BranchCache feature of Windows Server 2008 R2 or, when no server is available in the branch office, on computers running Windows 7. After a client computer requests and receives content from the main office and the content is cached at the branch office, other computers at the same branch office can obtain the content locally rather than contacting the main office over the WAN link.

BranchCache increases end user productivity by improving content query response times for clients and servers in branch offices, and can also help improve network performance by reducing traffic over WAN links.

Hope this helps.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:10 AM
  • May I know the difference between Local Cache and publication cache, and how they work differently in Hosted mode and distributed mode?

you will see status of the Local Cache and publication cache when you use the netsh command to show status

I wonder why branchcache cannot work in the situation I described, the branchcache enabled win7 client at remote office should work at least for distributed mode?

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:54 AM
  • BranchCache does have a local mode, so this should be possible. See the set service command in the netsh technical reference (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979561(WS.10).aspx). Here is an excerpt of some of the documentation for that command, note the mode section:

set service

Configures the BranchCache service. When you run this command, BranchCache also configures the firewall on the local computer for the selected mode of operation.

Syntax

set service [mode= ] { DISABLED | LOCAL | DISTRIBUTED | HOSTEDSERVER | HOSTEDCLIENT } [ [location= ] HostName ] [ [clientauthentication= ] { DOMAIN | NONE } ] [ [serveonbattery= ] { TRUE | FALSE } ]

Parameters

mode
    Required. Configures the BranchCache service to operate in one of the following modes. DISABLED disables the BranchCache service. LOCAL uses caching on the local computer only. DISTRIBUTED enables distributed cache mode, allowing authorized client computers in branch offices to download and republish content. HOSTEDSERVER configures the local computer as a hosted cache server. HOSTEDCLIENT configures the local computer as a hosted cache client.

I should note that I haven't tested this and don't know if it will fulfill the requirements you may have.

James McIllece

James McIllece
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Also, it seems to me that if you deployed local mode you would probably need to use the hashgen command (if you're using a file server as a content server) to manually generate BranchCache content information. This is because content information isn't created until after the first time a client computer requests content. Just a thought, might be worth trying.

James McIllece

James McIllece
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:20 PM