Message delivery delayed - Shadow Redundancy queue RRS feed

• Question

• I have around 1500 emails sitting in the Shadow Redundancy queue, 99% of them are going to a known external email address.  When emails sit in this queue is it because they are waiting for a response from the destination server?
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check email queue on edge server. Need to identified why emails are not delivering, else shadow queue will keep increasing. 

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Note:- Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by IndyBeerGuy Friday, March 22, 2019 2:29 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2019 4:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Emails in shadow redundancy doesn't means that those are not delivered. This queue is used for redundant copy of messages and certainty of email delivery. These emails will go away automatically once time expire of these messages. Default duration is 2 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/transport-high-availability/shadow-redundancy?view=exchserver-2019

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Gotcha, I'm getting notifications about delivery being delayed and saw the same recipient in that queue.  I assumed that's where the bottle neck was.  
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

Run get-queue and check if your email is there. That will show you reason as well of delay.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Get-queue shows me my queues, all of which are empty with the exception of the Shadow queue.  Looking at Get-MessageTrackingLog I don't see anything in there marked as delayed.  We still get delivery delayed messages for this one email address.  This user has their company email added to a paid gmail account and from the looks of the header the delay is when it tries to go to gmail.  

Is it possible these delivery delays are ancient and aren't actually an issue?

*EDIT
    He does not have it added to a gmail account like I thought.  We just have the forward set on it to forward to a contact that has an email address managed by google.  

• Edited by IndyBeerGuy Wednesday, March 20, 2019 8:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Which server are generating these delayed emails?

I doubt it is generating by internal Exchange server.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:17 PM
  • My edge server is the originating server with a Remote Server returned '400 4.4.7 Message delayed'.  The remote server looks to be a google server though.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:08 PM
  • The shadow queue keeps growing.  99% of the email in there is going to the same external email address.  We have a forward setup on this end user's internal email sending to this external address.  I know those are only copies of an email but is that normal behavior?  The other queues are fine.  I can confirm emails in the shadow redundancy queue have not been delivered to this external recipient.  If the sending domain was on a spam list could that cause it to be undeliverable?

• Edited by IndyBeerGuy Thursday, March 21, 2019 4:05 PM update
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

Check email queue on edge server. Need to identified why emails are not delivering, else shadow queue will keep increasing. 

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

• Marked as answer by IndyBeerGuy Friday, March 22, 2019 2:29 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2019 4:49 AM
  • That's the piece I was missing.  It was staring me right in the face, check the edge server... duh!!  The error I'm seeing is "The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that prevents additional messages from being delivered."

Thanks Ashish!!  

Friday, March 22, 2019 2:29 PM
  • This issue turned out to be a limit to the number of messages a gmail account can receive within a 24 hour period.  I turned the forward off for my end user over the weekend and the queue caught up with itself.  Thanks for the help Ashish!!
    Monday, March 25, 2019 3:59 PM