none
Issue with MPP-Views (Local and server) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Project server 2007 with SP1 and SQL server 2005.

The issue is: Whenever a project is being opened from PWA (edit project from PWA), while project is opening, it prompts a message.

The project you are opening contains either a view or table with the same name as the same element in the enterprise global template.

For example, if your project's default view is the Gantt Chart and your Project Server administrator adds the Gantt Chart view to the enterprise global template while you have the project closed, this message will appear when you reopen your project.

When connected to the computer(s) running Microsoft Office Project Server, common formatting elements such as views, tables, filters, reports, and groups can be controlled and stored on the server in the enterprise global template. The enterprise global template ensures that all projects within an organization that use the given formatting element will look the same.

Because formatting from the enterprise global template takes precedence over local formatting, you must rename your local view or table, or cancel opening the project.

Tip: When you save enterprise projects as MPP files using the Save As dialog box, you are prompted to either save the project with Global items except enterprise outline codes or Currently loaded global items. Choose the Currently loaded global items option if you plan to import the project into Project Server.

Let me know if you have any idea how to resolve such an issue.
    Regards,
    Sudhir
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Incase I rename the view and publish the project will my other projects in the server will get effected..?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Sudhir

Monday, October 11, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Sudhir:

The error message indicates that you likely copied a local view into the Enterprise Global inadvertantly. When you start project, go ahead and rename the views as this only affects your current session. You need to apply the Enterprise Gantt Chart and then open the Enterprise Global and remove the local views that you accidentally copied to the Global.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:30 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response.

Can you please tell me what do you mean by "You need to apply the Enterprise Gantt Chart".Is it that I need to rename the view and then add it somewhere in enterprise global.Can you please eloborate..as i am new to P12 implementations.

Regards,

Sudhir

Monday, October 11, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Have applied your idea and deleted the local view that was added to the global template accidently.Now there is no such issue with MPP views.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sudhir

Monday, October 11, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Sudhir:

When you open the Enterprise Global, you should always have an enterprise view applied. If you have a local view applied, or appy one when the E-Global is open, you copy it into the E-Global. That is how your problem began.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, October 11, 2010 5:30 PM