Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer? every time I launch Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer?    pops up every time I launch Microsoft Outlook 2016.

This is a retail/consumer version, fully purchased as part of Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus.

I have rebooted my system multiple times and also run a Quick Repair from Programs and Features with a reboot afterwards.

What is causing this and how do I stop the prompt?

Friday, April 6, 2018 10:45 AM

Answers

• A new profile might have been a good idea.   I also did try safe mode for Outlook (not Windows) but that did not make the message go away.  I don't know if I mentioned it but I also tried a repair of Office from Programs and Features (quick repair).

So what finally fixed this was to completely remove Office 2016 Professional Plus, reboot and reinstall the entire package.

No error now.

• Marked as answer by Mazarim Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:28 AM
    Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Mazarim,

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Does this error message pop up if you log on the web mail?

According to my research, this error message seems to be related with Internet options. Please follow the steps to see the result.

1. Go to Control Pane > Internet Options.

2. Under Advanced tab, click Reset.

3. Restart computer.

Besides, please also testing this issue in a new profile to check the result.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Saturday, April 7, 2018 6:30 AM
  • What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Hotmail.com    Outlook 2016 configured the account, not me.

Does this error message pop up if you log on the web mail?

It does not pop up with (free) web mail.  Only Outlook 2016 (which I paid a lot of money for).

According to my research, this error message seems to be related with Internet options. Please follow the steps to see the result.
    1. Go to Control Pane > Internet Options.
    2. Under Advanced tab, click Reset.
    3. Restart computer.

I followed all of those steps exactly and the problem still occurs.

Besides, please also testing this issue in a new profile to check the result.
    Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

New profile is not an option because I don’t want to lose all of my personalization and reinstall most of my applications.

So, no solution.  Anybody else have any suggestions?  Thank you for your time.
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

>>New profile is not an option because I don’t want to lose all of my personalization and reinstall most of my applications.

You don't have to delete your profile. We could just create a new profile to test it. This helps us to narrow down the causes of the issue.

Besides, I would suggest you to modify the User Account Control setting and check if the issue persists.

1. Right click Start, Select Control Panel
    2. Navigate to System and Security > Action Center
    3. From the left pane, Select Change User Account Control settings
    4. Drag the scroll button to Never notify
    5. Click on OK to save your settings.

What's more, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

In case this issue was caused by software conflicts, please try performing a clean boot in Windows to check the result.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Sunday, April 8, 2018 1:55 AM
    Sunday, April 8, 2018 1:54 AM
  • A new profile might have been a good idea.   I also did try safe mode for Outlook (not Windows) but that did not make the message go away.  I don't know if I mentioned it but I also tried a repair of Office from Programs and Features (quick repair).

So what finally fixed this was to completely remove Office 2016 Professional Plus, reboot and reinstall the entire package.

No error now.

• Marked as answer by Mazarim Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:28 AM
    Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:28 AM