Information Management Policy and Workflow history and the timer job RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning,

In our production environment we have a workflow history that has about 2.4 million rows, and I am trying to prune this using the Information Management policy and the Expiration policy.  In our development farm .. we had a list that was about 900k rows and those two jobs ran over the weekend each taking about 9 hours to complete, but it purged the workflow history completely.   In production since we have a larger amount of rows, I changed the Information management policy to only expire older than 270 days (which is approximately half the rows so similar to the development count) and we let it roll over the weekend,   Looking at the job status it has been kicking off every 12 hours and going into a "Paused" state, while the current instance is in a Running state.  It says I is 25% done and I have no problem continuing to let it run, just looking to see if this is an expected behavior based on the situation.   Should I Have modified the list view threshold for this web app?  Should I have done anything different to counter the large row count?

Thanks for all replies!

Jay

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Jason,

It seems the issue is results by large number of items.

The “Information management policy” timer job forces the policy’s formula to evaluate to determine if the items have expired, and the “Expiration policy” timer job kicks off the policy’s expiration action for those items marked as expired by the fist timer job.

Run the "Expiration policy" job manually to see whether there are 25% items been deleted.

From the similar issue post, as an alternative choice, writing a console application that deletes the items from the Workflow History list, and then deletes them from the Recycle Bin: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/CleanWorkflowHistory

Besides, Check the ULS log to determine the exact cause of the error. ULS log is at:      
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 13, 2015 2:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Do you mean the "information management policy timer job" or the "Expiration policy timer job" kicking off every 12 hours and going into a "Paused" state?

Please run the paused timer job again and compare whether the workflow history list have been purged?

Similar issue post for your reference:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/69491/expiration-timer-job-only-does-half-the-job

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Yes I do mean the information management policy timer job it looks sort of like this... It's now been at 25% since the initial run on Saturday.   I don't think the Expiration policy timer job is going to do what it needs to do until this one finishes marking the items in the list expired or something

Running

Job Title         Server      Progress       Status       Started

Information management policy    sp-app03     25%    <bar>     Running     11/11/2015 8:00 PM

Job Title        Server     Web Application     Duration     Status       Completed

Information management policy       sp-app03    eWebApp2       11:59:45  Paused    11/11/2015 8:00 PM

Information management policy       sp-app03    eWebApp2       11:59:51  Paused    11/11/2015 8:00 AM

Information management policy       sp-app03    eWebApp2       11:59:46  Paused    11/10/2015 8:00 PM

Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:03 PM
  • Hi Jason,

It seems the issue is results by large number of items.

The “Information management policy” timer job forces the policy’s formula to evaluate to determine if the items have expired, and the “Expiration policy” timer job kicks off the policy’s expiration action for those items marked as expired by the fist timer job.

Run the "Expiration policy" job manually to see whether there are 25% items been deleted.

From the similar issue post, as an alternative choice, writing a console application that deletes the items from the Workflow History list, and then deletes them from the Recycle Bin: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/CleanWorkflowHistory

Besides, Check the ULS log to determine the exact cause of the error. ULS log is at:      
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Friday, November 13, 2015 2:15 AM
  • I did have to run that tool manually till I got the list under a million rows .. Once that happened the expire job and they IM Policy job started processing it properly.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post!

Monday, November 30, 2015 1:54 PM