none
Project Server 2007 sp 1 - strange & random errors in the application since the past few weeks? RRS feed

• Question

• Since the past few weeks several users have got random errors while using the application -

1) for 1 administrator,

in Project professional, the application fails to open using the usual URL and account.
    Error message
    "Project was not able to connect to Project Server because of the following error:

Connection time out."

Publish is also disabled at these times

But, this problem occasionally disappears Without any changes

Clearing the cache sometimes seems to help (not sure)

2) 2 users face a problem in filling their timesheets, but only on some days

When they click "Save" they see the message "While communicating with the Project Server an error occured.Check connectivity with your administrator to determine if further action is necessary"
    When they use "Save & Submit" instead of Save it works.

3) While accessing timesheet review 2 users (administrators) get System.outofmemoryexception
    Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint services

Again this works on and off. Without any changes made.

Any possible changes in the servers or machines that could cause such errors?

It looks like they're related errors maybe having a common cause.

Anything I can do to fix them or reduce possibility of such errors? Like Clearing the cache ? (done already but along those lines)

All the machines get a weekly update on their antiviruses, one of these errors also showed an antivirus error in the event viewer. Which may be related.

Other than this, nothing in the error logs, (undefined errors at the most)

thanks

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1) This might have something to do with your antivirus. Make sure that your antivirus and/or firewall is not blocking any traffic from any client to the server and traffic between your servers!

2) I have seen this problem before. Update your project clients and project server to the latest service pack (SP2) and Cumulative Update (CU August 2010). There have been some major problems and bugs before SP2 which have been fixed by now, so I recommend to plan for this update asap.

3) Haven't seen this one before. Is your server running low on memory? How much memory do your servers have? Do they meet the minimum requirements?

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:10 AM