none
Server 2012 (Not R2) Event ID 157 RRS feed

• Question

•     Hi Everyone, I am running Server 2012, (Not R2) and I have been using hot swap removable esata drives for backups.

(Rotated every day 5 days)

This has always worked just fine, (about 3 years)  when I would remove them, I would see a Event ID 157 in logs and just ignore. (disk 0 surprised removed)

Now at I am starting to see an actual Pop Up Info Screen that says: (Showing Pic from Internet)

windows-detected-hard-disk-problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk.

Which disk is failing? 
    The following hard disks are reporting failure:
    Disk Name: ST310005 28AS SCSI Disk Device    (MY Actual Backup Drive)
    Volume: Unknown

The drives are not failing, the backup work just fine, this just started, seems to be after one of the MS updates, but really not sure, other than it has just started not more that a week ago.

Has anyone else had this problem?, can I just select Don't ask me about this problem again?

Thank You in Advance!

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi wolverine,

Please keep monitoring your backup. Check the event viewer if there's any other error/events.

And to rule out if it is related to the updates, maybe you could check the recently windows updates try uninstall one by one to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by wolverine1994 Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:50 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know, the errors 157 can  be caused by a disk that fails, or when a user unplugs a disk while the system is running.  An administrator that sees these errors needs to verify the heath of the disk subsystem.

In your scenario, the disk status of the volume is reported unknown, based on my knowledge, the Unknown status volume is usually corrupted and we could no longer access data on the volume.

And  please test to run a CHKDSK /F /R in elevated command prompt to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:22 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply, the pop up is what has just started.

I have ran Chkdsk, restored files & backups are still ongoing, no errors on anything.

This really looks like it has been caused by something else (some update???).

I can't prove it, but I will be cautiously optimistic that I can ignore the error.

Thank You again.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:58 PM
  • Hi wolverine,

Please keep monitoring your backup. Check the event viewer if there's any other error/events.

And to rule out if it is related to the updates, maybe you could check the recently windows updates try uninstall one by one to do a check.

Best Regards,

Mary

• Marked as answer by wolverine1994 Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:50 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:30 AM
  •          Will Do, thank you again.

Wolverine

Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:51 PM