Disable Aero in Group Policy without reverting to Windows Classic RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Windows Aero is causing some graphics driver problems on our network, for performance reasons we would like to disable it using group policy, our preferred theme would be the High contrast theme: "Windows 7 Basic" however when I try to specify this theme, I seem to get windows 7 classic. Please help. I don't want to roll out windows 7 looking like windows 2000 as staff will complain. Please advise if there is an easier way to disable Aero desktop permanently using GPO?

Server: Windows Server 2008 R2

Clients: Windows 7 64bit Professional

• Edited by Daniel Law Monday, October 3, 2011 3:27 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To do so, we will use the following two Group Policies and load the basic.theme file in %windir%\Resources\Ease of Access Themes folder:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Prevent changing theme

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Load a specific theme

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Group Policy Settings for Personalization

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617164(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Law Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:01 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To do so, we will use the following two Group Policies and load the basic.theme file in %windir%\Resources\Ease of Access Themes folder:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Prevent changing theme

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Load a specific theme

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Group Policy Settings for Personalization

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617164(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Law Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:01 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thanks for your help, I had tested this previously and thought it didn't work until I created a new profile.

So this solution works for new users logging on to the machine whilst creating a new profile but not for users with pre existing roaming profiles.

I'm unsure if there is a way to override this and force the setting further.

Dan.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:01 PM