Recording options is not available in Volume Control Properties though recording works. RRS feed

• Question

• Though the XP system has a microphone connected and the microphone works.  So is the recording.  Having the "Volume Control" opend, somehow the title is called "Master Volume" not the usual "Volume Control" as I see on other XP systems.

The Options Properties has the Recording option dimmed out and disabled.  No "Microphone" option is available under "Show the following volume controls:".

The "Advanced Controls" under "Options" is dimmed out and disabled as well.

What could have caused all these differences?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:12 AM

All replies

• Did u check option=>Properties=> Mixer Device ?

did u check Control Panael=>Sound=>Audio and Voice Tab ?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:01 AM
  • I did.  What am I looking for?  They look usual as other normal XP systems to me.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:01 AM
  • it seems is varry to sound card manufacture,see below difference Master Volume and Volume Control and see the manufacture name.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Are you saying it is normal to have what I have, not showing the microphone at all, showing Master volume instead of Volume Control?

Below are the screen captures of what I have with the so-called Master Volume.

Microphone is no where to be seen and Advanced Controls are not available.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:31 AM
  • This is what I get from the Sounds and Audio Devices on the Control Panel.

It looks like it does detect the microphone.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Hi

The screenshot i had shared is to sho wthe different available options depending upon manufacturer.

Now as the screen shot you had shared it says that Realtek audio input is there.

As i told abbove did u check under "Mixer device" normaly audio input should be there and when u select it u can will able to get the Mic control window.

Also ,What exactly u looking for, the cause of difference ?.Is you mic works when u trying to record via windows recoding utility?

Shantanu

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:03 AM
  • As you could see and as I said above, under the Mixer device there is no microphone.  So I can't change the volume there.

On the Recording Control however we can see the Recording and the Mic Volume.  What is the difference between them?  When we adjust the Mic Volume, are we adjusting the Recording volume?  Also the sliders on CD Volume, Mic Volume, Line Volume and Stereo Mix are not adjustable though they can be muted individually.  That is they are disabled but not dimmed out.  Their operations are quite different from what I usually experience.

What I am exactly looking for is anomaly?  It took me a while for me to get the microphone working by trial and error as these setups are quite different from what I usually see.  So I wonder if there is something wrong with the computer or the audio components or the configuration.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:26 AM