Browser Choice RRS feed

• Question

• Just logged onto my main system & found a half screen size page stating that IE has been unpinned from the taskbar.  Ensure that you are connected to the Internet before continuing.

On clicking continue, a choice of web browsers pop up requesting that you choose one.

My question is.."Why did this crop up now?".  This is the 2nd time that this has happened.  I made my choice when it 1st cropped up, so why is it happening again?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:13 AM

Answers

• Not sure why it should re-appear, but assuming you are talking about the new browser check then this can be disabled by adding the following registry setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BrowserChoice]
    "Enable"=dword:00000000

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:33 AM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi Sirius B,

When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software?

Please perform a scan using anti-virus and anti-spyware software to see if there is any suspicious files. If the issue persists, please check if there is any third party internet browser installed. If so, temporary uninstall it to check the result.

If the issue reoccurs, could you please capture some screenshots of the message pops up?

1. Please reproduce this issue, and then press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

6. Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let us know the link.

For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Linda

Friday, April 9, 2010 8:04 AM

All replies

• Not sure why it should re-appear, but assuming you are talking about the new browser check then this can be disabled by adding the following registry setting:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BrowserChoice]
    "Enable"=dword:00000000

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi Sirius B,

When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software?

Please perform a scan using anti-virus and anti-spyware software to see if there is any suspicious files. If the issue persists, please check if there is any third party internet browser installed. If so, temporary uninstall it to check the result.

If the issue reoccurs, could you please capture some screenshots of the message pops up?

1. Please reproduce this issue, and then press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

6. Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and let us know the link.

For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Linda

Friday, April 9, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Hi Linda, sorry for delay in replying, been very busy.

No new software installed on that system for nearly 3 months. antivirus/spyware ran with no problems found.

It 1st cropped up in November, approx 3 months after I upgraded to Win 7 Professional.  Expected something like this after reading about the EU requirements.

Made my choice then, IE8 which I am happy with.  As choice was made, did not expect it to occur anymore.  Should it occur again, will follow your instructions.

@Simonpa, thanks for that info.  Will set that up after the next occurance (believe this will happen again in approx 90 days as Windows Activation has done the same).

Friday, April 9, 2010 6:40 PM