Vista x64 (huge) perfomance issues on a high-end PC RRS feed

• Question

•  

I recently got an HP d5000t (Pentium Quad Q9300/2,5 GHz, 4 Gb memory, 750 Gb HD etc..) with Vista 64 and it has a perfomance index of 5.9. At first all my installed programs used to have top perfomance, as expected. But after a week, my Vista was too slow to boot (7 minutes...instead of its usual 50 secs) and suddenly all the programs were sluggish if not, hardly responding at all. After spending a day having all the hardware tested, which proved that hardware-wise my computer was still fine, i used the Recovery Manager and set up  a previous date for recovery. That was it, all problems were solved. I thought that was a one time only problem and went on. Unfortunately, after a week i have the same problem again. Slow boot, extremely slow perfomance etc.. I am now trying to restore it to a previous date, but i would really like to know what is causing this problem and how i could apply a permanent solution..

Part II

I finally restored it to factory settings and Index went back to 5.9 as well. Problem is it worked fine only for a couple of weeks... For no obvious reason it has the same problems again.. One thing i noticed..HD seems to be working too much (can hear it actually while normally its pretty noiseless). Most probably will contact HP.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 5:05 AM

Answers

• I posted about a month ago that my M8532f was having the problem recurring every Saturday evening. I did the recommended firmware update too and haven't had a slowdown either in almost a month now. However, I doubt that one month is enough time to judge whether we've found a valid fix.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hey Tercio,
    I recently purchased a similar HP d5000t system (Quad 9450 @ 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD). Essentially the same, heh. Anyway, I am having similar problems. I did a system restore and now it runs just as bad as it used to. I don't know about you, but when I first bought my computer, my Windows Experience Index was at 5.9 across the board. After the reformat and reinstall, my HD is at 2.1. I, like you am seeking an answer, however I think I found something that might benefit us both at http://forums.legitreviews.com/about9974.html. I have yet to try out the suggestions but if this doesnt solve our issues, I would appreciate some more feedback about our problems regardless. Good luck.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Saw the suggestions but its not only boot and shut down. Programs take a long time to run as well if not at all.. Only factory settings seem to work but only for a couple of weeks..

Friday, August 8, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I have EXACTLY the same issue:
    HP Pavilion
    m9350f
    Vista 64
    AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core
    6 GB ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT

It runs super fast for a week, then slows to a crawl. I've tried uninstalling damn near every piece of software on it to see if anything helps, and nothing does. I even tried not installing ANYTHING for a week (leaving the system exactly as from the factory), and that didn't work, either.

In the past 5 weeks, I've reinstalled the OS 4 TIMES! Each time, everything runs great for a week, then slows to a crawl.

I've noticed that the problem always happens on Saturdays (this has been true every week except last week, when I didn't get the slowdown at all), so I checked the Task Scheduler, but there nothing there (that I can find, anyway) that is triggering the problem. It may just be coincidence that it always starts on Saturdays.

I also noticed that I get the pop-up for Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program sometime shortly after the slowdown begins. I deleted that entry from the Task Scheduler, but it didn't help.

Last night (another Saturday!) it slowed down again, and I've tried (AGAIN!) uninstalling everything, but to no avail. I'm tired of reinstalling the OS every week on a brand new machine! Unfortunately, the warranty only covered it for 2 weeks, so I can't even return it.

Next stop: HP support.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Notice: I wrote a very detailed answer before but my laptop crashed before i finished it (its on Win XP not Vista ) so, in short:

Run a CHKDSK on your hard drive. Thats all.

Worked for me last time (a week ago) when i was ready for restoration (again) to factory settings.

Be warned though, if your hard drive is really messed up like mine was, CHKDSK will need about 3-4 hrs...........

If not, its about 5 mins (thats how much it needs now after it fixed my comp).

Side Note

I have the same graphics card as you do and had some crashes where i needed to turn-off (hard) my PC. Seems the Vista file system cant handle that or auto-repair them (old Win XP wasnt so sensitive). Still looking for the cause of the problem.

Good luck (btw its been a week since my PC "looks" to work fine with this method. Hope it keeps up the good work)

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for the advice! HP support wasn't helpful, so I reinstalled the operating system (yet again) yesterday. On the bright side, it went very quickly because I now have a great big folder of all my necessary app installers ready to go.

I also used my head this time and immediately created a restore point as soon as I had all the crapware deleted and all my preferred software installed. Previously, I never had the option of restoring to an earlier point, because no restore point had been automatically created (because the computer wasn't operating for long enough).

Next time I have the slowdown, I'll try
    CHKDSK, and if that doesn't work, a system restore. I'll post here with updates.

Thank you again -- knowing that someone else has the same issue has been very helpful.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 8:52 PM
  •  

I've had the exact same experience with my m9350f. HP support has been particuarly useless, even for foreign call center support. I've also noticed the dip in the hard disk data transfer rate rating (Windows Experience Rating) with SOME but not all of the slowdowns (currently on number 5). I haven't tried the CHKDSK yet, but my last slowdown was solved by running a program called Advanced WindowsCare 3 Beta (recommended by HP).

I had hoped that scheduling this program to run reguarly as a preemptive measure would keep this issue from returning, but it has not.

The section of the program that seems to solve the problem is the defrag, again pointing to a hard drive issue.

If anyone stumbles upon a long term solution please do post back. I am planning to sacrifice another 4 hours of my life on the phone to HP this weekend so hopefully this will get answered.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:56 PM
  • When i begun this thread, some time ago, i thought i was alone in this world that had this problem.

I tried to find a thread describing this problem (and a solution of course!!) but couldnt find any.

Now i noticed that i m not alone and (very important) only HP Computers have these problems (so far). Since this a Vista forum i would expect people with different hardware than HP to show up but noone has so far.

I can't pinpoint yet why this happen. Maybe some of the HP installed tools?

Anyway, i had the same problems with HP support (the second time i waited 1 hr then i resigned-though first time a very helpful assistan spend an hour with me trying to find a solution. Problem is he couldnt find any and suggested spyware-virus which isnt correct. Guess when we dont know whats wrong those two are an easy explanation).

Second thing i noticed is that hard disk transfer rate suffers. Mine was 7-9 average length time. Funny thing windows index was still at 5.9 even when my IE needed 5 mins to start!!

Its been 2 weeks now that my comp works fine (crosses fingers) after the chkdsk solution (which i run now and then just in case).

Still wondering what is the root of the problem.

Hope someone in HP reads this thread and looks a bit more into this.

Good luck all.

Side Note

One user had NVIDIA 9800 GTX installed. Anyone else? Cause i have some occasional crashes from driver and wonder if that ruins the file system...

Saturday, September 6, 2008 3:50 AM
  • (Writing from my linux laptop that NEVER has problems...)

Well, I had the slowdown again last night. I tried CHDSK, but after 15 hours, it was still only 15% done and seemed to be getting even slower. I can't do anything on the computer now, including get to the restore points that I made. The recovery manager claims that there aren't any (although I made 2 in the past week). No programs will run.

So now I'm doing yet another system restore (6th one in six weeks). When that's over, I'll send emails to HP and Microsoft begging them for a copy of XP so I can replace the nightmare that has been Vista. I've never been so frustrated by a computer. I keep 300  Gateway XP computers running for a living, and can't imagine what the problem is. Each time I think I see a pattern that might be causing it, something different happens.

BTW- one of the first things I tried was updating the drivers on the nvidia card -- didn't help. I think if that were the problem, lots more people would be having this same issues.

If I didn't mainly use the computer as a DVR, I'd just install linux. But I'm not confident that, given this new hardware, drivers will be available for everything I'd need.

We'll see what happens.
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  

Sorry to hear about that.

Unfortunately my own PC begun the same story again.

My joy lasted only 2 weeks. Even chkdsk or restoration to a previous point doesnt work now. I m writing this answer  in a sluggish (theoritically high end) HP computer i hate. Spent 3 months and the problems are still there.

Will just turn it off and use my old Win XP computer who had no such problems. I could never imagine myself praising Win XP.....

I ll just ask HP instructions how to ship it back...now if i can somehow get in touch with them...last time after waiting an hour on the phone i lost my patience...

By the way what hard drive you have?

Mine is ST3750630AS 700Gbytes.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 3:47 AM
  • I've had this PC (m9350f) for about 2 months now with the EXACT same problem you guys are mentioning. I've troubleshooted the problem down to the motherboard I believe, I too initially believed that it might hae been a bad HDD so I swapped the same HDD onto my gaming rig and used it for a whole 2 weeks (my problem was generally happening every week or so) and have yet to see even a minor slowdown.

I then paid a quick visit to the Asus website which ironically has no recollection of any Viola motherboard yay HP go proprietary part. I even sent a few e-mails to Asus which then confirmed this by stating they did make the part but only sold it to HP and only for this model. They have no idea what might be wrong but I didn't feel like going into another troubleshooting session and being asked the same stuff over and over again, not to mention they sent me back to the wolves for support (HP).

Here is what I'm going to do, it's not the cheapest route but I'm actually going to gut the system and upgrade 3 main components to see if that solves it. I will be upgrading the motherboard, the powersupply which to me seems weak especially for a 9800GT and the case (awefully cluttered in there and bad airflow). All in all it's going to cost me about 235 bucks to get this done but at least that price isn't too bad (thanks Newegg!), I'll report back if my suspicions are correct I'll see the true power of that 9850 Phemon and possibly save me the weekly reformatting headache. I'll definatly let you guys know what happens but right now I'm 99% sure it's the Motherboard, we'll see. I realize I'll get no support but thats fine with me I'll also install XP which gives me a BSOD when tring to install on the orginal unit's hardware and Vista which tells me it needs sata drivers, I bet I just might be able to install both without major problems, again we'll see when the parts arrive.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:14 AM
  • I have been having the exact same problem for the past 3 months.  In the beginning, it only happened once a week on the weekends, but lately, it has been happening 2 to 3 times per week.

My build: HP d5000t, Quad 9550 (2.83GHz), 4GB, 750GB HD, 9800GT, Vista 64

I have called HP about this about every 2 weeks.  They always suggest a restore, which I refuse to do, and so they blow me off claiming that they have done all they could do.  They did offer to let me pay about $60 for help from their 2nd line of support, but that group handles removal of virus/spyware and drive cleanup, and they would be useless since I don't have those problems.

Here is a summary of the actions I have taken to correct the problem:

1. System recovery to a previous state. - The end result of the first call I made to HP.  After 6 hours, the support person and I ended the call as the recovery was in progress.  When it was done, all was fine.  Repeated this 1 week later and it also fixed the problem.

2. Full Hard Drive Test using the Hardware Diagnostic Tools - The end result of my second call to HP.  Call was ended while a 3 hour disk scan was in progress.  When it was done, all was well with no reboot.  Repeated this 1 week later and it fixed the problem that time too.

3. Booted into safe mode - Did this while on another call to HP.  Boot, as usual, took 10 minutes or so, but as I sat in safe mode talking to HP, the problem vanished on its own.  I did try this again the time after that one, but I booted into safe mode and let it sit for an hour, but I think when I returned, the subsequent boot was still long and the problem was still there.

4. This procedure was found on another forum where someone claimed similar problems.  It worked for them at that tiime.

4a. Open Services (Start>Run: "Services.msc") and stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.  This closes the files in the C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository folder so that they can be deleted.

4b. Make a copy of those files if you want, but then delete those files.

4c. Reboot twice.

This has worked for me at least once, but I have seen it not help at other times.  I am simply relaying my experience with this method.  Another observation, I have seen the files recreate themselves and the service restart itself before rebooting.  It probably had something to do with me running something like Norton Security.

5. Shutdown PC and let it sit for about an hour.  This has worked once.  The last time I tried it, I only let it sit for about 30 minutes.  It rebooted with the same problem, but the problem went away on its own after another 30 minutes or so of just sitting booted up.

I have found various forums where this problem is mentioned.  Usually when I use a different combination of google search strings.  Like a search for 'Vista 64 slow' with an app or the video card (C&C3, VMWare, 9800, etc.)  The common thread seems to be Vista 64.  The video cards listed here are assorted.  I have also seen the problem start, more than half of the time, either while or immediately after using graphic intensive games or apps.

I hope this helps someone pinpoint the problem!  Please keep us posted.  I plan to use this thread next time I contact HP.

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:34 PM
  • While my computer runs "almost" well now, randomly i m still experiencing the same problems.

Didnt have to restore yet though.

I contacted HP and they promised to send me a new HD to try. Dont have high expectation though.

I still have no idea what might cause it but i strongly suspect hardware now.

The nature of the problem (random), plus that only HP users with almost the same configuration are in this forum thread.

But on the other hand HP sells thousands of computers and some friends have the same computer with no problems..

If the new HD doesnt work i ll ship the whole pc back..

Good luck to all.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Well heres a follow up on my previous post. So far I upgraded the stuff I told you guys about on my previous post and havent had a single problem. Matter of a fact my load times are greatly reduced, I also see the PC encoding files much faster now.

The motherboard I went with was a
    ASUS M3N78-VM so far it's been amazing, I'm still not 100% sure it was the motherboard's fault since I havent yet broken the 2 week mark but I sure am seeing some hudge speed ups and no slow down problems so far, if it doesn't slow down in the next couple of days it's guaranteed to be a motherboard problem since I'm still using the same HDD that had the problem.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Well, I ran that Advanced Windows Care 3 Beta that someone earlier suggested, and it worked. The defrag fixed my problem, which is strange because when I ran defrag on its own it didn't help.

I also got the following suggestion from HP support:

You can also try downloading and installing the BIOS update for your PC.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL24178/pv-62411-1/sp37533.exe

Installation Instructions :

1. Click the Download Only button.
    2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
    3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
    4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
    5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
    6. Follow on-screen instructions.
    7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

It's only been 6 days so far, so I don't know if this will solve the problem or not, but I'll post here in a week or so either way.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I also have the HP Elite m9350f

nvidia 9800gt
    750gb hd
    shitty no name MB
    tv tuner

I thought i was all alone out there.  I bought it at best buy without the extra warranty, thinking to myself i can trust HP to give me a solid product. i havent bothered to get on the phone yet with anyone. i might try best buy see what they say. if anyone else has been having troubles with this comp. i agree with latinprince that its prob the MB. i thought it was the HD at first but it doesnt make sense.
    this is retarded having to reformat and restore every damn week. i dont like the idea that i paid 1500$ for this and will have to put another 100$+ to fix a brand new comp. ive only had this for about a month. seems as though it is every week that it screws up and becomes horribly slow.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which road to take? should i bother with bestbuy and hp on the phone? this comp is tech under manufacture waranty for a year. appreciate all the info.

chris
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Wow, I feel lucky that my m9650f screwed up it's RAID configuration within the first 24 hours rendering it unable to boot.  Sounds like i may have saved myself the extended torture of tech support calls and constant rebuilding that you have all gone through.  I think I'm going to follow a similar approach to LatinPrince131 and gut what i have to rebuild new.  LatinPrince - are you still happy with the ASUS motherboard?  Do you have any recommendations for the other components?  This will be my first time building from scratch so any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:06 AM
  • For an HTPC that motherboard is rather good, the purpose of my PC wasn't gaming or anything so I didn't go with anything fancy like XFire or SLI but that motherboard is rock solid. I put my m9350f in the closet (yes, I know sounds weird) I installed 3 additional cablecard tuners and replaced the motherboard, power supply and case. I use it to stream live TV and video on demand via Media Center AddOns to 4 different extenders, so far so good, I believe the problem lied within the motherboard but make sure you run an extensive HDD test and do a slow complete reformat they made a mess of the original HDD. As far as components it really depends on what you intend to do with the PC.
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  I'll likely go with the same configuration since it sounds like it's working great for you.  Wish me luck with my first custom build.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  :--)

Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  

to latinprince, you said you had to do a slow reformat of the HDD. Is this necessar? Could i just take out the HP Seagate HDD and attach it to a new motherboard without problems? Iam not sure about all this. please help me out as you seem to have resolve this issue in a sence.

thanks!

Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Chris, although the main reason for the slowdowns I believe to be from the sata connections on the motherboard I honestly think a reformat is absolutly nesseary, Consider that HP added to the problem by installing all of it's own junk software and 3rd party software, on top of that doing a chkdsk to check for problems on my HDD revealed it was hardly in good shape. My suggestion reformat > install a fresh copy of Vista x64 and remember to defrag your HDDs regularly. This will keep your PC crash free and in good shape.

Larry & Chris, also consider that your OEM Vistax64 OS is tied to your motherboard, do have a fresh copy of Vista ready? Because your original OS will not install on another motherboard, I mean it will but you have 30 days to upgrade and will add the same junk HP packed in there slowing you down adding garbage software to the registry and startup. Good luck with your first build by the way Larry, take it slow and easy should be a breeze. If you guys are going to replace the motherboard remember it must be a microATX motherboard or your motherboard will not fit in that case, the Asus I recommended should fit just fine but I hated all the cables and clutter in there so I replaced the case as well if you are going to replace the case and need some suggestions let me know but if you do look for a full ATX tower they generally allow for better airflow and have more vents and room for cooling devices fans, etc...
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:12 PM
  • ok considering iam not about to pay another 200$ for a vista that i already have, if i just put that HDD on a new motherboard, reformat, uninstall all the HP crapware, would that work? also, is there no way of proving this to HP that there is an issue about the sata connections on the motherboard?

i noticed something as well. i was taking a look that the windows experience index menu and noticed it dropped down from 5.9 to 2.1 . when i went it it was because of the hard disk. its score had fallen to 2.1 .

i would much happier to have hp deal with this but not sure how to go about it since ive already tried to deal with them and that lead to going no where.

if this is a sata connection issue, is it just us few ppl who bought this computer?

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:23 AM
  • ok considering iam not about to pay another 200$ for a vista that i already have, if i just put that HDD on a new motherboard, reformat, uninstall all the HP crapware, would that work? also, is there no way of proving this to HP that there is an issue about the sata connections on the motherboard?

i noticed something as well. i was taking a look that the windows experience index menu and noticed it dropped down from 5.9 to 2.1 . when i went it it was because of the hard disk. its score had fallen to 2.1 .

i would much happier to have hp deal with this but not sure how to go about it since ive already tried to deal with them and that lead to going no where.

if this is a sata connection issue, is it just us few ppl who bought this computer?

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Well, this thread's now been hijacked well beyond the original problem, but for those experiencing the weekly slowdown-requiring-OS-reinstall, I thought I'd post an update: I've now been slowdown-free for over 2 weeks -- by far the longest since I bought the computer. Since I haven't done anything differently, I'm assuming it was the BIOS update (see my last post). We'll see if this holds out.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 4:47 PM
  • in reply to xmichaelx, i too did the bios update and iam still having the problem. strangely i found that never turning it off works. last time i booted it was yesterday and it began the slowdowns again. so i left it on overnight and to my surprise in the mourning it was working great.

my windows experience rating is still 2.1 because of the hard drive data transfer rate.

iam going to try and return this to hp hoping that this issue is mainly due to the fact that it is a lemon. aka (that 1/1000 crappy one).

Monday, September 29, 2008 8:50 PM
  • I too have a HP m9350f and am experiencing the same issues as everybody else.

Every week it starts slowing down to a crawl and hard drive light is constantly on.

Seagate hard drives are some of the best so I kind of ruled that out.

What I think it is, is a power supply and motherboard issue.

The power supply in this is only 460 watts. To me that is way to small to run this hardware.

I too plan on replacing the power supply (to a 850 watt), motherboard and case.

I have already put in a pci slot fan and replaced the 90 mm case fan and it runs alot cooler (it was running way to hot).

The orginal case fan is joke and does'nt pull out any hot air.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:19 PM
  • I m still watching this thread since my original problem is still there, though much diminished now (i ll explain why).

Like most of the people here i suspect a hardware issue.

I contacted HP and they will send me a replacement Hard Drive (for no cost if i send the old one back).

But i doubt its the HD fault.

Most probably is the SATA controller since its the transfer rate that suffers. Power supply is a candidate as well because of 9800GTX power requirements (I wonder if all have the same video card).

On the other hand i can handle this problem more or less now (when it occurs once per weekStick out tongue) by:

CHKDSK/Defrag

Registry Cleaning tools.

I have also updated BIOS and unistalled Norton (didnt really help much in prevention but helps in temporary solution).

I have also turned off sleep mode.

That doesnt mean that the problem doesnt occur. Means that after i apply the above mentioned measures i fix it and works pretty well after (i didnt have to do  restore for a whole month!!)

My theory: A hardware error (SATA, Power Supply, memory, HD, Global Warming..Stick out tongue) causes the data on the HD to accumulate errors.

Temporary solution: When that happens (in my case i can hear it, HD works like a steam engine) PC must be turned off as soon as possible and apply CHKSDK/Defrag/Registry Clean to avoid more data being stored on HD incorrectly. Having Norton off helps to accumulate a bit less errors and slowly-very slowly navigate through the CHKDSK procedure (You know what i mean, waiting 5 mins for C drive properties to come up).

Permanent Solution: No idea. Probably i will send the whole PC back to HP. It was very expensive to begin with and i dont want to pay extra for motherboard or power supply.

Good Luck everyone.

PS

When i contacted HP i tried to inform them that this failure didnt occur to me only but many other HP users as well and sent them (many times) this thread. So far they skip the issue. Any idea how we can make them admit there is something really wrong with some of their "high end" PCs?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:06 PM
  •  

Show them this thread!!!

I can think of a few possible problems and there are all hardware related.

1. Power Supply. This is my main concern, a 460 watt is way to small, this computer needs at least a 600 watt supply. I'm putting in a 850 watt.

2. Cooling problems, the case gets HOT.

They need to redesign there cases, the power supply at the top is no good, heat rises and stays there.  Do not add vent holes on the right side (like this one has) and put a fan port at the top of the case.  This needs better cooling fans, maybe even make a clear side case with a 250mm fan. And a little cable management.  Look at Antec or Thermaltake cases there alot better.

3. Motherboard Issues. ASUS motherboards are excellent but not sure about this one.

4. SATA issue

5. Possibly even lose wires or connectors.

HP put alot of nice commponents in this but it lacking with the power supply and case.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:52 PM
  • to kr4ey. did u show them this thread?

if so what did they say>?

where did you hear about the roumor of the m9250f were being discontinued?
     did you hear this about the m9350f also?

any suggestions as to what exactly say to them in regards to getting them to realize all this?

very apprieciated!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:00 PM
  •  

I have not shown them this thread, I kind of gave up on HP support.

I am not sure about the m9250f that's why I edited it out. And I have not heard anything about the m9350f.

I have no suggestions but the probable issues are the power supply, cooling and SATA problems, at least that's what I think.

Its getting them to realize this, thats going to be the problem.

I'm getting a new power supply and case to start with and see how it goes. And I'll update this thread if anything changes.

I did update my BIOS today, but not sure if that will fix it.

The HP Update software did not detect the new BIOS version. The installed version was 5.22 and the updated version is 5.24.

I have the HP m9350f

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:34 PM
  • everyone having these same troubles with the m9350f hp elite, contact hp, explain to them the issue, show them this thread.

i did so and i will be sending my entire comp.

there going to replace my Mothardboard, HDD and possibly upgrade my Power Supply to one with more Watts.

give it a shot. there is an apperently manufacturing flaw here and its covered by the waranty.

be patient with them and they will help.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:38 AM
  • I have also started a thread about this at the HP Forums since I think this is more of a hardware issue.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1274730

Let's see how many respond.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:11 PM
  •  

LatinPrince131

Just wondering if you are still having problems with your rebuilt m9350f?

And what parts you replaced.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:12 AM
  • Still running without a problem at all I replaced motherboard, case (this is optional), and power supply which I feel was very weak. No problems here. I sort of hijacked the thread earlier so I just havent posted any updates.
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 12:08 PM
  •  

OK thank you. At least its working good for you. Seems like there are alot of people with this problem on the HP Forums.

I thought it may be the PSU or motherboard.

Minimum system requirements for the Nvidia 9800 GT is 400 watts, and there is only a 460 watt power supply in this from the factory.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:08 PM
  • It's not about the 460w it could be 1000w and still do a poor job, just look at the 12v rails on the factory PSU. Not to mention HP is notorious for shippong new PCs with unpowered power suppies.

EDIT: Want a good affordable PSU look for the Antec Earthwatts series on newegg.com They get the job done and dome are on sale at the moment I would recommend 450w or better, again it's not about the wattage but those power supplies have multiple 12v rails and the quality is excellent.
    Saturday, October 4, 2008 2:22 PM
  • I haven't looked closely at the power supply, I will when I get my new case fan.

Antec is excellent, but I like the Thermaltake Armor series case and there power supplies.

I probably end up getting the 850 watt PSU and the newest ASUS motherboard.

I can see I'll end up spending about the same or more for the custom build I was going to buy at Motherboards Direct.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  

Hi all.  I too have a high-end HP PC [HP d5000t 2.66GHz Q9450 Quad-core CPU, Vista x64, 4GB RAM, 750GB HD, nVidia 9800GT (w/1GB VRAM)] and experience dramatic slow-down issues every couple of weeks or so.  The PC was purchased through Costko and delivered around the 1st of July'08.  In searching the web I came across this thread.

One work-around I did find that helps me is to flush out the Prefetch cache.

Once the slow-down hits, if I just try to do a shutdown or reset, it can take almost 20 minutes easy before I regain complete control of the PC.  But if I go to C:\Windows\Prefetch and delete everything EXCEPT the Readyboot subdirectory before rebooting, the PC will usually shutdown in seconds and and then I can reboot within 2 minutes.  Granted, I do take a performance hit (slow response the first time I open an app, etc) for a short while after rebooting , but it beats the heck out of a slow PC and/or 20 minutes to reboot! 

Apparently, at least on my PC, something in the Prefetch cache gets corrupted every so often.  Flushing the cache and forcing Vista to rebuild it seems to help.  Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Monday, October 6, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Ok I have a 9350f that failed 3 days after getting it.  Same thing, drive went to 2.1 in vista's exeperience rating.  I thought that because the machine was so hot inside that it fried the drive, so I went and got one at best buy, put it in and it's been fine ever since.  Then I got online and saw the threads about others.  So I called HP to get a replacement and they wanted me to run ten days worth of tests, lol.  Anyway, they just called me back and here's the fix for those who restored but their drive is still slow.

Stick disc 1 of your 3 disk recovery set, hopefully you made one of these.  When you see the blank screen and flashing curser press cntrl+bkspace a few times, and a hidden manufacturers menu comes up.

1.  Erase partition info, do this and then reboot go back to this menu as above.

2.  Remove MBR, do this option and reboot ti and go back to this menu.

(remember to reboot don't let it load windows after doing the above options)

3.  Wipe drive sector by sector.  This zeroes the drive and makes it new again.  This is why it passes allt he SMART tests.  It has corrupted sectors which won't show up in those tests.

Viola your back in business.  Of course this doesn't solve why it happened in the first place.

Nvidia has new drivers when you recover this last time go update your nforce drivers.  don't install the video one as thats for the 8200 on board ***.  Then go back and install the newest video card driver.  Your performance goes up remarkably and who knows this might keep it from corrupting again.  I hadn't done this before I lost the 750gb on whateve weirdness is going on.  The 1tb I bought works like a champ.  I was going to buy a 2nd drive anyway so this isn't a big deal to me so far.  The next time it corrupts a disk however, it's going back to them.  I also bought a squaretrade 1 year extended warranty so if HP doesn't get it done in the next 90 days I'll have squaretrade refund me my purchase price.  I bought a refurb one off ecost for 659 and paid 39.00 for a warranty with a 40% discount coupon.

Cheers !

Monday, October 6, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Only one problem there mate, the HDD is the one thing that doesn't need fixing, it's a hardware problem you'll be back in a week or two with the same problems. It's not the HDD in fact I don't even believe it to be the motherboard anymore.

I recently stuck the default PSU that came with the m9350f into another small PC I built for my daughter and started expierencing the same problems on completely different hardware, we found our problem, THE PSU! It was either the motherboard or the psu but since I replaced both at the sametime I couldn't be sure exactly of which until now.

PS: I think the problem is coming from the holes that are cut below the psu dumping a good portion of hot air down into the motherboard and hdd and since it has bad ventilation the hot air is accumulating in there and eventually slowing the machine down to a crawl. I wouldn't recommend covering the holes though the psu is cut that way for a reason more than likely simply replacing the psu (not with the same model) might just be the easiest and cheapest fix.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Well I tend to agree, that it's not the HDD either as a new one is working well.  I did mount my TB disk differently than they did the 750 that came with the machine.  That one was all the way back so it had no way of breathing at all.  This time I mounted 1/2 way in the middle so it has space on either side.

I told them that the next time a drive gets corrupted, whether it be my new one or the 750 that I just fixed with the hidden menu that they can come pick the machine up, I will refer to the previous case number and refuse to spend another hour of my time with it.

It's great to hear that you put their psu in another machine and it did the same thing.  See when mine first did it, I took off the side cover and the thing was HOT, so my first assumption was the disk fried.  I've left the panel off since.  I had planned on another drive for external use anyway so I didn't give a second thought to trucking down to best buy and grabbing one and was pleased to see the machine work again.

I have my eye on a 700w power supply anyway.  I didn't pay any attention to the one in it like you mentinoed the holes, I do know that machine was way too hot so yea, it needs cooling help.

I didn't say this was the fix, remember I said this didn't solve the reson it got corrupted to begin with.  What I said is for those who tried a restore and still have a sluggish machine, here's how to fix the drive.  Of course we still have the issue as to why it happened in the first place, and why it's happening to so many others.

I do agree that heat is a BIG issue in this machine.  What poor engineering.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 12:54 AM
  • I'm so glad I found this thread. I have been having the exact same problems of you guys for months now. Brand new quad core HP Pavilion Elite D500t Vista 64 Home Premium 8Gigs of RAM computer.  Was told by HP tech support to run chkdsk on my monster of a hard drive 700GB. Takes hours, lately an entire day +. I must have done it 7 times already. HP says I need to reformat my hard drive but I see people have done that and this doesn't gets rid of the problem. I decided to fork money on a new hard drive and now I regret it since reading this thread it looks like the problem is not the hard drive.

The thing is HP needs to correct this problem, if it is by replacing motherboard & power supply or whatever they need to do.

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:30 PM
  • I have excatly the idemtical problems mentioned in this discussion with An HP Computer Quad Core Vista 64 OS. It slows down every two days to a crawl. HP support is sending me a HDD. Not sure if that will help. I have done 3 system restores. Not sure why the harddrive keeps working. This seems like a systemic issue with high end HP computers. A legal action may be our only option.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:10 PM
  • This is a followup to my earlier comment. As suggested by others this appears to be a heat-related issue or in some systems it is called hysterisis. The degradation appears to happen after some time. Also I agree that the probelm may not be with the HDD but with the connections. The data transfer rate is what gets affected and crawls to 2.1 after some use. Also, I bought my HP m9350f at Best Buy. Since I diod not buy an extended service plan, I am not sure about my options. Has anyone tried to simply upload from scratch a Vista Home Premium 64b  on this machine instead of going through the HP recovery option?

Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:01 PM
  • No matter what you do to the hard drive it is not the problem. I have tested the hard drive in my computer with the Smart scan in the BIOS, Sandra Lite and chkdsk. No problems found. This has to either the PSU or the Motherboard. I  tend to agree it is more the power supply because is very low wattage for the hardware. This is not heat related for me because this happens every Friday right when I start my PC in morning. And its been off all night and not even warm. Mine is at HP for bench repair now so we will how it goes.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Here is the BestBuy return policy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?type=page&contentId=1117177044087&id=cat12098

I would either call them or bring it to the store and tell their are major problems with it and want to return it. Don't accept no for a answer.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:45 PM
  • If it was the PSU, it wouldn't slow down on the exact same day each week. Even if  smart scan says there is no problems on the HD, it does does have corrupted sectors acting wonky on Vista 64. It's Windows Vista 64 trying to back up the system registry each week. It doesn't show up in task scheduler and there is no way to disable this process. When the registry tries to back up on the bad sectors, the process hangs and slows the PC down to a crawl. Just follow the instructions Flaboye posted up and the issue should be resolved. 

"Stick disc 1 of your 3 disk recovery set, hopefully you made one of these.  When you see the blank screen and flashing curser press cntrl+bkspace a few times, and a hidden manufacturers menu comes up.

1.  Erase partition info, do this and then reboot go back to this menu as above.

3.  Wipe drive sector by sector.  This zeroes the drive and makes it new again.  This is why it passes allt he SMART tests.  It has corrupted sectors which won't show up in those tests."

My best guess is that Vista 64 doesn't like the way HP originally sets up their drives.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:07 AM
  • LOL.  Sounds like Loki is an HP support guy!  That's the answer they always give too.  Wipe the drive and start over.  The only problem is, the issue comes back anyway.

With regard to timing, at first, these slowdowns seemed to occur only on weekends, but I don't believe there has ever been a specific time of day.  And lately, I have seen it about every 4 or 5 days, sometimes in the morning.

Last Thursday, the slowdown had begun just as I was ready for bed, so I just shutdown the system.  The slowdown persisted when I brought it up Friday morning.  So I called to harass HP for a few hours.  They still don't know what is the cause and had nothing but standard suggestions on what to try, followed by the standard call ender, "if you don't do what I tell you and format the drive, I can no longer talk to you".

But one thing we did do was install a BIOS update that was release on 9/30 that "Updates thermal policy for Yorkfield and Wolfdale" and a couple other things.  The slowdown that had persisted throughout the call with HP was over after that BIOS update and has not occurred again in the 3 days since.  I am not holding my breath, but who knows.  The site that has the updates is

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3750363&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us#

FYI.

Monday, October 13, 2008 2:27 AM
  • They act like theres no way in *** it could be their crappy engineering, I've kicked the PSU to the curve and haven't seen a slowdown in almost 3 weeks, installed it on another small pc for my daughter and boom slowdowns! So tell me to reformat my HDD again and see what I tell you lol.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Tangerine, have you tried chkdsk with the fix option checked?  It has sometimes taken up to a day to run but it has always solved the slowdowns for me and I'm on a similar computer: HP d5000t, Quad 9450 8GB RAM Vista 64.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:48 AM
  •  SimonWM wrote:
    Tangerine, have you tried chkdsk with the fix option checked?  It has sometimes taken up to a day to run but it has always solved the slowdowns for me and I'm on a similar computer: HP d5000t, Quad 9450 8GB RAM Vista 64.

Thanks for the suggestion, Simon.  I took your advice and performed a chkdsk on my drive.  Not sure how long it ran, but it did not find anything. 

One question:

You say that it has always solved the slowdowns.  You were not saying that the slowdowns never came back after you ran a chkdsk the first time, right?

I have never done a chkdsk to resolve the slowdown, but I have been able to make it go away in less that a couple of hours at least 90% of the time.  Lately, I have been resolving it with a couple of reboots into safe mode with some reflection time while in there.  But twice, I have seen it go away with a Full Hard Drive Test using the Hardware Diagnotics Tool, and that only takes 3 hours.

It is my theory that the PSU causes a setting change that causes the slowdown.  And even if the PSU cools down, the setting change is not reversed unless something somewhere is manipulated.  But obviously, nobody knows the answer, so I am not real confident in my theory either.  I am hopeful, however, that the BIOS update that made changes to a CPU thermal policy may have been the needed correction.  I have not had the problem for 5 days now with some intense computer use.  Would love to see it go beyond the 7 day mark, which is the longest it has gone without having the problem.  I will post when it gets there.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:27 PM
  • alright, i just bought a new PSU 520W just to see if this is the issue. the computer is slow currently after about 2 weeks of it being good. Put in the new PSU and to my surprise nothing changed. i thought that perhaps it was underpowered and gave that idea a shot but no change. the pc is going back to HP tomorrow. they are going to replace the MB, PSU and HDD. after they replace this there are apperently going to do a bunch of hardware test to make everything is ok. For some reason though i thinking that they aren't going to find anything and iam going to have the same issue again. So i will get reply to this thread again once i receive my computer back from HP. good luck to all!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:42 PM
  • to Loki,

do you own the m9350f pavillion? did this process work for you?

is this process a type of permanent fix?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:43 PM
  • I have the M9350f. It woudl routinely hang, run slow, and take almost 20 minutes to shutdown/boot up at times. I tried reformating using the partition and it didn't work, but I was told to make a 3-DVD backup and did the Ctrl+Backspace trick to zero out the entire HDD. I haven't had any hangs or slow downs since and this was in late August.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Chris:

Just putting in the new PS after the drive gets corrupted won't help.  Your going to need to fix the HD and by replacing your PS you probably shouldn't ever get the corruption again.

I posted earlier in the thread how to use their 3 disk set they ask you to create, it has a hidden menu which can sector zero the drive and it'll be fresh as new.  Do that then reinstall from the recovery disks and let us know how your new PS is doing.  Thanks !  Joe

Friday, October 17, 2008 12:15 AM
  • Mine did it again a bit ago, and when they offered to send me a drive, I requested they pick it up instead. So they're sending a box and a label. Meanwhile I've put my sharpie to good use and marked everything to see what they replace if anything. I'll update as needed. Has anyone else gotten a pc back from their service center and if so what did they replace, and has your unit malfunctioned since, and if not, how long since service center did whatever they did. Joe

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:21 PM
  • I'm still having the same issue. I've been following this for months. I've more or less gotten use to it. HP refuses to send me a new HDD since this one hasn't "failed." All they tell me is to create restore disks and wipe the HD completely down. This takes hours and I have done it, twice. No avail. I don't have the stamina to talk to HP support anymore ... anyone have any ideas?

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:09 PM
  • The first time I did the hard drive zero sector thingy I told them to put on that incident # that I will NOT waste hours of my time doing it twice.  They did.  The 2nd time I called they offered a HD but I said absolutely not, it's not the HD you people know it's not, and come get my computer.  They are sending a fedex box and shipping label.  This is the letter that I wrote to them, taped across the case such that they must remove it to get inside the pc, and another of these is INSIDE the pc:

October 19, 2008

Re:  M9350F Elite Tower

Dear Sirs:

These are my observations concerning this computer.

1.        This thing gets extremely hot.  The PSU doesn’t exhaust enough air and the inside temperature far exceeds safe levels.

2.       The PSU is underpowered.  The Nvidia site recommends 400w just for the card itself, and this entire PSU is a 460.

3.       The PSU needs to have multiple 12v rails in order to be stable if you are not going to up the wattage sufficiently.

In other words, this machine needs a better air circulation, probably a better CPU fan cooling assembly, but at the very least it needs a stronger and better ventilated PSU.

Please do not return this to me if you do not do something about the heat problem and the underpowered PSU.  There is no way a 460w PSU is sufficient for a computer with a 9800gt video card installed.  That’s ridiculous.

I have been in the IT business for over 20 years.  There are multiple threads and forums even on HP’s own site about this and other models with the IDENTICAL issues.  Solve this problem please.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1274730&admit=109447626+1224378671376+28353475

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?pageindex=1&siteid=17&postid=3609254&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

Those are but two links to more than 10 sites and forums with at least one hundred other people struggling with their hard earned cash being wasted on such an engineering disaster that this m9350f PC has turned out to be.  I expect that some major upgrades be done to this machine before it is returned to me, otherwise simply state in writing that you cannot fix the engineering flaws and I will then get a refund of my purchase price.  Thank you.

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:49 PM
  •  Tangerine wrote:

But one thing we did do was install a BIOS update that was release on 9/30 that "Updates thermal policy for Yorkfield and Wolfdale" and a couple other things.  The slowdown that had persisted throughout the call with HP was over after that BIOS update and has not occurred again in the 3 days since.  I am not holding my breath, but who knows.  The site that has the updates is

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3750363&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us#

FYI.

In the quoted post, I mentioned installation of a BIOS update that was released 3 weeks ago.  A few days later, I was hopeful that things had changed since everything had been working fine for 5 days.  This was 5 days when the slowdown was occurring about every 4 days.

It has now been 10 days of intense computer use, with no reboots, and I have not seen the issue.  I will repost the next time I do.  It would be nice if I never have to.

I am hoping that the thermal policy update to Dual Core (Wolfdale) and Quad Core (Yorkfield) cpus was the fix that was needed.  This policy could have been over-throttling the cpu when it got hot.  I also hope that by no longer throttling the cpu, it won't just burn up from the heat!  Time will tell.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:45 AM
  • Hello,

I am tired of this. I have same problem and repair it in different ways each time. Now, i think its ok finally.

The problem is hardware from hp. I dont have spyware or malware or viruses, i have an hp dx2300, 2 Gb RAM, nVidia 8600 GT and XP SP3.

There is a evident conflict between nVidia 86 Series and hp hardware (i dont know wich is exactly the problem and think the problem is not only with that serie) you can fix with last drivers from nVidia

And there is an evident conflict between process explorer.exe (and others related) and hp hardware (not software). If you make chkdsk you will get a hard disk broken (hp gives you another if warranty is not yet expired, they give me another one).

There are a lot of intermediate solutions:

- Install nVidia drivers

- chkdsk bad solution

- Install last drivers from hp and nVidia drivers again (this usually works until you install anything new)

- There is people installing microcode for the cpu (JUA, JUA) I did it :-(

- You can deactivate all the items in the startup processes (msconfig --> start)

My solution is: (my windows is no english version as you could imagine while reading this)

- Folder options --> "open folder windows in another process"

- Folder options --> "do not save in cache miniatures" (I think this is the very problem with process explorer.exe)

- Do not use Explorer for file manipulation. I use Ultraexplorer and FreeCommander and both are free

I am working fine 2 weeks ago.

I dont think hp people do nothing about it. There is people with the problem and when hp tests run ok they deliver the pc with the exact problem to your office.

There are lots of threads about nVidia and hp and i have read always the same.

THE PROBLEM IS HP HARDWARE.

Regards

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Gi into services. Go Start and type services

Turn off Ready Boost

Turn off Super Fetch

Been alot of problems caused by these two.

Also responsible for most of the erronious hard drive activity

• Proposed as answer by alpha11ama Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:28 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:03 AM
  • To flaboye,

Did you end up getting a responce from hp after you sent it to them? I just received mine, they said they changed the ram and changed the hard drive. no psu change. so before turning it on, i did the zero the hdd to get it fresh, reinstalled vista from the cd. so everything is running good right now. i dontk now for how long though.

if this fails it will going back to hp again and iam going to make sure i get a whole new one or my money back.

flayboye let me know if did the same for you.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Add another HP m9350f to the list.  Started using the computer on 10/16/08 and witnessed the slows on 10/20, 10/24, 10/26.  Read a bunch of threads to see what people are trying and so far nothing seems to work.  It is obvious that HP support has no clue either.  I'll give it a few weeks to see if a solution is found.  Otherwise I'll send it back and build my own like I usually do.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:00 PM
  • To Chris:

Waiting on it to get returned, they just said they received it today lol, although it was delivered last Friday.  Will update the forum here when they return it, as to what they actually did replace, and what, if any reponse to my letter which was stuck inside the case and taped across the back (so they had to move it to get inside).

Cheers!

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Strange thing that I haven't noticed before -- keep in mind that I just got this d4999t back from bench repair --  I've had the cover off the case all day and keep hearing clicking and buzzing sounds on a periodic basis.  Every 30 seconds I hear a distinct "Click", like a relay making.  That is followed 15 seconds later by a buzz, one second later by a motor ramping up.  Then 10 seconds after that by another distinct click, like a relay releasing.  Then it starts over again.  I could find no apparent relay on the MOBO.  Once the computer becomes active (doing some process) this periodic rhythm ceases.  Then it comes back 20 minutes later.

Each ramp-up shows a spike on the disc activity on the Resource Monitor.  It is only a very short time - one second or so - and usually about 50KB/sec.  Occasionally the spike is over 100KB/sec and last about 2 seconds.  

I stuck my ear into the case as best I could but couldn't reliably locate the relay.  It is either coming from the power supply, or the MOBO.  

Does anybody make anything of this interesting periodic disc ramp-up?  Could this be normal?

BTW - my power supply is running cool, really cool, not even warm to the touch.  The HDD's are quite hot, but I suspect that is normal.

Rich H

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:47 PM
  • HDD transfer rate can make a HUGE difference in performance.  Most of you know that of course...

I had to find out through a LOT of experimentation and self-support pain that it was the IAA causing the 'issue'.   Check this web site here:   http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/ 

There are a LOT of mobo's and HDD's that REQUIRE you have Intel's Application Accelerator RUNNING in the background.  It's the difference between a very slow transfer rate, and the rate you experienced when you 1st got your PC. 

For me, I disabled it thinking it was just another piece of *** software taking up cycles and didn't need it.  Wrong.  Very wrong.  It's very much needed to ensure your drive is running in the proper transfer mode (PIO, etc..).

IF this application doesn't help, find a good testing program and look into your BIOS for the issue.  Test and be SURE your transfer rate is the highest is should be.  You can change it in your BIOS or through software like the IAA here:  http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/

hope this info helps at least one person   Smile

Dan B

Carlsbad, CA

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:39 PM
  • What about us that have AMD chipsets? Is there a equal program that's compatible for AMD?
    I have the HP m9350f it has a ASUS M2N78-LA motherboard.
    HP removes all possible setting in there BIOS so we no settings like your talking about.
    Is it HP's fault? Or is the best way to overcome this nightmare a new non HP motherboard.
    Maybe its Vista's fault who knows. Not even HP knows.
    My next project is to just format the hard drive and install Linux, I don't like Vista that much anyway.
    I was going to build a computer myself without an OS, so Vista is a non issue for me, and I have backup images of the hard drive if I need to re image the hard drive with Vista.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:44 PM
  •  Itapaw11 wrote:

Gi into services. Go Start and type services

Turn off Ready Boost

Turn off Super Fetch

It has been 3 weeks since I installed the BIOS upgrade.  Have not had a problem since.  Not until today, that is.  It just started up again.  Same symptoms, very slow, apps launching slowly, hard drive light pegged.

While this was going on, I launched Services.msc and turned off Ready Boost.  The drive light did not change noticeably.  Then I turned off Super Fetch and the massive drive access ceased.  All is fine with no reboot.  Looks like Itapaw may have discovered the issue.  I hope so!  Thanks for that help, Itapaw.

Saturday, November 1, 2008 5:38 PM
  • hey orignally I was searching for a way to replace HP BIOS with an AMI BIOS, i have the m9350f PC too and your problem is that your RAID controller is FAILING(not the physical controller but the driver is degrading) THIS IS TO ALL OF THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WITH THIS PROBLEM,I had the same problem what I did is deactivate the controller. I'm currently using my SATA,here's what you do.<<<NOTE: Backup your DATA!!! IT WILL BE LOST!!!>>>

1. On-boot enter the "Nvidia MediaShield" BIOS/Setup.
    2. Delete the array of YOUR HARD DISK DRIVES(DO NOT REBUILD OR ATTEMPT TO RE-CREATE THE ARRAY).
    3. restart your PC, enter your recovery CDs/DVDs.
    4. Install Vista.
    5. After finished the install and setup, go into Device Manager on an Administrator account - go to "Storage Controllers" tab and disable the "RAID Controller".
    6. restart your PC.
    7. YOU'RE DONE!!!

The problem is that HP's drivers(modified for your pc from the original manufacturer divers) are BETA, they are flawed, The RAID controller driver form HP is faulty. The service for the driver was not scripted/programmed right and causes the RAID driver degrade. RAID is also useless if you only have one HDD! Please reply to this and tell me how it worked out!
    Monday, November 3, 2008 3:26 AM
  • njthemonster have you tried just uninstalling the media shield or the HP drivers and installing Nvidia's newest ones?
    I have the newest nvidia drivers (nvidia 178.24 and nforce chipset 15.24)  and still have the problem. Tomorrow I will uninstall all the nvidia drivers, RAID and media shield software, and just reinstall the nvidia chipset drivers without the raid drivers and media shield and see how it goes.
    To get into the media shield bios are you taking about the ctrl + N at startup?
    How long have gone without these issues?
    Monday, November 3, 2008 5:43 AM
  • If anyone is interested I use Macrium Reflect Free to image my hard drive to a external USB drive. Its probably alot faster to backup and restore your data. Backup time for my 750 gb hard drive is 10 minutes, restore time is about 15 minutes for each partition (can only restore one partition at a time). The backup image file size is about 19 gb for my hard drive and that includes both partitions.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    Monday, November 3, 2008 5:51 AM
  • Yes, I was talking about that(ctrl+n) and ever since I did that I have not HAD ANY PROBLEMS and my HDD has been giving me noticably higher responce times. I have the HP Pavilion m9350f PC, please post your specs. and I'll see what I can do.

Sincerely, Njthemonster.

EDIT: DO NOT UNINSTALL MEDIA SHIELD - even though its for RAID Control, the m9350f uses Media Shield "BIOS" to recognize and find drives whether they're for SATA or RAID, UNINSTALLING IT CAN CAUSE THE BIOS  (media shield) TO MALFUNCTION!!!(not detect the drives) AS WELL AS LEAVE ALL DRIVES ON THE RAID, INCLUDING YOUR CD/DVD DRIVES UNUSABLE and sometimes leave the PC unbootable!!! The only way to fix it would be to flash the Media BIOS w/ a floppy - legacy drive.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Njthemonster: Your solution like a possible fix for all this. How long have you been without problems?

It's not unusual for the slowdown to not occur for 2 or 3 weeks, so until multiple people have gone 3-4 weeks without the problem recurring, I'm hesitant to reinstall my OS yet again.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:18 AM
  • I have been about 2 months without ANY PROBLEMS xmichealx. I don't know about you, but this is probably the best thing I've done yet (metaphorically speaking).
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I have the m9350f also. But have moved everything over to a new case (Cooler Master CM 690) and installed a better higher wattage power supply (Corsair 750TX). Everything else is the same but I did not use the card reader from the old case.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:47 AM
  • I did not uninstall the Media Shield but it was updated when I installed the new Nvidia nforce 15.24 drivers.

If we were to do will this render RAID totally unusable on this motherboard? Not that I'm ever going to use it.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:58 AM
  • njthemonster --- 

From all that I have read here and elsewhere it seems you might be onto a reasonable fix for our problems.

However, not being as fluent in terminology or tech savvy as you and some of the others, I have gotten a bit lost trying to follow your steps outlined in a couple of posts above.  Could I ask that you detail your instructions in step by step, clear and concise?  I want to take those steps but am reluctant to do so without a more explicit map to follow.  

Also, my restore image is on the C: hard drive.  Will this be wiped off along with the other data?  I don't think the computer came with restore CD's.  
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Since I have the m9350f which only has one hard drive there was no option to delete the RAID array because it was not set up in the first place. It was already deleted. So this is not the issues on my computer.

@Rich Ho

Do you have more than one hard drive on your d4999t?

When you reboot your computer there should a prompt (before Vista starts) to enter set up for your RAID settings.

When you go into those RAID setting are your hard drives set up as an array? Do not change any setting yet.

Here is link to your manuals if you need info on your RAID setting.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3659706&

Back up all your files you want to save.

Follow setup 1 here to make recovery media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&rule=79&product=3659706

If you have a external USB hard drive or blank DVD's, you can make a image of your hard drive with this free software. Create a image of both partitions (C: and D: (your Recovery partition)

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

I use it all the time and it works great.

Let us know if your computer has both hard drives set up as RAID.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:28 PM
  • I have the m9350f. I checked and there was no array set up either. Just to be on the safe side, I went ahead and disabled the NVIDIA RAID Controller in the device manager. I guess there is no reason to have it enabled if you only have one HD.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:35 AM
  • kr4ey

Yes, I have two 750MB hard drives but they are not set up on RAID.  Before they were replaced I had them setup on RAID.  When they were replaced the second one wasn't even initialized.  I had to do that on my own and decided to use it as a stand alone drive for my video files.  It is good to have all the video data going to a second drive anyway.

As for the instructions you've given above,  they seem to augment others.  I am still a bit cloudy as to what all to do and in what sequence.  Are you agreeing that the software/driver changes might fix our problem?  I had a slow down the other day, but it cleared in about 30 minutes.  I can't suffer these slowdowns while video editing then have to switch to my old computer, but I almost dare not begin a project on this HP.  

I am sorry to require so much hand-holding, but I am quite skittish when messing with some of the deeper workings of the PC.  I'd appreciate whatever you can do as far as writing a step by step guide.  I don't know how many of us might need this information presented this way, but I know I would appreciate it.  

Thanks, 

Rich Ho
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Well if your hard drives are not set up as RAID array you don't have to worry. I would make backups with your HP utility or Macrium as stated above. It may be good to use Macrium in your case, as you already have a second hard drive and can store all your backups on it. They only take up less than 20 gb of space. Another good thing about Macrium is you have a current image of your hard drive so there is no need to set up everything all over again. Make sure you make a boot disk, if you need to restore your system.
    Here is the help files on there website.

http://www.macrium.com/help.html

And here is instructions for HP Backup and Recovery.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/312352-0-0-225-121.html

As for my computer (m9350f). I have removed all the HP software including PC Doctor and have the current nVidia drivers installed.

Now you have the d4999t so you have the Intel G33 Chipset.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01357064&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3659706&lang=en

And here you can find your HP Drivers, Specs and Manuals. There are some newer drivers and BIOS update from September here.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2100&product=3659706&

Here is a link to your Intel G33 Chipset info and drivers at Intel's website. You may find more updated drivers for your chipset here.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/g33/g33-overview.htm

Now I am not sure what Video card you have but your motherboard has
    Integrated Graphics (GeForce 6150SE) or if you have a add on nVidia Video card you can find the most up to date drivers here. As of today newest video drivers were 178.24

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Not sure if you have the 6, 8 series or 9 series so you will have to select that in the second box and your Windows version in the third box. Check in your control panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Display Adapters to see what video card you have.

I did notice a performance increase that is shown in my thread at the HP Forums but it did not fix the issues with this PC.

You can always leave your computer alone if you feel like not upgrading drivers. But its a simple process just download your newest drivers. Uninstall the old ones, reboot your computer. And install the new ones. If you need any more help just let me know. The most important thing is to make a backup incase something goes wrong with your computer.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Ya right now im in the process of changing my drivers to manufacturer drivers instead of HP. So far I've gained a ittle more performance and stability, but to get the special abilties of my graphic card(a.k.a. overclocking/overspeeding fans) I also need a new VGA BIOS(graphic card). Even if I'm tech savy I still need a little help, should I flash my VGA BIOS and if so, where can i find an original? This wil really he me get Vista and my games running smoother, especially since my pc hovers at about 80*C and I'm SD(sofware developer) and my SDK lags when my graphics plunder. Anyway guys try using theoriginal drivers instead of the Hp ones they're full of so many problems.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Don't know of a VGA BIOS for the nVidia Video Card. Not sure if it would be on there site or not.

For the m9350f here's the newest nVidia chipset and video drivers. Download these drivers first before

uninstalling the old ones (you won't have a internet connection after uninstalling chipset drivers)

Chipset

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista64_15.24.html

Video

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_178.24_whql.html

After uninstalling old drivers reboot into safe mode and run this utility to clean out your old drivers.

Only select nVidia chipset and display.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

For overclocking your video card and setting the fan speed you can download nVidia System Tools.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html
    Monday, November 10, 2008 3:04 AM
  • It's not just HP or Desktops... I have Toshiba Satellite A215-S6816 with 4gb RAM, AMD Turion x64 Mobile Dual Core, Raedon HD2400xt graphics, running Vista Home x64

My computer is slow and I am really starting to hate Vista. Even when I upgraded to 4gb RAM, no noticeable difference. Startup is ridiculous. I really want a MacBook.

Explorer freezes up frequently. Copying large files from one location to another is clunky at best. And for some reason the ATI display driver won't stop freezing up when the computer runs for a while. I've tried system restore and re-installing latest drivers from the companies but still no better.

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Mark-
    This thread is about horrendous slowdowns that occur approx. once per week, and which can only be fixed by a) reinstalling the OS; or b) waiting anywhere from a few hours to a day for the problem to fix itself. Is this the same problem you have on your Toshiba? If so, that would be very interesting, since you'd be the first (and it would indicate a more widespread problem than we had thought).

I appreciate that other folks have other problems with Vista, but it would be helpful if everyone would stick to the original poster's issue so that we can share info about fixing this particular problem.

A few here mentioned that they'd sent their computers back to HP for part replacement. Have any of you found that the problem is solved?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:30 PM
  • No. I have sent mine back (m9350f) and it has same problem. Others have sent there's back and have the same problem. I have since ordered a new AMD 790GX motherboard , 8 gb memory and 500 gb hard drive. And I will install this next week. 

I am not waiting for HP to figure out what the problem is, I have given up on them. They have no idea how or what to fix.

This has been going on for alot of people for more than 3 months, some people have reported it for 6 months.

And I have a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830 wih Vista64 that works excellent, I have zero problems with this notebook.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I think all you folks are on the wrong track here....

Go to the Nvidia website and download the drivers they have for the video card and the add ons for the motherboard also... get the right ones for the os...

then make sure your not crashing your PC by power it off you do know if your running vista 64 your running the default HD recover rollback feature and till this thing sets itself up OR if you happen to catch it after you install something it may reak havock on the PC... and make it seem like the HD is running... and MAY take hours like 6 or more!

Also don't forget if you remove NORTON on this version or any new one you should be using the NORTON removal tool...

I have had this PC from day 1 and HP knows nothing I am very technical they want you to reinstall and that is BS!

This thing flies and can even be overclocked to run around 3.1 with the proper cooling but easily at 2.8 with stock setup... zoom zoom... and all via software... 

Again sounds like you all have been struggling here... DO all the HP ONLINE UPDATES... and watch out for the GOBACK util sounds like thats what got you folks here RAID has nothing to do with any of it...

Its amazing how many people I see trash this system and I can tell from my years of experience in IT there are allot of folks that are clueless...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:46 AM
  • I was the one that first reported that issue a long time ago.I actually had it since June.

All i wanted to say is that i tried most of the solutions mentioned in this thread and none worked for me.

Finally, HP sent me a replacement HD. I have to sent the old back but because i can't even format it, i ll just keep it and let them charge me for the extra one. I think thats the last time i ll have dealings with HP anyway.

Unfortunately, the new HD was blank (no Vista installed) and i had no restoration CDs-my mistake. Of course i can re-order them from HP (think its about 10-20$).

But as it turned out that is for the best.

I  re-installed my old Windows XP and my computer works fine for the past 3 weeks, so far.

I have to admit, i had a hard time finding all the component drivers for Win XP because the HP provides only Vista ones, but i finally made it.

So i ll keep it with Win XP. Perhaps one day i may install Vista again, but the generic Microsoft version. Win XP may be less good looking than Vista and a bit slower i admit, but at least so far they work and thats all i need.

I dont know if that helps but i ve been trying to fix this problem a long time now and finally got tired of it. Computer is a tool to do other things with that. If you spend the whole time repairng the tool...not worth it.

I also have to mention that although HP was very helpful to replace my HD they did nothing to fix the root of the problems. In all my dealings with them i mentioned this thread and pointed out that this is a software problem, yet they ignored me.

I am far from happy with their attitude and don't plan to get any of their products in the future.

PS

If someone has a "clean" Vista installation (not the HP Version) please say so. I am curious if it works.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:00 PM
  •  Tangerine wrote:
     Itapaw11 wrote:

Go into services. Go Start and type services

Turn off Ready Boost

Turn off Super Fetch

It has been 3 weeks since I installed the BIOS upgrade.  Have not had a problem since.  Not until today, that is.  It just started up again.  Same symptoms, very slow, apps launching slowly, hard drive light pegged.

While this was going on, I launched Services.msc and turned off Ready Boost.  The drive light did not change noticeably.  Then I turned off Super Fetch and the massive drive access ceased.  All is fine with no reboot.  Looks like Itapaw may have discovered the issue.  I hope so!  Thanks for that help, Itapaw.

I have now been slowdown free since 11/1.  Previously, these slowdowns were occurring about every 4 or 5 days.  During the last one on 11/1, I opened my Services console and disabled Ready Boost and Super Fetch.  My PC IMMEDIATELY started functioning normally, before I even closed my Services console.  Those services have been disabled ever since.  The only downside is that with those services running, some apps launched almost immediately, if they were in cache, where now, they take 20 to 30 seconds. But that is alot better than the 7 to 10 minutes that it took during a slowdown event.

I would be interested to hear of others that made this change and continue to have the slowdowns.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:55 PM
  • This is NOT a Windows problem, it's a hardware problem. I have formatted my hard drive (removed all partitions) about two weeks ago and installed Linux and still have slowdowns. I had bad slowdown today and the hard drive light was on for about 5 hours.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Hi,  I had the same problem as mentioned with the  HP M9350F, slow pc, intense read times, low windows performace number on HD.

so its been about a month or more now and its been running great. heres the steps i followed.

step 1:

1. On-boot enter the "Nvidia MediaShield" BIOS/Setup.
    2. Delete the array of YOUR HARD DISK DRIVES(DO NOT REBUILD OR ATTEMPT TO RE-CREATE THE ARRAY).
    3. restart your PC, enter your recovery CDs/DVDs.
    4. Install Vista.
    5. After finished the install and setup, go into Device Manager on an Administrator account - go to "Storage Controllers" tab and disable the "RAID Controller".
    6. restart your PC.
    7. YOU'RE DONE!!!

step 2:

Turn off Ready Boost

Turn off Super Fetch

step 3:

update the bios of the motherboard at HP website for HP M9350F Pavillion. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3747345&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20»

update all other drivers for the PC as well

that should do it. this is what ive done and my pc has been running great ever since. this is for about a month now. there is still a chance that it could happen i suppose but so far so good. Just be sure to do lots of defrags and keep the system clean with avast, spybot, i have also been using this program called Advanced System Care3 which is basically an all in one system cleaner and repair. Definately worth checking out. http://majorgeeks.com/Advanced_SystemCare_3_d5927.html

good luck to all. post a question if i didnt cover something!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Chris I already tried all that and no help.

Step 1: The m9350f only has one hard drive so RAID is already disabled.

Step 2. Disabling ready boost and super fetch doesn't work.

Step 3. Already have newest BIOS update and did not help.

I have installed new motherboard, memory, processor, hard drive and CD/DVD Drive today and did not reinstall
    any of the HP hardware. And I'm using Linux for my OS.

If you saw my last post I was still having slowdowns even with Linux installed. That tells me it was a hardware problem.

I will put my HP m9350f back together this weekend and sell it.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:40 AM
  • @kr4ey:
    Sorry to hear that installing Linux didn't work. I was thinking about trying that as well, as soon as I was confident that I could find drivers for all my hardware. Guess I won't bother now.

Several people here claimed it was the power supply, and I notice that's one of the few things you didn't try replacing. Maybe you could try that?? If you do, please let us know if it helps!!

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:02 AM
  • After having this problem on my m9350f every week for a month, I finally decided to simply swap out the stock PSU for an equivalent Antec Earthwatts and reinstall Vista. This worked for a week, then my system started slowing down again. I put in a new hard drive (500GB Seagate ST350063) and installed Vista yet again and I have not had problems since.

Until today, I had been using the old hard drive (750GB Seagate ST375063) as a storage disk. Now it shows the same ridiculously slow performance that I was seeing on a weekly basis when it was the primary drive... the disk is just useless.

Now I don't know whether the PSU caused the HDD to malfunction, or if the HDD can be fixed by something lower-level than reformatting, but I know that replacing both the PSU and HDD fixed the problem for me.

Hope that helps.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:38 AM
  • I did swap out the power supply about a month after I started having these problems to a 750 watt PSU. I also changed everything over to a new case. But the power supply did not help.
    That's why I decided to buy all new hardware. There is something very
    wrong with the HP  hardware.
    Most likely the motherboard. So I am happy I have a new system that has higher specs and faster than the m9350f was, and I paid less for it.

Here's my new specs.

AMD Phenom 9950 BE 2.6GHz CPU
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H Motherboard
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 1 GB GDDR3 Video Card
    G-Skill 8 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Western Digital 500 GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    LG 22x CD/DVD Burner Drive
    Corsair 750TX PSU
    Cooler Master CM 690 Case

Now I'm going to either battle HP for a refund or sell the m9350f.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:58 PM
  • I just remembered something i forgot to mention that i did with my drive. this is posted long about by flayboye.

Stick disc 1 of your 3 disk recovery set, hopefully you made one of these.  When you see the blank screen and flashing curser press cntrl+bkspace a few times, and a hidden manufacturers menu comes up.

3.  Wipe drive sector by sector.  This zeroes the drive and makes it new again.  This is why it passes allt he SMART tests.  It has corrupted sectors which won't show up in those tests.

Viola your back in business.  Of course this doesn't solve why it happened in the first place.

i think this is what actually worked for me and also perhaps a combination of all the other things i did. let me know if this helps!

Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Chris. I tried that a number of times and did not help.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Flaboye,

Any luck getting your computer back? HP wants me to send mine in, I'm wondering if it's worth the time.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:47 PM
  • to jon, i sent mine in, they replaced the HDD and i think my MOBO. Its been working fine ever since, plus some of my tweaking in the list above that i posted.
    worth a shot, only took about a week.

good luck!

Saturday, November 29, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Jonathan:

I got it back, with a replacement drive, which only gets 5.8 on the vista score! LOL

No problems since that, I have left it on with the power function in the control panel set to performance so it

does not go to sleep and keeps all the cores running at 2.5ghz.

I also put the case back together so it can burn itself up if thats what it does.

So, no problems since the replacement drive was put in.

I have spent several hours playing various games on it, with a momo wheel, GTR-2 Reloaded,

UT3, NFS Most Wanted, Crysis Warhead, etc.

So far so good.

Joe

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I haven't posted on this forum for awhile so let me catch you up.  I am encouraged that some of your computers are coming back from HP with apparent fixes.  Mine is there now and I have my fingers crossed.

I wrote a letter to the exec VP of HP requesting a refund and all I got back was a call from the complaint dept.  They talked me into another bench repair so I sent it back.  The tech said it would be a more intensive troubleshooting process.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  

I got word back from the state Attorney General stating that the lemon laws are only for vehicles.  But he did say that there was another statute that I could use in a complaint.  Hopefully it won't come to that.  

My best to you guys !!

Rich Ho
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Hi LatinPrince,

I also have the m9350f and was wondering about the specifics of your configuration. Specifically, what additional cablecard / turners you added, if you had to patch VMC, what extenders you stream to, and why you had to replace so much stuff on this machine. Do you do HD? Many thanks for your comments on the forum.

Friday, December 5, 2008 2:37 AM
  • OK,

I would like to chime in on my HP m9350f (refurb) unit.  I was having the same problems that many of you people have with the slow drive, slow, system bus, etc.  Late Nov 2008 I purchased this refurb (not knowing all the issues the model was having).  When I received it w/ the latest ROM (5.24), it smelled like smoke from the PSU (new one installed and sold as refurb) and really was putting out some heat.  Vista x64 SP1 was running, but experiencing the same slowness at random times.  I went ahead and tried Windows XP SP2 on it.  Same issues, just not quite as bad.  Tried Ubuntu 8.10 on it with the same issue.  The bottom line is it the issue is not the software, rather something to do w/ the hardware.  So, after extensive research and fiddling, I finally got a solid Vista x64 SP1 system.  My system has been on for 1+ week straight w/ out powering off (I use it for Orb and media center recordings throughout the week).

I do not have multiple disks and have all the OEM-only hardware in the system.

Here is what I did.
    1. Backup any user data and create the OEM restore DVDs.
    2. Reboot and CTRL-N to MediaShield setup.
    3. Delete partition and recreate new "SPAN" array.  I believe the OEM setting is striped. (problem is here IMHO).
    4. Insert Recovery disk 1 and begin restore.
    5. After Vista setup, disable Readyboost and nVidia RAID service (since no RAID on system).
    6. Install latest nvidia forceware (15.24).
    7. Installed apps and restored data.
    8. Defrag c: -f -w -v

I have been able to load the system and multitask w/ no issues w/ slow drives or system bus.  Vista benchmark is 5.9 across the board.

My belief is that the nVidia RAID controller is creating massive I/O overhead on the system bus when it "syncs the strips" of the RAID.  I recall that most RAID controllers configured for stripping will perform a sync and integrity check on each strip. It appears that our systems are not optimized for this function (e.g. no SmartArray or separate buffer/RAID processor) to offload this function which is forces the calculations and operation down to the system bus. 
    Odd that the system would be configured as such since there is only one OEM HD in the unit so stripping does not help.  I hope HP is reading this forum and can start helping people.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by njthemonster Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:57 PM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 3:38 PM
  • phenom_user:

We've heard about the nvidia raid thing before from some others as well.  Thing is, mine only has one drive in it, as I think a lot of others also only have one drive. 

So for me, nothing to do with raid but the exact symptoms you had in your system.  After receiving mine back from HP, it's been fine, but the HD only gets 5.8 instead of 5.9 other than that it's been working for several weeks now with no problems and I've left it turned on the entire time so it could screw up if it was going to.

Joe

Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:33 PM
  •  
    Same problem here with the M9350F, have re-installed numerous times during the last 6 months I have owned.

HP informed me it was an OS issue and recommended many patches that did not work. Ended up installing SUSE 11.1 - same problem with slowness after a few days; formatted, removed SUSE installed Ubuntu - same problems so I know it is not Windows Vista issue.

Bought my system directly from HP, Dude I should have got a DELL!!!!

I removed my 5 year old DELL XPS with 3gb of RAM and (1) 3.0ghz processor from the closet and placed the high peformance HP Elite in there.

It's amazing that a 5 year old Dell with 1 processor greatly out performs an new HP with Quad processors and 6gb of RAM.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:21 PM
  • HI everyone, 

I haven't been on in a while... I've fixed my issues with the slowdown, now this is a joke....

Apparently  our SMBus (sys. management bus) is not fully active AND vista can only use about 25% of it, now I'll explain why...

Everyone who has my PC should have the Hybrid SLI feature in the BIOS. Well apparently, our GeForce 8200/ MCP 720a (SMBus) is semi-inactive until we turn on Hybrid SLI.

Once you turn it on, go to www.nvidia.com/ and download the driver for the nForce 720a/8200M chipset, this will drastically improve the system speed, and here's the best part...

when I turned it on my RAID issue went away! Oh and as a bonus my PC booted twice as fast.* Oh and on the back of you PC, the two covered ports with screws are for the display for the 8200M. Go into Device Manager and look... there will be at least 5 new devices listed. Oh and for enthusiasts you can activate HybridPower by connecting your monitor to the mGPU in the back covered ports once Hybrid SLi is enabled.**

*Based on Vista boot-time, boot time was 84 seconds ---> 44 seconds.

**Primary Graphics Adapter option must be available in BIOS for HybridPower to work. Graphic card and PSU must be Hybrid compatible. Details at

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybrid_sli_desktop.html

• Proposed as answer by njthemonster Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:43 PM
  • If anyone experience problems with the HP M9350f , please contact me at dannygan626@gmail.com  

I need someone who can pinpoint the problem to a specific hardware defect. If anyone can PROVE it then I believe I can get a class action lawsuit going with full force of the consumer law weighing down on HP.

We shall not accept HP's defective high end computers that freeze weekly or bi weekly. Unusable and unstable computers that does not even perform like a computer.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:57 AM
  •       X10 - superbug  I have a Dell and it has 2 svhost .Exe files in it my kaspersky is stopping 1 of them from accessing services . although they both seem original.
         nothing shows up on virus scan from anywhere. I have expre4ssion 2 studio and Visual studio 2008 both have stopped responding intermittantly. Ocasional IE7 shutdowns as well. some other processess have done the same but not very often.
         I cannot find this problem anywhere on Msdn at all. Is there supposed to be 2 svhost.exe files . or just 1. I have just spent 3 or 4 months getting the apps into this 64 bit machine to work together from my older setup.
         Any Ideas as to what I may have done wrong? or is something else happening? Other Threads are not getting any response at all to Vista shutdown problems. nor svHost.exe . I see a bunch of references to vacations in germany there./and talk about strippers.
    Any suggstions or direction would be greatly appreciated. Newby_One_Canuby
        Hopefully before my machine goes bonkers on me.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Tercio: Sorry to hear that you had to switch OSs to fix the problem.

I finally sent my computer in to HP. Got it back about 2 weeks ago and haven't had a slowdown yet*. Hopefully, whatever they did fixed it.

Now that the problem is (apparently) gone, the system is super fast and I couldn't be happier with it. If I get the slowdown again, I'll post here.

* I did have one other problem: When the computer came back, it wouldn't recognize the graphics card, so I had to reinstall the drivers to use Media Center.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Hi guys!

I can't believe so many people are having the same issues!

I have: HP Pailion a6557.uk, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.2 Ghz, 4 gb of RAM; ATI Radeon HD 3650 512 mb; Vista 64 bit.

Bought it in September and I've had nothing but trouble! Like with you all, it suddenly starts to run very slow, and then the next say it would be fine!

I phoned HP support, used the online chat support thing; I even took it back to the shop for repair - nothing. At the store, they said there was nothing wrong with it!!! They didn't believe me!

I did factory reset once, it ran ok for a week, and then the slow 'days' returned! I tried disabling all start-up progs, defragmenting, running hardware diagnostics - nothing. I've ran out of options and I don't know what else to do. :(

Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Hey guys,
    I bought an m9350f PC about a year ago, had trouble, sent it in, they pretty much replaced my entire PC (except case lol) and I'm good, since they replaced everything I have no clue what caused the problem.

I feel sad for everyone buying HP's bootleg sh*t and end up with all this trouble to deal with, the reason I buy a computer from a major vendor is to avoid these problems.
    Anyway I'm just going to clear some things up and give out some information; I had originally sent this to dannygan who is currently trying to get enough dirt to get a lawsuit going:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Hi dannygan,
    I have a HP m9350f PC,
    I bought an HP PC to avoid these kinds of problems but I end up with them anyway. I expected more from HP.
    I am an enthusiast by the way.
    One day I was hooking a wireless headset in to the back of my PC and felt the heat coming out and knew it wasn't right. So checked out the temperatures (only SpeedFan and Rivatuner were able to detect thermal chips/diodes due to HP's custom boards [
    Thank heaven for their pioneer work]) and the temperatures I got were WTF!? Oh so high, so I did a test results are below:

As a note: Because of HPs crammed cases, I moved the m9350f to a different case with better cooling and this is what I got with a better case.
    Add +15C GPU (video Card), +10C CPU and +5C NB-SB(North Bridge+South Bridge) to get an estimate of what the temps. were like in my old "HP Branded" case.

Procedure - run fans @ 100% for 5 minutes then set to auto control (system controlled) and record temperature.

Stock:
    Idle System - RivaTuner (GeForce 9800GT)

Initial Temperature > Core Temperature - 58C
    Initial Temperature > Ambient Temperature - 43C

Core Temperature - 68C /Ambient Temperature - 49C after 2 minutes @ idle.
    Core Temperature - 75C /Ambient Temperature - 54C after 4 minutes @ idle.
    Core Temperature - 78C /Ambient Temperature - 56C after 5 minutes @ idle.

Idle System  - SpeedFan (motherboard+CPU)

CPU AMD K10 (Phenom 9850) - 47C / North Bridge 49C / South Bridge 51C after 2 minutes @ idle.
    CPU AMD K10 (Phenom 9850) - 59C / North Bridge 54C / South Bridge 56C
    after 4 minutes @ idle.
    CPU AMD K10 (Phenom 9850) - 61C / North Bridge 58C / South bridge 57C after 5 minutes @ idle.

System Under Load

Application -
    Call of Duty: World at War

Settings:
    Antialising: (bar/unknown)
    Resolution 1600X1000 @ 60Hz
    All settings maximum.

RivaTuner - GeForce 9800GT

Core Temperature - 81C /Ambient Temperature 57C after 3 minutes.
    Core Temperature - 84C /Ambient Tempreature 58C after 5 minutes and thereafter.

SpeedFan

CPU AMD K10 (Phenom 9850) - 68C / North Bridge 63C / South bridge 59C after 3 minutes.
    CPU AMD K10 (Phenom 9850) - 71C / North Bridge 64C / South bridge 60C after 5 minutes and thereafter.

I honestly expected more from HP and after the performance issues I want my money back, With that money, I could have either bought an AlienWare or custom build my PC. The whole reason for buying from a company like HP is to avoid these kinds of problems, not run into them. This is an AMD CPU, HP doesn't understand that compared to intel, AMD CPUs don't deal with heat that well, their architecture is different, same with their lifespan, AMD lifespans depend GREATLY on heat dissipation.
    AMD CPUs - LifeSpan = 30% architecture + 60% heat dissipation + 10% die material integrety & quality.
    Intel CPUs - LifeSpan = 55% architecture + 40% heat dissipation + 5% die material integrety & quality.

Obviously this isn't enough information but it's all I had time to do today.
    I will send you more data A.S.A.P.
    If there is anything specific that you require feel free to ask.

Sincerely,
    Njthemonster.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, as you can see from this PART, the temperatures in this computer are hotter than my stove! A computer doesn't run well under high heat, HP has incorporated one system fan for air circulations and the North Bridge and 9800GT are sealed off from any major air flow. HP has used a crappy cooler for the 9800GT, it ejects the hot air SIDEWAYS NOT OUT THE BACK! so all the cooling is doing is re-circulating that hot air. Now here's the funny thing. I had taken off the cover for cooling (like keeping it shut is any better in this case...) and everything dropped about 10~15C avg. !

I posted this result as an insight so that maybe someone else can find a solution.

Sincerely,
    Njthemonster.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Ok... what happened to this thread, it was so lively, felt like we were going to find a solution and next thing you know it goes dead...

CMON GUYS GET IN THERE... We got to find a fix or we're going to be stuck buying another $1500 ~ $2000.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:18 PM
  • Hi there,

Me  a new user here..............

Just do the following..because 64 bit is mostly incompatible as latest drivers are not available it does not loads properly.

Run sfc /scannow in safe mode.
    If the problem is in safe mode then it is drivers.
    Update your driver in that case.

as graphics often slows the boot up.

Clear temp and prefetch files in windows.

Run a disk clean up and let me know what s the output.
    windows updte is nto slowing your computer

Anken/...........

its meeee again
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Just bumping the thread...
    Anyways, my system no longer has this problem.

This is what I did:
    External level:
    1. Got a new $15 case fan.
    2. Modded my HP case (I don't give a ____ about warranty anymore, besides I've overclocked my 9800GT so its pretty much gone) so that there is a new place to mount a fan, its on the top of side panel (removable) blowing outward.
    3. Mounted HP's fan (120mm) to side panel and plugged it straight into the power supply.
    4. Put the 80mm fan ($15) to replace the 120mm so it would stop bugging me about chassis fan fail.
    5. Installed a new hard disk drive

Operating System level:
    1. Downloaded original SM (System Manufacturer's) drivers.
    2. Backed up my data.
    3. Delete the RAID array.
    4. Reformatted my computer.
    5. Uninstalled all of HP's unneeded bloatware (except Cyberlink DVD Suite and Works 9)
    6. Replaced all of HP's drivers with SM drivers.
    7. Disabled RAID Controller in windows device manager.
    8. Used msconfig (System Configuration Utility) to make Vista boot with all 4 cores and stopped nvraidservice.exe from booting.
    9. Used RivaTuner to pump up my 9800GT fan speed.

Its been 2 weeks since I've done this and no problem so far so I'm assuming it's safe to conclude that this might be a possible answer.

oh and guys WHY IS THIS THREAD DYING? AS OF RIGHT NOW, I'M TRYING TO KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE BY BUMPING IT EVERY SO OFTEN BUT I CAN'T DO THIS FOR LONG...
    So please, help.

Sincerely,
    Njthemonster.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Hello, short-time lurker, first time poster, and hp technical service vet here with a dual purpose in this post- to BUMP and to provide more information about this situation.

First off, like most of you, I have the HP Pavilion m9850f computer.  I have had it since mid-November of '08 and the problem occurred late December (just missed the 30day warranty).

My symptoms seems to be Extreme Sluggishness where programs take a long time to start (7 minutes) or won't start up at all.
              Happens almost regularly (Friday or Saturday)
              Hard drive light almost indefinately
              Fan constantly running
              RAID failure

One important piece of information that everyone has been danced around here might be the most crucial- the m9350f computer has a RAID access failure but... and here's the kicker, our computer model ONLY HAS ONE HARDDRIVE- the Seagate 750gig HD...
              From what I have gathered, the RAID is a tool for intercommunication between MULTIPLE hard drives, therefore, the computer should not be having such an issue.

Whenever I talked to a technician from HP west-coast, they said even if there were bad sectors in the HD, the Smart Short Self-test nor the Smart Extended Self-test might not detect it.

I am going to send in my computer this week and hopefully they will fix it.  I will request to know what exactly they did and why to reveal why we are having these problems with a "high-end computer".  I have high hopes because, after reading this thread, most of the regulars have left, probably due to a resolution.  However, it is our duty as customers to band together and help each other out in the face of such blatant disregard for quality goods. 
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:14 PM
  • My Niece had (finally got tired of it) an HP laptop with the same issues.

I diagnosed it down to the HDD controller.  Period.  Whether it be hardware or software (I truly believe it's a combination of the two), it just drags it to a crawl.

I could easily remedy it for her for a couple weeks by walking her through removing the drive controllers through Device Manager, then a reboot re-installs the controllers automatically (no data lost, no reinstall of any software), then it runs fine for a while.

Give it a shot, you're NOT going to erase any data.  Just go to your Device Manager (in WinXP, right-click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager - with Vista, not sure) and right-click on your IDE (or SATA) CONTROLLERS and just delete them.  You may have to delete the Secondary and or Primary Channels before the actual controller (you'll see when you get there).

I know with two other PC's I have I HAVE to use Intel's Application Accelerator (IAA) (Google it) in order to keep my drives running at the proper data-rate for my drives, otherwise, the drives data rate is so slow it takes fooooorrrrever to run applications and access data.  Of course you have to have an Intel MOBO and controller for this to be of use to you.  :)   

If you don't know what an IAA or MOBO is, then forget that last part there.  Removing your drive controller from the Device Manager should be simple for anyone... just don't forget to reboot!

Hope some of this info helps someone!

Dan B
    imtigger2
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Another HP M9350f user here. Same exact problem described by others. Definitely a weird one, and definitely thinking it must have something to do with the HD controller and/or drivers. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about RAID to feel comfortable messing around with the BIOS and whatnot.

Anyone have any new information to contribute?

Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Got a HP Pavillion Media Center M8532f PC and having the SAME blasted problem. It recurs every Saturday evening. It's definitely not a virus or software issue and Task Manager is no help in solving the problem as it reports nothing unusual. So far to solve the problem I just leave the computer on all night as I sleep. When I come back in the morning, lo and behold, everything is back to normal. After reading this thread I'm convinced to stay away from HP in the future.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Has anyone been able to disable the RAID Controller in the M9350F?

I am getting error id 5 - A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0. The source is nvstor64. I don't even use RAID. I have only 1 internal drive.

When things are running well, I get this error every 60 minutes. When the computer freezes, I get the error constantly.

Monday, April 20, 2009 11:08 PM
  • HP has posted a firmware update to the Seagate hard disk drives used in many of their higher end PCs.  The update applies to the Seagate 320, 500, 750, and 1TB drives. 

I think the second fix listed is likely to resolve most of the performance issues listed in this string.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=pv-68339-2&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I see on the HP forums where this update has helped some who have reported similar performance problems.    Hope this helps.

Description 

Seagate SATA Hard Disk Drive Firmware update resolves an issue where the hard disk drive may become inoperable after a power-on.

Fixes 

• Resolves an issue where the hard disk drive may become inoperable after a power-on.
  • Resolves an issue where performance may be degraded for a period of time after heavy disk usage.
  • Updates ST3500620AS, ST3750630AS, and ST31000340AS hard disk drives to firmware version HP26.
  • Updates ST3320813AS hard disk drive to firmware version HP2A.

• Friday, April 24, 2009 8:36 PM
  • I had the same problems with my M9200T Vista 64 slowing down every week at almost the same time......sometimes it took a day or longer to recover....sometimes just a few hours....anyway, it was really annoying and I was just happy when it recovered by itself and everything worked normal again, until the next slow down.................whaaaaaaah!!

Anyway, I have now done this firmware upgrade and keep my fingers crossed hoping the slow downs do not re-occur!

I will definitely report back if they do!

Thanks for all the feed-back....I really thought I was the only one and that maybe I had downloaded some kind of virus...although my security software never found anything!

Take care  y'all.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:46 PM
  • HP has posted a firmware update to the Seagate hard disk drives used in many of their higher end PCs.  The update applies to the Seagate 320, 500, 750, and 1TB drives. 

I think the second fix listed is likely to resolve most of the performance issues listed in this string.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=pv-68339-2&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I see on the HP forums where this update has helped some who have reported similar performance problems.    Hope this helps.

Description 

Seagate SATA Hard Disk Drive Firmware update resolves an issue where the hard disk drive may become inoperable after a power-on.

Fixes 

• Resolves an issue where the hard disk drive may become inoperable after a power-on.
  • Resolves an issue where performance may be degraded for a period of time after heavy disk usage.
  • Updates ST3500620AS, ST3750630AS, and ST31000340AS hard disk drives to firmware version HP26.
  • Updates ST3320813AS hard disk drive to firmware version HP2A.

• Thanks a million for this! Hoping it does indeed solve my issue. Sure sounds like an accurate description of the problem...
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Wow ... Really helpful thread here ...

I have a D4995t that has been driving me nuts ... Rebooting randomly.

It's an Intel RAID Quad core with 500 GB Raid 1

I have spent OVER 60 hours on the phone with HP techs ...

Restored from FACTORY SUPPLIED recovery disks ... Booted to the DVD and left it there ... It rebooted afdter about 20 minutes

Also saw the same slow down as y'all are having ...

How can HP get away with this ____ ... This computer was not cheap ... State of the Art when I bought it ... (Less than a year ago)

AND I have an extended on site warranty which they refused to honor ... I had to finally send it back to HP to reload the system.
    Came back and rebooted before I go all the WINDOWS fixes loaded... .(WHY can't they slipstream SP1 in there!!!)

Thanks for liustening ...

Programming Business Solutions ever since the Abacus!
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Hello I'm back....but this time to report that the HP24 to HP26 Firmware update I did apparently fixed my slow-down problem. It's been 3 weeks now and I haven't had one slow-down since and believe me, my PC is on almost 24/7 and it's running like a train now. I can confidently say the FW update has solved my problem and I'm a happy camper!

Thanks to sumsolstice for posting the solution here, I found it just in time.

Hope you all get yours fixed as well. I can share the frustration of a non-working PC, instead of enjoying it you're trying to fix it for hours if not days....weeks maybe????

Take care now.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:14 PM
  • I posted about a month ago that my M8532f was having the problem recurring every Saturday evening. I did the recommended firmware update too and haven't had a slowdown either in almost a month now. However, I doubt that one month is enough time to judge whether we've found a valid fix.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Whats up guys.  I have the same m9359f computer.  I too also have the same problem.  Tried just about everything except hardware changes.  Although i had the computer for a while (I think almost a year), my computer still slows once a week (usually fridays/saturdays) and what I would do was just let my computer run until it went back to its regular state.  This whole time I had just given up on the problem until today when I found this thread.  My computer was running slow today (couldnt even watch a movie without it lagging every 2-4 seconds), but I did try what Itapaw11 suggested:

Itapaw11 wrote:

Turn off Ready Boost

Turn off Super Fetch

My computer seems to be running fine now after i did this (the movie is running smoothly), but I will see in about another week and repost if the problem still persists.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:27 AM
  • I have had a m9350f since last November and have suffered periodic slowdowns - yesterday the drivelight came on and 1 day later has yet to go out and the machine has slowed to a useless crawl. I have tried the firmware update, but during the process the update tells me that I have the latest firmware installed...I have tried all the other solutions except re-install and re-format and none have wroked so far - any advice?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:48 AM
  • Whats up guys.  I have the same m9359f computer.  I too also have the same problem.  Tried just about everything except hardware changes.  Although i had the computer for a while (I think almost a year), my computer still slows once a week (usually fridays/saturdays) and what I would do was just let my computer run until it went back to its regular state.  This whole time I had just given up on the problem until today when I found this thread.  My computer was running slow today (couldnt even watch a movie without it lagging every 2-4 seconds), but I did try what Itapaw11 suggested:

Itapaw11 wrote:

Turn off Ready Boost

Turn off Super Fetch

My computer seems to be running fine now after i did this (the movie is running smoothly), but I will see in about another week and repost if the problem still persists.

I honestly don't think that's the solution. I tried that and everything else. What finally worked was the firmware update for the hard drive.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I have had a m9350f since last November and have suffered periodic slowdowns - yesterday the drivelight came on and 1 day later has yet to go out and the machine has slowed to a useless crawl. I have tried the firmware update, but during the process the update tells me that I have the latest firmware installed...I have tried all the other solutions except re-install and re-format and none have wroked so far - any advice?

That's weird. Are you positive you downloaded the proper update and followed the instructions to the letter? (Have to ask... it's easy to make simple mistakes like that.) The firmware update is the one and only thing that solved my problem. And it's been solved for a good month or so now...
    • Proposed as answer by pdpfaff Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Yes, as I posted before, the firmware update from HP24 to HP26 did it for me too, no more slow downs for over 4 weeks now as opposed to the slowdowns that I had before every week at almost the same time. You can check in your setting what version of firmware you have. If it's HP24, run the update. When updating mine and following the instructions exactly, all went smoothly and PC has been running great ever since.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830 with Vista 64 and it is not working well at ALL, let alone near-average....
    Examples:
    - I can't access Hulu, or youtube without the video freezing up/lagging
    - Any games I play are just unplayable/unbearable

Any help on what I can do? Anything would help so much, so thank you in advance!
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:42 PM
  • My problems keep getting worse on my M9350F. Every hour (to the second) I get "A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0" event id 5. Occasionally, and this happens at random times, I get the parity once every minute. When this occurs, the HD light stays on constantly and the computer freezes. I updated the BIOS & installed the new firmware for the Seagate drive. Things got better for a few weeks, & then the slowdowns started happening again. HP sent me a refurbished hard drive (I updated the firmware on that one too) which didn't help at all. I finally purchased a Western Digital Hard drive and replaced the Seagate. The computer still froze. I bought another identical WD drive and set up a mirrored raid configuration. No help. Everything freezes. Sometimes it takes hours for the computer to shut down. During one of these episodes I did a chkdsk of the RAID drives, which took over 24 hours (usually it takes about an hour when things are running properly). Smart tests on the drives show that they are fine.

HP tech support is less than useless. I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours yesterday. The person who was helping me didn't know a thing about the problem I was having. She said that she was going to forward my case to a higher level of tech support. I asked her for a case #, she told me to hold on, and then I heard a click, followed by a dialtone a few minutes later. I can't believe that HP can get away with this. It's time to write a leter to the CEO.

I'm ready to junk this machine
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Hi,

I have a Hp a6557 similar problems am about to do a firmware update for the hdd which is on the hp website and claims to solve degrading issues with hdd.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-68339-3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3755442&os=2100&lang=en

might help the a6557 will let you guys know how i get on.

***NEW***

Have recently installed SP2 and turned indexing off on my drives just about to do the firmware update but already since i last rebooted after sp2 update(vista 64) its running quick.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:54 PM
  • I have an high-end PC and Vista 64 and windowns does not get along very well. I loaded sp2 update and my PC froze up.

I want a good OS! Win7?  $$$ *drops dead*
    Friday, June 19, 2009 10:40 PM
  • My system has been stable for several months so I feel pretty confident about my experience.  I'm no guru, but I work in IT and know troubleshooting.  I purchased an HP m9350f from TigerDirect refurbished.  Seemed like a great deal but I got "the slows" after a month.  I loathe contacting tech support so I was determined to fix this myself.  When I see unexplained sluggishness with no apparent cause (all apps and processes are behaving) I get suspicious of hardware.  I ran several different RAM tests and all passed with flying colors.  I then tested the hard drive for defects.  All tests came up clean.  I read through several forum threads and decided to restore the system and fully update.  I updated the BIOS as well as firmware and drivers for pretty much everything I could find.  Still after a week I had the performance trouble.  I restored the system and continued tweaking several times scratching my head...

UNTIL I decided to replace the hard drive and power supply and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  My suspicion is strongly that the hard drive is the culprit.  I strongly recommend trying the hard drive firmware update mentioned in earlier posts.  I don't know if I overlooked this update or if it wasn't available for me at the time.  However, this could be the resolution and would corroborate why I found no physical defects in drive tests.  If it was the power supply, I would be surprised.  In my experience power supply problems lead to shutdowns, not sluggish performance.  I only purchased a 700 watt power supply because I decided to run the old hard drive for non-critical storage space.  I think I could have gotten away with keeping the factory power supply and using just one drive.  For the record I purchased a Western Digital 1 TB drive.  People have different opinions on manufacturers, but I've never regretted using Western Digital in the past.  I also want to concur with "Justrick" above... don't bother disabling services.  With these specs it should smoke Vista out of the box.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:46 PM
  • I also have a HP m9350f pc that and was experiencing those slow downs on a weekly basis. However its been running good for me and I haven't had a single slow down for almost 4 months now. What I did was I bought a new hard drive and loaded onto it a new copy of vista. I didn't use any recovery discs or go through HP, I got an off the shelf version of vista ultimate and installed that. Currently the only HP software on my machine is the stuff for the printer but other than that I got all of the drivers from the manufacturers and like I said its been fine for months now.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:49 PM
  • I dont have a HP computer but I would be mst gratefull if we all can solve this proposed relevant problem I have. see below.

Short story:  my computer has poor HDD performance (30 mb/s).  I had tested the drive thru HD tune and have even switch Sata wires with new ones and I have no change in performance.  After many installs of Windows vista (7-12x) and enabling different settings on my MB, I am lost as to what to do. In addition, I followed the typical raid/achi installation steps. (ie load matrix driver on vista setup etc.). (For a more detailed story look at the last paragraph.)

Below are my current machine and Bios characteristics:

computer: Q6600 (not over clocked) , 2gb (kingston hyper X pc8500 set at 800mhz), 2 HDD in sata port 0 (wdc 3200AAKS, only 1 HDD plugged in set at 3gbs), 8600gt (256mb ddr3), dvd rom, blue tooth mouse and  keyboard (Microsoft ent. 7000).  vista 32bit. bios 1238 most current. no raid.

bios: sata config: enhanced,  pnp play os enabled,   ahci for sata,    eide (at JM micron) for dvd rom,    wifi chip enabled,    2 lan ports disabled, ehci handoff: enabled, max cpuid value limit: disabled, memory remap: disabled, configure dram timing: enabled, static control: auto, hd audio enabled. Everything else is on default i think.

Long story: I was using the computer one day and it suddenly froze.  at first  thought that it was because I was operating with low ram (at the time I had 1gb of 667mhz memory and the rest of the computer setup was the same), so I went and bought 2gbs instead.  So I installed the mem. and the performance was still the same.  Then I noticed that one of my drives was making a clicking sound and I took both of them out and replaced them with new ones (or refurbished) sent from the manufacturer.  I thought that this would make things better, so I installed vista again and to my surprise no real change in performance. 

Ever since replacing the drives and the memory I have tried multiple bios configurations and tried to place the main drive (because I then decided to use only one drive instead of two) on different sata ports and have even tried using different/new sata wires, and in the end it has not brought any significant change (i still average 30mb/s per hd tune and HD tach).  I tried the memory and HDD on another PC and they work fine (HDD gives 88 mb/s on another PC). Lastly I noticed that the graph that HD tune gives me is very rare in which that it is sporadic, instead of starting off at 100/mb/s and ending at 50-70 mb/s (i.e. starting at a high transfer and trailing down smoothly to a lower rate) at the end of the analysis, it alternates between very low and high transfer rates (i.e. shows huge spikes on the graph that alternate between high and low transfer rates).  At first I thought the board was broken but when I sent it to RMA they tested it and they said it was fine. besides if it was broken then the machine would not transfer any info. atleast I believe.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 8:27 PM
  • m9350f user here. I have pretty much read through a lot of this forum posting (took me a while, started to skim too) and was happy and glad to see others with the same issue as me. I have had this unit since around the same time last year, and have had constant systems bogging issues about once a week, like all you others have had. I always get the same "RAID access failure" message on my bottom right hand of the screen, along with an hour, sometimes more, of computer shittiness. One thing I do notice though is that after the bogging is over with, alot of times I will have a vista update awaiting me in my start menu, on my power icon. I am not quite sure the relationship of those two things, because it is sounding like it is not a software issue.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:34 AM