App v 5 and VirtualStore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Working in App-v 5.0, I'm trying to virtualize a web application that requires an old custom Java. Now this virtualized application works fine, but...! Another NOT virtualized application stops working as soon as I install the App-v Package. This non-virtualized application is normally writing  to the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore but as soon as the App-v Package is installed this "UAC Feature" is no longer working. I'm not able to "repair" by uninstalling the package.

All ideas are appreciated!

Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:59 AM

Answers

• I don't know how installing a virtual app would break a local app in this way. Perhaps the registration of ActiveX from the virtual package or some other extension in overriding something from the local app?

But the VirtualStore is evil. Older applications not written with UAC in mind that try to write to protected locations are redirected to the VirtualStore, and this causes issues such as other apps not being able to see the same file, or problems updating that file later on.

It's far better to analyse the application to work out where it's trying to write to (either just look in the virtual store, or analyse with Procmon or SUA) and then grant the Users group write permissions to that file or folder. Then the application will be able to write to the proper location instead of being redirected to the virtual store.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by MerLRmindre Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:28 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:26 AM

All replies

• I don't know how installing a virtual app would break a local app in this way. Perhaps the registration of ActiveX from the virtual package or some other extension in overriding something from the local app?

But the VirtualStore is evil. Older applications not written with UAC in mind that try to write to protected locations are redirected to the VirtualStore, and this causes issues such as other apps not being able to see the same file, or problems updating that file later on.

It's far better to analyse the application to work out where it's trying to write to (either just look in the virtual store, or analyse with Procmon or SUA) and then grant the Users group write permissions to that file or folder. Then the application will be able to write to the proper location instead of being redirected to the virtual store.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by MerLRmindre Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:28 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Thanks Dan,

I was thinking of tweaking the Non-Virtualized app. I know which files/folders involved. But there are lots of users depending on it, so i'ts not a walk in the park.

/Rickard

Thursday, November 13, 2014 10:31 AM