none
Keep Work duration constant even if percent of time devoted is less than 100% RRS feed

• Question

• I have several tasks where the Duration is, let's say, 2 weeks, but the Work is 10 hours.  I'll assign multiple resources to do that 10 hours of work.  I want each of them to expend maybe 3 or four hours but I don't want the Work amount to change. 

I see that if I enter the Resource Names and their percentage and THEN enter the Work effort all is fine.  But if I enter the Work first and the assignments second the Work numbers gets changed -- which is wrong.

How do I handle this?  I've got a whole Project Plan with Duration and Work figured out. Now that I am ready to assign resources I can't imagine I have to re-enter all the Work data.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:25 PM

Answers

• Movements,

It sounds like you have the task default set to be fixed duration non-effort driven and you want them to be fixed work. However if you do that, the duration will change based on the number of resources assigned. Project calculates the schedule using the work equation:

Duration=Work/Units

So if you have work fixed and change the units (i.e. resource assigned), duration will change. You simply can't "fix" all three variables in the equation.

I suggest you start with fixed duration tasks and no work entered. Assign your resources at the estimated level you want. Then enter the work value. Project will re-calculate the unit assignments per the work equation but you won't see those changes when you look at the Resource Names field in the Gantt Chart view. You will need to look at the Resource Usage view and display the Peak field. The Assignment Units field will still show you initial assignment unit levels. This was a change introduced in Project 2010 and has been a source of confusion/consternation by many users.

One other thing to note is that when Project adjusts the assignment levels, it will do so in a linear fashion. If you want to adjust the hours of each resource your can manually set the hours for each period (day, week, etc.).

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:15 PM

All replies

• Movements,

It sounds like you have the task default set to be fixed duration non-effort driven and you want them to be fixed work. However if you do that, the duration will change based on the number of resources assigned. Project calculates the schedule using the work equation:

Duration=Work/Units

So if you have work fixed and change the units (i.e. resource assigned), duration will change. You simply can't "fix" all three variables in the equation.

I suggest you start with fixed duration tasks and no work entered. Assign your resources at the estimated level you want. Then enter the work value. Project will re-calculate the unit assignments per the work equation but you won't see those changes when you look at the Resource Names field in the Gantt Chart view. You will need to look at the Resource Usage view and display the Peak field. The Assignment Units field will still show you initial assignment unit levels. This was a change introduced in Project 2010 and has been a source of confusion/consternation by many users.

One other thing to note is that when Project adjusts the assignment levels, it will do so in a linear fashion. If you want to adjust the hours of each resource your can manually set the hours for each period (day, week, etc.).

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:15 PM
  • Thanks.  That sounds like good advice going forward).  (I've already entered all the Duration and Work values). 
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Movements,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:48 PM