none
Project Charter in MOF.... RRS feed

• General discussion

• Starting to adopt MOF in our IT department. I would value hearing about how others have implemented the transition/handoff between the Portfolio Management MR and the Envision SMF. The Portfolio Management MR references a Project Charter as an output...but in our organization, the Portfolio Management MR takes the form of an IT Steering Committee meeting...with similar inputs (current portfolio, project requests/proposals, etc.), but no where is a Project Charter the output of our ITSC meetings. The only outputs are approve/decline decisions and a re-prioritization of approved backlog of projects. Then I look at the Project Structure and Vision & Scope job aids from the Envision SMF, and from PM perspective, if I combined these two job aids, I'd consider them to be a Project Charter.

I'm curious how others have interpreted and adopted MOF in this area.

Thanks,
    Dan

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:39 PM

All replies

• In places I have been, it usually is a blened approach of having a defined project path for each initiative, that is in turn part of the IT advisory panel.  Also the IT adisory serves as a sanity check (approvals, etc..) for when a business unit comes up with a new need so it can be vetted properly to see if it merits a project or needs to be sent back for a better review or solution.

Realisticly its a blend of SOX, ISO, Projects, approvals, reviews, and sign-offs and paperwork to docuement all the yes, no's and why this is good or bad.

My 2 cents is that MOF is a good suggested framework, that you will have to blend for each users own custom environment.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:23 PM