none
Project Center in PWA, Task/Resource View RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for a view to show Clients in PWA that they can get to in the Web. If our users do not have Project and want to see a task created with resources assigned, is there a view that we can use through Project Center similar to the 'Task Usage' View in MS Project? I want to show this view so that the tasks are shown and resources assigned are there. I know there is a column for resource names, but we want to list them under the task so that we can show their "Actual Work" vs "Work" or "Baseline Work". If you can point me in how we can show this, that would be great help. Also, is there a way we can link a Project URL to take us to that Project View in PWA rather than having to navigate through Project Center and clicking on that particular project?? In other words, can we just use a direct link through the URL to take us to the project directly? Please advise

Johnny Eltawn, Project Server Admin

Monday, September 19, 2016 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Johnny,

I think what would suit you best is in the resource center, then resource assignments. Choosing the timephased date, you can get the planned and actual work by resources/projects/tasks.

You can customize the summary view to add/remove columns on the left part. 

For you 2nd concern, unfortunately, you cannot get an URL pointing to a given view for a given set of resources. For that, you'd have to create a custom report.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Thanks for this. However, we intended to have it through Project Center as the client won't have access to view all user timesheets this way. We want to display certain tasks in a project through the project view in Project Center. Is there a way the URL can be generated to directly bring us to view a particular project?

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Hi Johnny,

As the name tells, the Project Center is at project level, so no way to have task/resource information there. So this is even not a concern about the URL, but about the Project Center that cannot and is not intended to display task information.

As per the URL, there is also no way to point a specific view, Project Center will open on the last view displayed by the users. But you can definitely have an URL pointing to a specific project. Here is how URL are built for project details:

https://<PWA_NAME>.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/project detail pages/<PDP_NAME>.aspx?projuid=<PROJ_UID>

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Thanks for this. Where do I get the PDP_Name and PROJ_UID? Also, is there a way to set a specific view by default for a user in Project Center? Say if we want to only display certain fields, we created a custom view, can we just have that view brought up by default? Or will the user see whatever view is displayed for them and they have to navigate to change view themselves ? 

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

The pdp name can be found under the server settings, project detail pages: you'll have the list of PDPs. For the projuid, simply open a project and check the uid in the url.

For you second question, I already answer: you cannot point to a specific view via an url. When the user will open the project center (including via an url), it will open on the last view used by this user. A workaround would be to associate views to categories, themselves being associated to group with users. Doing this, you can restrict access to views to a specific group of users.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:58 PM