Troubleshooters won't run RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I can't run any of the troubleshooters. For example, if I try to run the "Find and fix problems with Internet Explorer performance", I get the following error:

An error occurred while loading the troubleshooter: An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue. Package ID: Unknown Path: C:\Windows\diagnostics\system\IEBrowseWeb Error code: 0x80070002 Source: Configuration file User: Pavilion\Shane Context: Restricted

I see someone else had this problem, and was able to fix it by enabling diagnostic services. As for myself, the "Diagnostic System Host" is not running. The Startup Type is set to Manual. Also, the Start Service button is dimmed. How can I find out why this service isn't running?

Thanks,
    Shane.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Friday, October 28, 2016 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi cShane,

Are there any error messages recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications)?

"the Start Service button is dimmed"
    This usually means the related registry key or files have been corrupted or we don`t have permission to run it.

Try to run the built-in troubleshooting tool.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting

Please try the following steps.
    1.Open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" to check the health of system files.
    2.Disable the antivirus software temporarily and run the troubleshooting tool in a clean boot environment.
    Clean boot
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/929135

According to the error messages, it seems that there is something wrong with the user account. Please try to login with another account and run the tool.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 31, 2016 1:49 AM
  • Yore error data explains the problem "Restricted" user account.Reset account as administrator,turn off

parental control..If it fails to,start pc in safe-mode,re-edit account,& verify by opening cmd,type: services.msc

in msc,scroll to parental,double click,set to disable,exit,restart pc  retry trouble shooter by R.clicking on the

start-up icon,select "Run as Administrator"

Monday, October 31, 2016 3:38 AM
  • There are hundreds of error messages in Event Viewer. I'm not sure which ones are relevant.

There are not as many local troubleshooters as there are online ones. The ones that I wanted to use are not in the Control Panel.

I ran System File Checker, and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Running the troubleshooters in Safe Mode With Networking didn't help.

I never set up Parental Controls. Also, the Parental Controls service is not running.

I can't seem to find the option to "reset" the Administrator account. Where is this?

Thanks,
    Shane.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 6:00 AM